Worth Buying Boots

Gpmo

Registered
Ok i did a search and found lots of Boots threads, but none on if its worth it.
This may seem a dumb question but..

I normally wear a good pair of boots either Cats or Nikes they are comfortable and extra layers for work boots. Is it worth buying the riding boots and what are the advantages over regular work boot? I had never really thought about wearing them unless on motocross or racing. For average street riding and touring regular boots seemed fine to me.... but now i'm wondering.

Also would a pair of riding boots help with any of the heat generated by the exhaust being right at your feet? Thats really nice in the winter but i am wondering if the heat will be over powering in the summer.

Thanks for your opinions in advance

Personally, you cannot have enough protection...dress for the slide, not the ride. Yes, they are worth it and I always wear "bike-specific" boots with Alpinestars and Sidi as my favorites. I also have Icon and Joe Rocket but only use them for short trips.
P.S. Some boots come perforated.

I view street riding as being more dangerous than track riding honestly. At least on a track everyone is going the same direction and the flow is stopped or slowed down when someone goes down - not to mention there are trees, light poles, road signs, and a million other things to slam into. Look at it this way though, taking everyone else and obstructions out of the equation: You low side on the street at 35-60 mph, what is the difference between the protection you would need there versus the protection you would need on the track going down at the same speeds?

If you can afford the gear, I say get it. Work boots are simply not made to wreck in, they are constructed with a completely different focus. I went down in my old work boots going 35ish and they were pretty messed up and they were high quality boots. Ankle protection is very important as well. You should always get the best gear you can afford. You can earn money in less time than it takes to heal a broken ankle.

motocross boots tend to rund up to mid-calf, are very heavy duty, but most will not offer the flex-ability to operate with sportbike rear-sets. in fact i cannot even shift gears with mine on.

I wouldn't have a left foot if it wasn't for the fact I was wearing my AXO premato's at the time, instead I just got a fracture that took 6 mnths to heal and alot of physio !
Its your call :beerchug:

Thanks for all your input, i am going to goto the store on saturday and try on some boots. Hopefully i will be able to find a good pair in my budget.

I still have a nice pair of size 12 AlpineStars SMX in the classified sction if anyone is interested. :whistle:

You must have delicate feet. I have never noticed any heat down there....

I got my TCX Competizone RS boots on closeout for $199.tried them out for the 1st time last weekend and love the feel and feel much safer with them on. Latteral support is one of the features of a good race boot.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok so Dumb question but I have been looking at getting a pair of boots myself; however, local dealers to me do not have them laying around to try on. Do the sizes run similar to a standard boot/shoe??

One thing to think about I don't see mentioned yet...most bike boots don't have shoe laces to get tangled where most work boots do...

Get one tangled in your peg one time when stopping for a stop light and it'll make you think a little bit more about it

I had a BRAND NEW pair of SIDI Vertigo's sitting under my tree for Christmas and some scumbag thieves broke into our house on December 7th and stole most everything out of our house...even all the Christmas presents we had under our tree...including my new boots under there.... Only had tried them on to make sure they fit:banghead:

Sad part is my wife had told me just a few days before the robbery to go ahead and get the boots and use them, not to leave them under the tree... But I wanted to open them on Christmas day:banghead::banghead:
If I had just opened them and put them in the storage room with my other gear, they would still be here... now some scumbag has probably got'em on....makes me sick

GOD is good though y'all.... we are slowly recovering...just got another laptop so that I can now get back on the board here:thumbsup:

I just pray the scumbags turn their lives around 'cause if they don't they will answer for what they have done when they stand before GOD...

you're kidding, right?
was wearing workboots when i got ran off the road almost a year ago- still have a nasty looking scar on my ankle- wont catch me without my ankle reinforced riding boots.

kithro has it right, i think
i wear my racing boots when riding for fun, otherwise i always wear icons or teknic street boots. though my teknics didn't last NEARLY as long as the icons.. the motocross enclosure system broke.. it was all plastic. the icons i had (which i got about 6 years ago, now) had metal pieces to hold everything tight

Back