Would you stop a shoplifter?

A manager I had at Winn Dixie was a timebomb, if he caught you stealing he would dang near kill you. I've heard of tales of him beating a shoplifter unconcious and tossing him out the back door in the 1970's.

He had some trouble with a shoplifter one night before closing and tossed this guy out of the store. The stockers had unloaded a truck and stacked paper towel boxes to the ceiling, just as he was in the back cutting the lights out, those boxes were leaning and fell over, he emptied his pistol into the stockroom doors, the book keeper about peed herself.

I'd start yelling at the guy, hey a**hole, why are you stealing all that meat in a very loud voice.

He'd probably get freaked out and run out of the store, all well and good. Then I'd laugh my a** off.

If he made a move towards me to shut me up ( I am a bit on the "eccentric" side and a**holes can see this in my eyes) .....it would be the biggest mistake of his life,because he would see that that was what I actually wanted to happen so I could kick the living sh*t out of him for approaching me in a threatening manner.

Thieves like that are cowards and don't want a fight. At least not with a crazy person.

I'd start yelling at the guy, hey a**hole, why are you stealing all that meat in a very loud voice.

He'd probably get freaked out and run out of the store, all well and good. Then I'd laugh my a** off.

If he made a move towards me to shut me up ( I am a bit on the "eccentric" side and a**holes can see this in my eyes) .....it would be the biggest mistake of his life,because he would see that that was what I actually wanted to happen so I could kick the living sh*t out of him for approaching me in a threatening manner.

Thieves like that are cowards and don't want a fight. At least not with a crazy person.

That's pretty much how it all went down, were you there? :rofl:

Yes and no, in my store they have an alotted amount allready set aside in finance ready to cover lost or stolen. This is beyond insurance. Banks are the same. They generally are insured for a certain amount that is unpunishable to you the consumer. This is why they only allow you to have a certain amount in the accounts.

there isn't any no to it, it ALL gets passed on to the customer...we know approximately how much is lost to shrink each year and it is figured into our prices so the honest customer pays for it...we know how much insurance is going to cost us for the year and it is figured into our prices so the honest customer pays for it...if shrink starts to ramp up, we raise our prices

at the end of the day, the customer pays for everything...if they choose to turn their heads and not let us know of someone trying to steal, they will end up paying for it later! i agree that they do not need to try to accost the shoplifter, all they need to do is let one of my employees know so we can "offer them some assistance" in finding what they need

I had some size on this guy as I am not exactly small, but after we went back to shopping, we pass this guy and he's about 6'10 300 lbs, next isle pass aguy about 6'8' 300lbs, then another one 6'6 300lbs, I looked at my wife and I said crap, it looks like I am the little guy now.

That was brave of you Doug, Im glad nothing bad happen.:thumbsup:
Be carefull if you decide to start looking for shoplifters from now on.:laugh:

I was in Loss Prevention Years ago....There is NO Theft Unless the Person's leave the store with the Merchandise.:rulez: Get them outside and you have a case. !

Semi - I wasnt saying no completely I do agree with you. I was just saying that it isnt as much as if everything stolen was brought back to the customer. Yes after a certain dollar amount all business trickle the costs down. And yes the people who let it happen are going to pay for it. That is the only thing I like about my job, I actually live up to the stores slogan lmao.

Bosshound - Your right, same thing with us they have to be past the last register. I know Target says they have to be out of the doors. But with us they just have to be in the vestibule.

Same here, people are crazy nowadays, ya never know what they're gonna do. Could be some tweeker tryin to get some cash for his drugs, he flips and stabs ya. I know, worst case and likely wont happen, but Im a wee bit paranoid:whistle:

You did a good thing tho Doug, this lil Frog is proud of ya:beerchug:

I'm with you ppl are crazy !!

I deal with lots of groceries store managers at work !!

Once a manager tried to stop someone running out the door , needless to say - manager got stabbed twice in like half a second :(

Not worth it

I used to stop them but I wouldn't bother now. - The way this country is going, I'd be the one who would end up in court, FFS...

ok- stealing is wrong, but i gotta play devils advocate here- we all know the country is on hard times- this guy was obviously not a pro- so what if he was just hungry? i mean $240 worth might b a little much, but as the saying goes-'in for a penny, in for a pound'- maybe he figured if he was gonna do it, he might as well make it count... i dont know- just sayin...

as far as stopping a shoplifter, HELL NO! people got guns and i dont need no more holes in me... i would let the store handle it- i would tell someone and go about my business: thank you, have a nice day, you want fries with that?:beerchug:

ok- stealing is wrong, but i gotta play devils advocate here- we all know the country is on hard times- this guy was obviously not a pro- so what if he was just hungry? i mean $240 worth might b a little much, but as the saying goes-'in for a penny, in for a pound'- maybe he figured if he was gonna do it, he might as well make it count... i dont know- just sayin...

as far as stopping a shoplifter, HELL NO! people got guns and i dont need no more holes in me... i would let the store handle it- i would tell someone and go about my business: thank you, have a nice day, you want fries with that?:beerchug:

If he was stealing a can of pork and beans, i might have tossed him some money, but he was stealing those steaks to sell or trade for drugs.

And for the record, i wasnt scared.....i had the .org on speeddial. :thumbsup:

You showed courage, you are a man, everybody else can ignore it and throw reasons out why "they wouldn't get involved" but the bottom line is you reached deep into your values and produced an involved citizen. I salute you and am proud to be your fellow citizen. Raydog

Depended on how big and how crazy the shoplifter looked, but hell yes I'd try to stop him! I hate freakin theives, whether shoplifters or bike theives...

The more you let crap like this go on, as if "it's ok", the more it's going to happen; you gotta stamp this stuff out EVERY TIME...the more people realize that 'crime doesn't pay' the less likely they are to commit it...

Just like on United Flight 93 on 9-11; those PoS Terrorists got away with it because, intitally, too many people were afraid to 'get involved' with the punks with the boxcutters, which gave them the initial advantage...but I'll bet it doesn't happen again, because now anytime someone shows a boxcutter, EVERYBODY on the dang plane had better jump on him! The Shoebomber sure got a nasty surprise...

You better make up your mind now what you are gonna be: Sheep, Wolf or Sheepdog...

And to the employee who let the manager get a whoopin outside in the parking lot...I hope he fired your azz...that person was stealing from YOUR JOB which paid YOUR PAYCHECK and is a cost to YOUR EMPLOYER. Whether you liked the manager or not, that was pretty pitiful and I'd be ashamed to post it. You may not like your manager, but I'll bet you liked the paycheck you got every week.

you showed courage, you are a man, everybody else can ignore it and throw reasons out why "they wouldn't get involved" but the bottom line is you reached deep into your values and produced an involved citizen. I salute you and am proud to be your fellow citizen. Raydog

+1000 Think about what kind of country we'd have if more people had these values.

You showed courage, you are a man, everybody else can ignore it and throw reasons out why "they wouldn't get involved" but the bottom line is you reached deep into your values and produced an involved citizen. I salute you and am proud to be your fellow citizen. Raydog

:werd:

Doug you are a standup citizen. Nice job.

Hey, I like all your remarks guys, it just shows the difference in all our opinions which is what I wanted to hear. The show on ABC asks "what would you do".

I wasnt looking for a pat on the back or a scourning either, but I got them all.

Back