WHO IS RUNNING 200/55zr17 REAR TIRE?

Ked0607

Registered
Looking for Gen 3 photos with this installed. Any downsides? Any TCS issues? Any ABS faults? Local dealer said it shouldn't be done due to ABS and traction control..... Want real world experienced input here.

tire GIF

Tim uses a 50 series on his 3 *

@monkeywhats the longterm review of this size? Also what mods needed to be fmdone for fitment? Did chainguard rub?

Looking for Gen 3 photos with this installed. Any downsides? Any TCS issues? Any ABS faults? Local dealer said it shouldn't be done due to ABS and traction control..... Want real world experienced input here.

I've been running a 200 for the last 20 years on Gen1, Gen2, and now on the Gen3. Also on my Z1000, and TL1000R. Your dealer doesn't know what they're talking about. The bike doesn't know the difference, and zero issues with ABS or TC. That's bunk.
However, the physics isn't wrong, 190 will turn in quicker, fall quicker, etc. Speedo won't be correct with a 200 (I use GPS speedo instead). But honestly, I just don't notice the difference, and all I ride are super-twisty roads.
200s are more expensive if you go through a lot of tires (like me), a bit harder to get on the rim (I change them all myself).

The why: It's very much a looks thing, it won't make you go faster, maybe even slower in the twisties. I've always liked the looks of the 200 going back 20 years to my Gen1.

Nothing rubs on any of the Gens with a 200. Plenty of room in there.

The TL1000R - plenty of room in there, TL uses same rims as the Gen1. Pretty sure it's the same swing arm as Gen1 also.
DSC02009.jpg

Coming home on a 200, on goes another 200 on my TL1000R
tire-change-TL1000R.jpg

200 vs stock 190 on the Gen3
20230310_110910.JPG

Three months later, off comes a 200, and back to a 190
DSC01177.JPG

Years worth of tires for the Gen3. Time for a dump run. I change them as soon as they get close to the 1000 miles or less mark.
Buddy of mine likes to sell these as burnout tires, but that's too much hassle for me.

These are all Avons, but second from top is a Shinko. Blasphemy I know. I thought I would try their sport-touring tire, but I burned if off pretty quick. It lasted 2 months. I only got 3 rides out of it, or about 3000 miles out of a sport-touring tire. Oh well, worth a try, it was cheap. Half the cost of other 200s.
20240428_134945.jpg

The only bike that rubbed the chain was my Z1000. It was millimeters, but I didn't care. And i took off the chain guard to fit it in there. 200 looks awesome on streetfighter style motorcycle & ran them anyway. If you look closely, you can see the chain rubbing the tire. Kawasaki swingarm slightly narrower than Suzuki.
DSC00287.jpg

Btw, don't ever let anybody tell you a Hayabusa can't turn on a 200. That's also bunk.
Yup, that's a 200/50 on my Gen2. :laugh:
GOPR1522.jpg

All that said, I've got a 190 on the Gen3 right now, just what was available at the time, so I do vacillate back and forth. But I've got to order another set every 3-4 months anyway. That Shinko pictured in my stack lasted 60 days. :laugh:

Currently using the Bridgestone T32 sport-touring tire on the Gen3 right now. I used Avons for 20 years, but they went out of business last year. :(
What's on there now: I like these. They work and seem like a good sport-touring tire. And I went back to 190.

DSC03391.jpg

I've also used a 120/60 on the front. 60 series on front. That's blasphemy to a purist.
Wasn't sure if the universe would implode or time would cease to exist.
But honestly I just didn't notice the difference, and swapped back to stock size 120/70 four months later.

Last edited:
I have been running 190/55's for a while, but will be going back to 50's.

Unless you are doing twisties all the time, the 50 will have more rubber in contact with the asphalt when going straight and will give more mileage on the tire.

Got them on. They def feel different turning. It may be because the others had big flat
My power 6's just arrived and yes I stuck with the 200/55. I don't know about it affecting TC or ABS. I always run TC off all the time and plan an ABS delete so neither of those issues are a concern to me.

I'm not sure how much it offsets the speedo because I didn't measure it prior to going with the 200/55 the first time. I did recently check it against my phones GPS and my speedo is about 4mph off. I think 2/3 is fairly typically from the factory so maybe it adds 1/1.5, just a guess. I'll do another GPS check with the new tire. In terms of the Power 5's, which you can still buy online, I got 10k out of that set which is damn good for a sport bike tire if you ask me. They were pretty flat on top and past the point I would normally ride tires, but they got me home from Cali so I'm a fan boy.

20240611_153415.jpg

20240611_154517.jpg

No one has commented on the big two downsides that keep me from putting them on my gen 3: more weight in the last place you need it, unsprung weight, and more lean angle required for the same speed through the curve.

I don't like imagining a 600 passing me on the outside of a carousel turn less leaned over than I am. So I'm going to stick with the 190 over a 200. I'm also heroin addicted to the torque grunt of the Gen 3 coming out of a curve, so I don't want to reduce the contact patch under acceleration. So I'm going to stick with the 50 over the 55. And as the unsprung weight will remain lighter, the flickability and the handling will remain a notch better then having the Butterball on the back. But I did go back and forth for months before I made that decision.

I also agree that the big one looks better...

Back