Wow! Have you ever seen this?

mracer29

Registered
My friends 08 Busa, aftermarket extended swingarm. Some how the sprocket bolt came out and almost cut through the swingarm! Ill get better pictures tomorrow.

image-1563417556.jpg

image-1563417556.jpg

Your friend doesn't need to get upset about this at all...he needs to be thankful! That could have ended horribly. Never seen anything like that for sure. I have seen some that have had trouble with the bolt / nuts on the sprocket splitting.

Wow. He's a lucky guy that this didn't go all out.

that is a bad for several reasons...a general nut and bolt...snug them down could have prevented that...locktite and staying up on preventative maint...glad to see he did not hit the ground

Ok so what type bike was this?

most use a stud with a set side from behind and only a nut and washer goes on the front..how would it come out to touch arm when there is less than 1/4" thru hole with no nut or washer on stud...

i have had it happen on a bike i let a friend ride that had aftermarket wheels on it...

My friends 08 Busa, aftermarket extended swingarm. Some how the sprocket bolt came out and almost cut through the swingarm! Ill get better pictures tomorrow.

View attachment 264190

most use a stud with a set side from behind and only a nut and washer goes on the front..how would it come out to touch arm when there is less than 1/4" thru hole with no nut or washer on stud...

I haven't seen it up close yet but, I still don't understand either cause its not like the bolt just backed out and started to rub. That's the nut side of the assembly if the nut backed off and fell off I could understand but the nut and bolt assembly are gone.

a buddy of mine had an evil chromoly drag arm and one of the sprocket bolts loosened and grinded into the arm and them locked up the wheel at about 120 mph on the track. he saved it and didnt get hurt but it grinded into the arm deep b4 the bolt locked into the arm. easy help is locktite

Goldenchild you ask what type of bike?
First four words 'my friends 08 Busa.' :poke:

Mracer I don't know your friend or you really (met you as the bash seemed pretty smart, for a country feller) so ill assume both y'all have a good head about you. So I just wanna ask.
How often does said friend walk,stoop,look and inspect his bike all of it?
I only ask because in my mind something like this would be a problem slowly building until it finally fell out. Bit by bit ride by ride it got looser and looser until it finally failed. To me I don't see that being fine and tight at start up only to completely come out on one ride. You see what I'm saying?
Looks horrible. Glad he did not get hurt. So many other ways that could have ended, on the back wheel, around a high speed corner, the list goes on. Sorry about the bike too.
Just politely saying maybe only maybe a Pre ride Pre flight check could have caught that?
Wasn't there don't know what happened or how thorough he is. I only suggest because I had something similar happen to me with cheap alum sprocket nuts. Upon Pre flight check I saw two were cracked open and spun off with my hand.

Footnote: I grew up in Tn and consider myself a country feller too so I meant no offense by that.

The gen2's have studs that thread into the holes in the hub from the outside, and then nuts to hold the sprocket on.
Looks like the stud just got loose and backed out, then cut away enough of the swingarm until it had room to fall out.
I can't belive he didn't hear or feel it while he was riding.

The gen2's have studs that thread into the holes in the hub from the outside, and then nuts to hold the sprocket on.

then the gen2s suck! Why would they change that from the design on the gen1s? I wonder if you can use a gen1 hub on the gen wheel if so I have an extra he can have for shipping, just for piece of mind

then the gen2s suck! Why would they change that from the design on the gen1s? I wonder if you can use a gen1 hub on the gen wheel if so I have an extra he can have for shipping, just for piece of mind

Yep, first time I changed the rear sprocket on my gen2 one of the nuts was seized on to the stud.
The stud simply unthreaded out of the hub and caused no problem.
I then removed the others and loctited them all.
I always put a small drop of blue on each sprocket nut too.

Looks like the stud just got loose and backed out, then cut away enough of the swingarm until it had room to fall out.
I can't belive he didn't hear or feel it while he was riding.

Bad thing is I rode next to him last week going to bike night and I could hear it clicking, I rode next to him for a few miles just looking at his bike trying to pin point the noise. I guess I forgot about it by the time we got across town. :(

Back