Who's contemplating a Re Finance?

Have you considered refinancing your mortgage?

• Yes

Votes: 50 73.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Up until now I didn't know it was this good! Going to check on it ASAP

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
With record low interest rates now being offered the urge to resist was futile! The wifey and I ran down to the sister-in-laws Mortgage Co and did the refi thing.... Interest rates were at 4.72% yesterday! Woo Hoo I'm told that these are some of the lowest rates seen in over 37 years!
:cheerleader::cheerleader:

Yup! The wife and i was told a year and a half ago bye an old noligeable man. That if he were us he would wait b/c he thought that this what was goin to happen. We have just got approved for our 1st house 2 days ago. And today we are supposed to know if the seller accepted our offer. So we are keeping our fingers crossed and putting it in gods hands. Congrats on your re-finance.

Yea I just did got 1.2% better. Really I did it to use my eqity(sp) to buy 10 acres to build on in the future hopefully in 5 years. Im tired of living in town.

Not going to do a refi, but Mary and I have talked about getting a new house.:thumbsup:

It's getting down to the point where I may have to start looking into it. Not really worth it in my mind to refinance for a 1/4 or 1/2% but when you start talking a whole point or better it's high time to take some action and take advantage of it :thumbsup:

I was just looking into it an hour ago. I can "streamline" my FHA loan for 1500 closing cost. No others cost and I go from 6.75 to 4.75. Sounds like a no brainer for me, I just got the house 1 1/2 years ago.

I was just looking into it an hour ago. I can "streamline" my FHA loan for 1500 closing cost. No others cost and I go from 6.75 to 4.75. Sounds like a no brainer for me, I just got the house 1 1/2 years ago.

Yes, interest saved.

r8

So can some financial guru enlighten me on just how much rates need to drop to make it worthwhile? I know I could do all the math and research but figure with all the brains this place has to offer, someone would have the info ready to go..

I do have an FHA loan right now and I was thinking about a streamline refi..

As I recall, you need to save 1/2 to 3/4 % for an FHA streamlined refi to be worth the effort and the cost. The costs are rolled into the new loan so nothing has to come out of pocket. It's actually a decent product.

If you have 20% or more equity in your home (don't laugh, some people still do! :D ), look at doing a conventional mortgage. You'll save a bit more. Only downside is that you may have to come up with some cash out of pocket, depending on how it's structured. Still worth it.

Have your lender or loan broker run the numbers for you. That's their job. Some seem reluctant to do so, for some reason or they focus exclusively on just how much $$ you'll save on the monthly payment.

A couple of cautions. If you're already 10 years into your loan, you have 20 years left on it. Whatever you do, don't refi for another 30 year note. Not a good idea. Get a new 20 year note and you may even save another handful of bucks.

Last but not least, watch out for predatory lenders. They are still out there and just because it has FHA stamped across it, doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to be a complete protection for you. READ what you're going to sign. Years ago, we did a refi and I asked the escrow officer to fax me the docs so we could read them all before we drove down the to sign anything. She said, "Oh, don't worry about it. You can read it all when you get here." I said, that would be fine.

We got to her office at about 5:00 that evening and I started reading. I read fairly fast and yet, two hours later, we were still going through the docs, she was getting calls from her kids and husband wondering where she was, she was getting visibly frustrated with me and it was coming out in her tone toward me, etc. etc. About halfway through, I put down the page I was reading and looked her in the eye and reminded her that I had asked for this paperwork ahead of time so we could avoid this problem. Her look could've killed me, I'm sure, but to her credit she did remain civil.

The real point here is that in the process, I discovered they had the interest rate wrong (too high) and they had forgotten to remove the prepayment penalty clauses which were fairly well buried. Lucky for us all, she was able to get the lender on the phone and get the corrected docs for us.

Too windy, I know. It's just after midnight, fer cryin' out load! :D

--Wag--

So can some financial guru enlighten me on just how much rates need to drop to make it worthwhile? I know I could do all the math and research but figure with all the brains this place has to offer, someone would have the info ready to go..

I do have an FHA loan right now and I was thinking about a streamline refi..

Most tell me 1.5% or greater to gain anything. It also depends on monies.

Now, in my case I just want the loan with no extra money. I owe $58,000 so I want to refi only that amount.

Wag has a great post above regarding fine line reading.

r8

Im currently at 6% and bought the house a year ago
my mortgage lady called and said I can get 5.5 on my FHA with no closing costs to pay out
its .5% would that not be worth it?
payment will go down $94 a month

Im currently at 6% and bought the house a year ago
my mortgage lady called and said I can get 5.5 on my FHA with no closing costs to pay out
its .5% would that not be worth it?
payment will go down $94 a month

You answered your own question.

No closing costs and $94.00 a month.

Might want to ask how long the lock would be. I'm thinking it will go lower.

r8

Back