Will high fuel prices change your plans?

No changes. Already conserve all I can without getting crazy about it. Already ride the bike everywhere I can for pleasure, so no real up swing in that area.

I think it's more related to th guys that tow down to a location. They're not getting 40+ mpg in a tow vehicle. Granted, if their round trip tow is 1k miles and price has gown up by a dollar it's still only increasing their costs less than 100 bucks.
I just did some rough math and I normally put on 12500 miles a year. Even if gas goes up 50 cents/gallon that's only an extra $130 for the whole year. Why would anybody change their plans?

Higher deisel prices will change my travel plans some. I will most likely stay closer to home this year and do some long weekends on the bike. Plus track days here and there.

My plans aint changin for nothing... I would rather spend a little extra money and have a week of fun with good friends than sit at home just to save a couple bucks.

Member you only live once.. and you cant take the money with you.

Over here petrol is at it's highest, about 8 dollars a Gallon. Ouch.
Riding fast across Europe is getting really expensive...

My plans aint changin for nothing... I would rather spend a little extra money and have a week of fun with good friends than sit at home just to save a couple bucks.

Member you only live once.. and you cant take the money with you.

I say AMEN to that!!!

I just did some rough math and I normally put on 12500 miles a year. Even if gas goes up 50 cents/gallon that's only an extra $130 for the whole year. Why would anybody change their plans?

Maybe you are right, the gap is only 130 USD more but

Let me give you what differs for outside US&the other "petrol rich" countries ;

While a galon is 3,40 USD in US, 9,50 USD is needed to purchase the same amaount of gas.

If we re-math according to your count I have to invest for 12.500 mile even if efficient m/gal consumption yearly (6,5lt/100 km);

12.500 mile = 20.100 km(app.)
20.100 / 100 x 6,5 = 345 us gal. (app.) 1 us gal is eq. tı 3,79 lt

Result;
same trip in United states fuel costs 1173 USD
same trip in Türkiye fuel costs 3277 USD

Isn't this quite a BIG difference ?

Was still trying to put together the spring bash, but to tow the trailer down and back would be almost $600 in fuel for the truck. If I go I'll ride the busa.

That is why we started a carpool thread for our area.

I'm trading in the truck saturday and getting a new Chevy HHR Panel. It will get twice the mileage of truck, and have no problem trailering the Busa out of state. :thumbsup:

It will change our travel plans for sure, But it WILL NOT slow us down riding the bike anywhere, Now if I could just talk my wife into riding to the bash, But there is no way that will happen, Heck we would have to get a divorce once we got there:laugh:

I am going to put in a lot of seat time this year for sure. Since I just bought my jeep that gets a whoppin 12mpg on average. That is reduced to my weekend toy. Of course those are the weekends I am not putting in even more seat time on the buski.

If anything, the gas prices will make me ride more. My Acura gets about 32 MPGs (best) and my Busa gets 50.0 MPGs even when I'm just cruising.

That is why we started a carpool thread for our area.

I'd suggest making sure you nail that budget up prior to leaving as best you can, including who's going to shell out the funds along the way...it adds up quickly :banghead:

I fronted all the money for my trip as it was easier for me that way. I had 4 bikes in the trailer and it was still ridiculously $$$ after food, gas, tolls, hotel (even sharing a room), gas for the bike, random crap you always buy, other random purchases that come with a 1800+ mile road trip. I split the first few hundred miles with Froggy and then had a 4way split south of bmore and it was still 600 or more out of pocket all in AND gas was .50-.90/gal cheaper then :11doh:

Putting that into realistic value:
Dec Oil for the house - $500
Jan Oil for the house - $540
Feb Oil for the house - $640

Even without my trip to Germany/UK in May (my primary reason I cant do the bash) a weekend of riding isn't worth the same outlay as heating the house for a month. If I was closer it would be a no brainer as the bash is a great time with fantastic people and amazing riding.

I think the distance is going to be the killer for most of the big rides unless it is the main vacation in people's plans. I'm hoping to get to ride to a few events, perhaps Americade or getting something setup for the New England area riders.

I am guessing some were trailering their bikes there and did the math as well, vehicle hauling an enclosed trailer suck up a little bit more petro than the Busa:laugh:

It want change my plans. With the increase of 40 cents per gallon, that means an additional .009 cents per mile at my 43 mpg. So a 1,000 mile trip will cost me exactly $9.00 more. And if I can't pay $9 bucks more for a 1,000 mile trip, well I'll sell the bike. You can EAT less and make up the $4.50 per day (at 500 miles per day) increase :laugh:

Back