Who HASN'T Topped Out the Busa

NearDeath

Donating Member
Registered
I was posting on the sh.org site and I have to admit I was surprised by the responses when I had stated that I still haven't topped out my bike and I have had it a year... Sounds like most everyone seems to top their bike out shortly after they get it...

I have had the bike to about 150-160 tops... I have -1 down in the front so I am estimating my top speed...

Anyone else like me out there or should I just top it out and get it over with...

Cloud

I'll confess..I haven't come close to top end. And I doubt I ever will. And I don't feel bad about it either.

I'm with flrider...I've only been up to and just past 100, just so I can say I hit triple digits...beyond that, I have decided I like my right to drive!
tounge.gif

Hubby took my Busa to 150+ just last night though...he'll top it out eventually...I hope I'm not there to watch!
wow.gif

Cloud9 -

First off let me be candid about this. Your worries are exactly what gets people killed.

Do not worry or feel bad or feel under pressure to do anything that does not come natural.

When you start riding your bike in a manner just to "keep up with the Jones's" that is when you are going to get into trouble.

The fastest I have EVER taken my Busa is about 160, and that was a pretty short burst.

I have sustained speeds at around 130 for good stretches.

And I usually am the only person near me when I am doing those speeds.

Most of the people I know in person do not even comprehend traveling at 160 in a car with 4 wheels, much less a motorcycle with only two wheels.

Maybe I am nieve, but I would bet that if everyone on sh.org is “sayingâ€￾ they have topped out their Busa, I would guess half of them were laying down some thick BS.

Who knows, maybe not. But it doesn’t matter. I would not recommend just topping it out to get it over with.

When you are on the right road, and it is the right day and you are in the right frame of mind, it will happen I am sure and it will probably happen without any injuries or tickets or any other mishaps.

But if you go out in search of trying to “top outâ€￾ the Busa, then that will be your focus and you might not trust your instincts and you might end up doing 180+ on the wrong road, at the wrong time and end up with a ticket or worse.

If you do want to top it out, then I would recommend taking it to a track in a controlled environment.

Of course that might have already been assumed, you never stated where you would like to top it out at.

Anyway – you asked for opinions, there’s mine, I hope it was well received.

For me, I am content at what speeds I have gone and do go.. maybe I am just getting old lol

And sorry, I am not trying to sound like I am chastising, just hits close to home, whenever I have had accidents and such, it has usually been because I was more worried about perception and what people thought and less about what I was actually doing.

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083786340 -->

I'm just breakin' mine in, so obviously I haven't yet.....but I did find out you can get it to 105 at 5500rpms.......sneeked it up to 110 at 5600-5700rpms............just passed my 500 mile mark last night..............don't know if I've got the cajones to top her out though!!!!!!
AAAssjani.gif

I've got almost 1400 miles on mine and haven't topped it out. Hit 160 one Sunday afternoon and was pretty comfortable that I didn't need to go any faster. Guess I just can't foresee myself in a situation where I would ever need to go faster than that, but enjoy knowing the fact that I can!

I started out one day to try but saw traffic ahead. I got off the gas and before I knew it I was on the brakes hard and right on top of the traffic. That is when I realized just how fast the world goes by at those speeds. I know how fast my bike should go and thats good enough for me.

Had mine to 160 plenty fast. Besides the chances of trouble are directly proportional to speed. Avoiding a car at 60 M.P.H. is easier than at 160 M.P.H.
wow.gif

I was posting on the sh.org site and I have to admit I was surprised by the responses when I had stated that I still haven't topped out my bike and I have had it a year... Sounds like most everyone seems to top their bike out shortly after they get it...

I have had the bike to about 150-160 tops... I have -1 down in the front so I am estimating my top speed...

Anyone else like me out there or should I just top it out and get it over with...

Cloud
<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>Most poeple who tell you they topped out the bike LIE.  Even more when they tell you that they hit 200 +  mph.  It is just not taht easy.  No reason that you need to do it anyway.  Do it if YOU want, not because others have done it.</span>

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083774572 -->

had mine 2 years and the max i've done is 167 on the gps... I used to think I needed to top it out just "because" ya know.. now I've pretty much decided it's no big deal.. and have no plans of trying to do it....

i did try to plan it a few times only to find out that the straights weren't long, or straight enough... ...

even a slight curve in the road leaves you (me anyway) feeling like going into a severe kiss your ass turn at about triple my comfort level while travelling 160ish

It's hard to even fathom how much ground your going to cover getting up to, and back down from 186...

the reward isn't great enough to justify the possibility of bad things happening.

I love life way too much to go that fast "on my own".  I have a real healthy respect for my new bike & really a healty FEAR of it's top speed capabilities.

But on the other hand, around qualified support personal with proper range conditions I would probably try it in a heartbeat.

race.gif

<!--EDIT|AZTECWARRIOR
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083775194 -->

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, for what it is worth, I have had my Busa for a little over 6 months. And I have roughly 3500 miles on it. and 160 (indicated) is as fast as I have gone.

And like Ninja Eater said, it just isnt that easy. Difficult to find a road with no traffic, no police that you can hit and sustain the top speed of the Busa.

I started out one day to try but saw traffic ahead.  I got off the gas and before I knew it I was on the brakes hard and right on top of the traffic.  That is when I realized just how fast the world goes by at those speeds.  I know how fast my bike should go and thats good enough for me.
That's the problem I see with riding so fast! We're all used to how to handle a car at higher speeds; most of us have been driving on 4 wheels for a while...

I'm finding that I've been "taught" by the Busa just how much braking distance you need when you've been blowing past someone and have to suddenly stop...it can get scary fast!

I'm all for taking it to the track to top it out if you can...I wouldn't mind doing that, but it's the whole "more controlled area" that gives you some peace of mind...don't do it just to prove you can...we all know our bikes will go that fast...

175 once. Never again. Almost flew over the windshield slowing down. Note to self: let off gas slowly.

Paul

Oh, and guys...those that do top out (maybe even often), more power to you...I'm not downing those that have done that or enjoy doing that...

I'm with some of the other guys here...if you want to and are ready, then go for it...but, don't let peer pressure, especially from a message board, push you to do something you might regret...

Next thing they'll come up with is "how many are members of the mile high club?!"
laugh.gif
(don't even start answering that one fellas!)

Had my 03 for 2500 miles now and only seen 165 on the speedo once . I know its off alittle but I dont see the need in going that fast again off the track .

I haven't yet either... I had mine to 170 indicated for a split second about 2 weeks ago and damn thats getting fast...
wow.gif

I've had the speedo to ~140 (130 actual?). I have no intention of going 180+, so I put on the 16T sprocket. So now I'll ONLY be able to do 160.
laugh.gif

You're not alone.

I would have to say that if 90% of the people say they have had the bike topped out then 90% of those people are not telling the truth. I've had mine to 155 (GPS). Here in So. Cal. there are not many areas where I would even want to go that fast. Even when I come home from work at 2300 hrs. (11pm) the traffic is still to heavy to go that kind of speed. For some of you that live where there are long striat and unpatroled road and are able to go that fast more power to you just be safe. I could not even think what would happen if you got caught going that fast.

Back