will it hurt to run without the exhaust cans?

96mustang_james

Registered
i have my cans off because i have some 2 bros boltons that will be here monday and some friends want to go riding, will it hurt my bike to run with out the cans for today?

No, won't hurt at all!
wink.gif

probably not be good for anybody around you and their hearing.

plus.. it's not like it takes a whole afternoon to pop the canisters on and off.

Its going to be pretty loud. It won't hurt anything while your riding, but if it is cold outside, you might want to stuff a rag in each exhaust pipe when you stop to keep any cold air from damaging any of the valves. And don't forget to remove the rags before you restart the bike  
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|BA BUSA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111271931 -->

started mine up without um and they rroooaaaarrrr:D

<!--EDIT|paulos
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111263466 -->

You'll be running lean I would think.  Thats not good on the bike. :shrug:
am i getting fished?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
? HEY! ,DONT RUN THE BIKE WITHOUT AN EXHAUST CAN, MORON! it might not damage the bike,however it will create a dangerously lean situation that is made worse by the fact that the stock fueling is too lean already! if your lucky the bike won't seize all four pistons

rock.gif

not that bad for a short period of time
sorry about the tone,i had to end a five year relationship and i'm pissed,didnt mean to take it out on you
and its raining & i cant do the one thing i want to right now,ride fast and get my mind off of it

You'll be running lean I would think.  Thats not good on the bike. :shrug:
am i getting fished?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
? HEY! ,DONT RUN THE BIKE WITHOUT AN EXHAUST CAN, MORON! it might not damage the bike,however it will create a dangerously lean situation that is made worse by the fact that the stock fueling is too lean already! if your lucky the bike won't seize all four pistons
Thrasherfox has removed his cans and cut down his mid pipes to about 6 inches.....and other than the sound of the bike has had no problems what so ever.

rock.gif

This was a subject of a letter to the editor in one of the bike mags that I get. A guy with a Busa wanted to run it without the cans. They wrote back to him and told him that the lack of back pressure would definitely damage the engine.

The Busa's midpipes are enough of a restriction that no BS Cans shouldn't be a problem. BUT, For the love of god, Just put the pipes on their so you don't look like a freak...
wink.gif

If your running a full system, without the can? Your prolly going to hurt your motor, Run too lean, Make WAY TO MUCH NOISE. But with a Factory exhaust in place, the midpipes are so restrictive that you'll prolly be just fine.

he changed the fuel air ratio though right?
Nope....stock bike. No PC, stock air box and filter.....I ride with him. The bike has no hesitation or back firing and he has run it like this for quite awhile. It's an 03    
race.gif
alright,you win,im stupid,im sorry
Its not a win or lose situation, the original poster just wanted to ride today and has his cans off, waiting for bolt-ons. I wouldn't ride it like that because of the noise. And I agree that long term that it could cause damage, but if there is no performance issues....back firing, hesitation, lack of power....to each his own.

If you run without the cans on, it WILL more than likely backfire (been there done that), it WILL run too lean (been there done that too). it will run so lean you can smell it.

What I did was leave about 6 to 9 inch extensions on the headers. These created enough of a back pressure where I have not had any problems.

But I would not recommend going without ANY back pressure.

Just my .02

Back