Would you or wouldn't you toss it?

2hip

Registered
In the final stages of winter mods and paint for my 08...I think the steering dampner on the 08 is a joke for a dampner. I have a Scott's dampner on my race bike and seriously considering putting one on my Busa...so, the question is...if you put the Scotts on..do you toss the oem dampner? It just seems like extra weight up high that is worthless metal versus the Scott's that can be set to any speed or road conditions with your left hand on the fly.

My second question deals with can the Scotts be attached to any triple tree or do certain triple tree's design prevent the addon? thanks for your replies.
2hip

Id try and sell the stocker, I dont know that its anything other than weight with the scotts on. I think you can install on stock clamp with provided hardware, not positive on that tho

There's a couple good threads about this. Ohlins makes a great replacement for factory location.
Posted via Mobile Device

On Gen1's when they install a GPR stabilizer, they usually always ditch the stock one...
The only reason I could see of keeping it, is to always make sure it's never too loose...

The OEM damper is still on my bike. And the Scott's looks very much at home in the stock triple tree (the GOLD color is a bonus since I have a blue/gold bike) :thumbsup: No idea with aftermarket units though

DSC00526.jpg

Last edited:
Some guys are just putting different oil in the stock dampener. That would be a very cheap fix if it works for you.

Put the Scotts on there, but keep the stock one. You may never know when you may need to use the stock one.

I was always under the impression if you install an aftermarket Damper....you should remove the OEM unit.

"Put the Scotts on there, but keep the stock one. You may never know when you may need to use the stock one."
That's incorrect and possibility dangerous advice as excessive steering damping can contribute to weave.

Remove the stock damper, if you add an aftermarket unit.

Kevin Camron Sport bike performance Handbook, page 103, 9th paragraph, 5th sentence.

"...a steering damper isn't much use against weave, and may even make it worse."

cheers
ken

Last edited:
dual dampers with different rates doesn't sound like a good thing to me. I always only run one damper. When I've upgraded the shocks or struts on a car I replace the old with the new. I've never tried to keep both shocks/struts. :laugh:

ordered the Scott's damper yesterday...with 9% California state sales tax...ouch!!! 2hip

For the right org. member I will sell you my oem damper for less than 500 dollars...barely used:rofl: 2hip

ordered the Scott's damper yesterday...with 9% California state sales tax...ouch!!! 2hip

For the right org. member I will sell you my oem damper for less than 5.00 dollars...barely used:rofl: 2hip

You forgote the decimal. Fixed for you. :beerchug:

Just wondering, has anyone experienced any bad headshake or tankslappers with the stock unit? This is my 7th streetbike and the first one that hasn't shown any signs of stability issues at any time(so far).

I was always under the impression if you install an aftermarket Damper....you should remove the OEM unit.

Takeuon is correct...think about it...why in the world wouldja drop big buck$ on a high end super smooth hydraulic radial dampener complete with bike specific machined mounting hardware and then leave the stock piston type oem pos still on there?...the big deal about a radial dampener is that it is super smooth in operation and unlike the stock piston type dampener the radial is..."On-The-Fly Adjustable"...tune to taste as/while you ride...thad be like adding static interference to your HDFM stereo. On the other hand?...

the stock unit is just dandy...provided you're willing to change the weight of the oil in it to a heavier weight...castrol makes some 100 & 120 wt gear oil that can turn the stock unit into a smooth operator and "tune-to-taste" by swapping out the different weight gear oils till ya find the one that suits your steering feel best..but you should also make certain that your steering head bearings are properly adjusted (for proper steering head tension) before fine tuning in a steering damper itself...jmho and...

L8R, Bill. :cool:

When I installed my GPR damper the instructions were very specific that you remove the old damper. The instructions for the Scott's will probably be the same. :whistle:

Back