Exhaust without Baffles

BigANT

Registered
I got some chrome tips
laugh.gif
from ebay that connect right under the foot pegs. They look good but no baffles. I don't have a power commander either, will this hurt the bike running it without baffles?

race.gif

A ton of opinions on this so here is mine.......I was looking at doing the same thing. I talked w/ a good friend of mine, who just happens to be a bike mechanic. No baffles means no backpressure. No backpressure means that your HP #'s wont be near as high, bike will run like shid and you will at some point trash your valves. May be at 1K miles may be a 10 or 20K miles, but the valves will get trashed.

A ton of opinions on this so here is mine.......I was looking at doing the same thing.  I talked w/ a good friend of mine, who just happens to be a bike mechanic.  No baffles means no backpressure.  No backpressure means that your HP #'s wont be near as high, bike will run like shid and you will at some point trash your valves.  May be at 1K miles may be a 10 or 20K miles, but the valves will get trashed.
(At least) one error in this post.

No HEADERS = no backpressure.
No BAFFLES = still has backpressure through the headers.

I won't tell you what way to go, but my bike is setup without mufflers. I'd recommend a PCRIII for performance reasons, but people have run this setup without one.

A ton of opinions on this so here is mine.......I was looking at doing the same thing.  I talked w/ a good friend of mine, who just happens to be a bike mechanic.  No baffles means no backpressure.  No backpressure means that your HP #'s wont be near as high, bike will run like shid and you will at some point trash your valves.  May be at 1K miles may be a 10 or 20K miles, but the valves will get trashed.
(At least) one error in this post.

No HEADERS = no backpressure.
No BAFFLES = still has backpressure through the headers.

I won't tell you what way to go, but my bike is setup without mufflers. I'd recommend a PCRIII for performance reasons, but people have run this setup without one.
True. . . But the amount of pressure is a rather large difference. It will still wear things out quicker.

If less back pressure equates to less horsepower why is it so loud at the strip?

Your exhaust (after cylinder ignition) needs to be "tuned" to your modifications on the A/F side and is done externally by pipe diameter, header design, pipe length and/or baffles. Your A/F (before cylinder ignition) needs to by "tuned" to your modifications on your exhaust side and is done externally by a PCIII, air filter and/or injectors. The third stage would be internal modification like pistons, valves, springs, etc...

PCIII and Exhaust should always be done as a package IMO.

beerchug.gif

If less back pressure equates to less horsepower why is it so loud at the strip?

Your exhaust (after cylinder ignition) needs to be "tuned" to your modifications on the A/F side and is done externally by pipe diameter, header design, pipe length and/or baffles. Your A/F (before cylinder ignition) needs to by "tuned" to your modifications on your exhaust side and is done externally by a PCIII, air filter and/or injectors. The third stage would be internal modification like pistons, valves, springs, etc...

beerchug.gif
Quoted for truth.

The stock header is pretty restrictive as is.. but more than likely your a/f ratio will still be off by running mid pipe dumps. I ran mufflers without baffles for a bit. I did lose some low end tq, but the sound was phenomenal! It's a trade off... I would hold off on the PCIII till you get an intake as well.. that way you only need 1 session to tune.

OK, here's one decenting opinion, an aftermarket exhaust system (or bolt ons) gives the bike personality without the incredibly offensive(to everyone that is not a motorcyclist) noise on public streets. Lawmakers simply tighten up laws AND enforcement of laws proportional to the public's outcry for enforcement. IMO, open headers/no mufflers on the street are an irresponsible slap in the face to all motorcyclists. What's the point? Is it like a tatoo on your face? I guess that makes me a close minded old dude that wants to step on others' freedom. Whatever...Raydog

beerchug.gif
Snaps right...less backpressure doesn't hurt anything but your low end torque...it increases peak hp. But you should do mods as a combo.....air filter/pcIII/exhaust together. Baffle-free shorties will need a pc to run their best
winkold.gif

OK, here's one decenting opinion, an aftermarket exhaust system (or bolt ons) gives the bike personality without the incredibly offensive(to everyone that is not a motorcyclist) noise on public streets. Lawmakers simply tighten up laws AND enforcement of laws proportional to the public's outcry for enforcement. IMO, open headers/no mufflers on the street are an irresponsible slap in the face to all motorcyclists. What's the point? Is it like a tatoo on your face? I guess that makes me a close minded old dude that wants to step on others' freedom. Whatever...Raydog
goodboy.gif
lol1.gif

Running baffle-less will lead to less low end power and a rich condition due to the unnecessary fuel for the less restrictive combination. You will have more high rpm power "potential" but will need to dyno tune the machine in order to achieve a proper Air/Fuel ratio. I have a custom made pair of cans that are built straight through similar to a race set along with the big box mod and a less restrictive collector modification to the stock header. They sound phenomenal, like a GP 1000 machine only a bit narlier. When speeding down the highway at WOT and high speed, the thing absolutely sings and power is definitely improved. There is no tune on my bike so my efficiency and mileage suffers. I currently see no better then 30MPG average. Too lazy to put a tune on it since I don't have any proper tuners nearby when I am in town in Sarajevo.

Do as you will but optimizing it correctly is critical in case you are concerned about fuel mileage.

You can get shorties with baffles.
Shorties that just come out under the peg? Got a link?
Thanks,
Shawn
VooDoo These use stock headers are are duals.

Boz Bros B2 Moira These are a full system with headers and only 1 exit on the right side aka throttle side.

There is the homemade kind that can have baffles installed and found on ebay that look like car/truck tips.

There is the custom kind you can have made or even find them on ebay also.

There is the midpipe mod you can do yourself.

There is the rewelded midpipe one that I have seen on ebay before.

There is the muffler mod you can do yourself.

There is the shorty mufflers you can just cut down.

Back