Would you re-tune ?

Dozerdriver

Registered
Ok, my bike has a custom tune by another shop and the target A/F was 13.1 I have been reading that this might be on the lean side due to the ram air at high speeds. The bike does run great with a smooth power band and I have been putting a bunch of miles on it since the tune with no issues. The plugs when I changed them looked fine to. I plan on going to the drag strip a bunch this year and don't want any issues. There is a shop in MD that has a tuner ( Shawn at cycle connections ) that has many years of tuning under his belt. Should I for piece of mind just have him go over my bike and re tune it? From what I have read the target A/F should be 13.4 or close to it...
Thanks, Dozer.

well if your bike is running at 13.1:1 then your richer than the 13.4:1 you read about. If I were you I would talk to Shawn and ask what his thoughts are. He might say it's not worth remapping. Really though on a dyno the "target" shouldn't be so focused on the a/f ratio but whatever the engine wants. It might like a little more or less in certain areas.

The last option is to leave it alone. Since the bike runs fine through the gears and rpm why change it. A few drag passes aren't going to kill your engine. If you're still concerned you could always fill up with premium and add a little octane boost before racing.

well if your bike is running at 13.1:1 then your richer than the 13.4:1 you read about. If I were you I would talk to Shawn and ask what his thoughts are. He might say it's not worth remapping. Really though on a dyno the "target" shouldn't be so focused on the a/f ratio but whatever the engine wants. It might like a little more or less in certain areas.

The last option is to leave it alone. Since the bike runs fine through the gears and rpm why change it. A few drag passes aren't going to kill your engine. If you're still concerned you could always fill up with premium and add a little octane boost before racing.

I got them reversed...13.1 is what it should be and mine is the 13.4 ...sorry. I talked to the shop and they know who tuned my bike and suggested it be re tuned... thats why I asked on here.

I would get it retuned but that's me. Again though, you've lived with it tuned like this for many miles and if your plugs still look good then it can't be to bad for daily use. If the engine is smooth in different gears/loads/throttle/rpm then it can't be to bad of a tune for the street. Since you wanna just have some 1/4 mile fun I would just toss some non-oxygenated gas in it and have fun. If you wanna run an oxy mix then I would retune.

Back