Would you buy a Replica Supercar?

I would not own or buy a replica car of a Lambo or Ferrari, or similar. Mainly because as noted they don't look the part and generally don't perform at anything close to the same level. If you do get one that does both, you could have bought yourself the real deal for roughly the same money. Granted your replica will be new and perhaps based on a more serviceable platform but still begs the question of why. I mean if you want a Lambo or Ferrari you should figure out a way to own one. You probably want to make sure you research it though, generally speaking they are as expensive to own/operate as they are to purchase :banghead:

That said, I would certainly buy/own or perhaps build if the time was available certain kit cars. The folks at https://www.factoryfive.com/ have some pretty amazing ones and while some are styled off older cars (Shelby Cobra for example) others are not. If I were to buy one, I would make it my own and not worry as much about making it look like an original....guess maybe others would want you to believe they take their $250k car out for the hell of it all the time :whistle:

Bottom line. If you want the car, find a way to afford one or find a model that does what you want for less money. There's certainly other cars what will spank a Lambo/Ferrari/etc for a ton less money. :thumbsup:

Superformance-Shelby-Cobra-Daytona-Coupe-2008-Photo-04.jpg

He!! Yeah I'd buy a replica, if I had the money....

cheers
ken

I didn't even think about the GT-40's, cobras and Stratos,replicas, I would definitely go for one of those, they don't try to be something else, rather they pay omage to the greats. :thumbsup:

only until you came to one of those dastardly things called a "turn" ... ;)

It's true that Mustangs don't like to go around corners...stock.
You can most certainly build one that will.
The $40k will cover donar car engine, trans, rearend, tune, ect., as well as the suspension needed to handle, and handle very well.
That same street legal 500+hp smallblock will also do over 200mph. It'll also have cruise control, ac, and be dependable enough to drive cross country. All the while getting double the gas mileage of a Lamborghini.
Parts are also readily available.
I'm talking about building an American supercar, not a 1/4 mile monster.:beerchug:

It's true that Mustangs don't like to go around corners...stock.
You can most certainly build one that will.
The $40k will cover donar car engine, trans, rearend, tune, ect., as well as the suspension needed to handle, and handle very well.
That same street legal 500+hp smallblock will also do over 200mph. It'll also have cruise control, ac, and be dependable enough to drive cross country. All the while getting double the gas mileage of a Lamborghini.
Parts are also readily available.
I'm talking about building an American supercar, not a 1/4 mile monster.:beerchug:

All true,,but no flair, where's the lamborghini loonicy! :laugh:

As romanitc as those kit cars can be when you think about Italian styling my choice is pretty simple. Here is one of the best kept secrets in the car hobby that I know of. It is estimated about 500 to a 1000 of these are still sitting in garages around the country because car collectors thought these cars would be a great investment back in 1990. The link is a nice example of what a good "bang for the buck" could be for an affordable price. It would easily cost you about 50 to 60K to replicate this ZR-1. The beauty is the Lotus designed 4 cam 32 valve 16 injector motor that is as tough as an anvil. If you like your car modified the work is all done with this one. You could make a stroker out of it and take it out to 415 cubes which many have done. With 1.6 to 1.7 hp per cube you can see what a stroker nets you at the wheels when you put the big crank in it.

91 ZR1 for sale 23k miles - Corvette Forum

Here is mine.

1991 ZR1

To answer the primary question.....some replicars are junk, some are OK and some are BETTER than the original. An example of better is the Catterham, copy of the original Lotus Super Seven (not to put down the beautiful Lotus, just comparing performance and sophistication). Doyle

Oh ya... that car with the super cool V-8 Hayabusa cylinders and heads ... custom made Block... Got any spare change Raydog ?

I didn't even think about the GT-40's, cobras and Stratos,replicas, I would definitely go for one of those, they don't try to be something else, rather they pay omage to the greats. :thumbsup:

Yea VA and you.. I fell in love with GT40 when i was just a little...kid
I will also never ever forget going into a Ford Dealership when i was about 9..... there on a rotating table was a for real Shelby Cobra 427..WOW Plus they one each GT350 & GT500 Mustangs. :please:

Yea VA and you.. I fell in love with GT40 when i was just a little...kid
I will also never ever forget going into a Ford Dealership when i was about 9..... there on a rotating table was a for real Shelby Cobra 427..WOW Plus they one each GT350 & GT500 Mustangs. :please:

Don't get your facts messed up. The wheel wasn't even invented when Vabs was a kid... :poke:

Back