WTF my shifter fell off

ok the bike has 598 miles and my shifter falls off going down the road WTF,,i went to down shift and no shifter i was like huh WTF where did it go,,luckily the bike has enough power to take off in third because i was in traffic and couldn't get right over,,well i finally get off the road and pull over and figure out that it just came unscrewed,,srew it back in and went home ,,got out the red locktite and she will never move again,,just wondering who else has had this happend too,,locktite it if you havn't,,use the red it will never move again

Nope, haven't had that happen before. JCinTX just posted about that happening to him.

<!--EDIT|BigBSBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117409403 -->

Yup, had the exact same thing happen to me awhile back I posted it up..maybe it shoulda been made sticky under the maint forums but it's prolly lost in the piles of posts by now. But ya you will be fine now that you have loctited it.
Jay

I BROKE mine somewhere around 10,000 miles... the pin snapped clean, and the foot shifter was dangling. I thought, "Hmmm, ya don't see THAT every day."

wow.gif

another victim of "not re-checking the dealer's work"

nobody but me touches my bike. just too dangerous to have a shifter, clutch lever, mirror, etc fall off during a ride!

It happened to me but it was my fault. I had some after-market rearsets put on and didn't tighten it correctly.

Just checked in at 625 miles so I'm taking it to get the 600 mile service this Saturday and won't ride it until then. From what I understand, they double-check all screws and bolts during this servicing so I should be okay. Even so, when I get it home, it'll be checked again by me.

I hear about clutch levers and gearshifts falling off way too often here.

ok the bike has 598 miles and my shifter falls off going down the road WTF,,i went to down shift and no shifter i was like huh WTF where did it go,,luckily the bike has enough power to take off in third because i was in traffic and couldn't get right over,,well i finally get off the road and pull over and figure out that it just came unscrewed,,srew it back in and went home ,,got out the red locktite and she will never move again,,just wondering who else has had this happend too,,locktite it if you havn't,,use the red it will never move again
Thanks for the post!!! I'm going to make sure I check it today. It's not one of the items I normally check during pre-ride inspections.

BigK

saw a couple of threads a few months ago, so I checked mine at the first service and it was loose.

Red loctite baby!
biggrin.gif

Yup mine fell off today during our ride. There I was passing a few cars and in the middle I go and grab another gear and there is nothing there to grab. 1300 miles. Once quick yell on the chatter box and that brought a few friends back to help. Its fixed for good now.

Back