White House Lane splitting petition nationwide

Never a dull moment out here(not that it really has squat to do with lane splitting,though it could if you were stuck in the back somewhere...and this really isn't even rush hour here in SoCal).:laugh:I couldn't believe how many people(biatches/haters)whined about the huge 5 minutes or so they lost out of their precious lives because of this(big Tank[2011 Busa:thumbsup:]was eventually arrested but never heard the outcome),I was only pissed because I never got word of it going down 'til the next day and wasn't included...bastids.:laugh:Anyway,I thought it was pretty cool and thought I should post(re-post)since this is a traffic related discussion.:laugh:

I thought this was very inconsiderate to other drivers on the road. At the least, the whole affair took a few minutes. I am surprised no one went down with so many bikes. And lucky for the group, cops didn't show up and didn't arrest anyone and didn't issue any tickets.

The proper way of doing it would be to do the same in a more deserted place, and not in the middle of a highway... but then it would lose the coolness factor, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked the number of signatures, and it went up by about 2000 after a couple of days. Pathetic. That's not going to go anywhere. What's missing here? The marketing effort.

So, here is what I am proposing if the rest of the folks are serious about it, and not only on this forum, but on other forums (if you are a member) as well.

1. A Facebook page needs to be created. I could take care of that. I did find a few pages advocating lane sharing in a certain state, or in general, however they suffer the same marketing deficiency - the number of likes is laughably small. Feel free to suggest a title for such new Facebook page, and one it's up feel free to suggest edits/content.

2. Such Facebook page has to be promoted, and there is no better and more cost effective way of doing it than on Facebook.

3. Put your money where your mouth is. For the total of $10-$15 a day, I can almost guarantee that most US motorcyclists who are on Facebook will know about it over the course of the rest of the month. If enough people are willing to donate a few dollars each to the cause, I will gladly setup a Facebook advertising campaign targeting all motorcyclists in the US, and will be periodically reporting all metrics/expenses right here on the forum to provide transparency of the process. Then, you will see the count of signatures fly.

The objective of such advertising campaign is pretty straightforward, and those who learn about it are able to react quickly, and sign the petition. That's why I believe there is still enough time to get 100,000 signatures by the end of the month.

If there is enough interest, I could provide my PayPal account for others to donate. The only caveat I see is that a donor has to indicate that this is to friends/family and use their existing non-zero PayPal balance or bank account. Otherwise, I will be charged a fee of $0.30 + 2.5% of the amount. This is not a big deal for $12 or above, however if someone wants to contribute let's say $0.50 and does not meet the conditions above, PayPal would charge fee of $0.32, so the actual deposit will end up being $0.18.

I am a man of action. So, how about it?

Edit: I just checked with Facebook Ad Manager, and the potential audience for people who are related to motorcycles and scooters in the US is around 18 million people. So, getting around 100,000 signatures should not be a problem. It's a good cause, and it would be reasonable to assume that most people who see a related ad are likely to click on it, and sign the petition. I will also ask to donate a $1 or $2 to support the cause, so the process may become self sustaining.

I thought this was very inconsiderate to other drivers on the road. At the least, the whole affair took a few minutes. I am surprised no one went down with so many bikes. And lucky for the group, cops didn't show up and didn't arrest anyone and didn't issue any tickets.

The proper way of doing it would be to do the same in a more deserted place, and not in the middle of a highway... but then it would lose the coolness factor, right?

Yep,would've lost the cool factor.:laugh:

Lane splitting has been shown to be safer for motorcyclists.

Even the AMA supports it:

Lane Splitting

The American Motorcyclist Association places significant emphasis on motorcyclei operator and passenger safety. On every type of public roadway, motorcyclists encounter challenges from other roadway users and are constantly vigilant to unsafe conditions around them.

One of the recommendations in the National Agenda for Motorcycle Safety (NAMS)2 is: “Study the safety implications of lane splitting.” In support of this recommendation, the report states:

“A motorcycle’s narrow width can allow it to pass between lanes of stopped or slow-moving cars on roadways where the lanes are wide enough to offer an adequate gap. This option can provide an escape route for motorcyclists who would otherwise be trapped or struck from behind. There is evidence (Hurt, 1981) that traveling between lanes of stopped or slow-moving cars (i.e., lane splitting) on multiple-lane roads (such as interstate highways) slightly reduces crash frequency compared with staying within the lane and moving with other traffic.

“Although lane splitting is allowed in just a few areas of the United States, notably California, it appears to be worthy of further study because it offers a means of reducing congestion in addition to possible safety benefits. It is widely used in many other countries.”

In a statement issued by the Motorcycle Industry Council in 2011, the trade group states: “In full consideration of the risks and benefits of lane splitting, the Motorcycle Industry Council supports state laws that allow lane splitting under reasonable restrictions.”

I think "Even the AMA supports it" is a bit overstated. Looks to me like they support further study based on the above. Even so, the proposed concept of lane splitting and how most riders would practice lane splitting are likely quite different. Even today, riders with the legal privilege are rarely seen practicing according to the unofficial "official" guidelines here in California (under 30 mph traffic speed, bike splits at marginally higher than traffic speed - no more than 10 mph differential, don't split in the dark/low visibility, splitting left lanes is safer, don't split near on/off ramps, don't split both sides of a lane with multiple bikes, etc.). Generally, I see lane splitters running 15-20 mph over traffic and at speeds WAAAAYYYY over 30 mph. Even as a rider, I've been surprised countless times by a lane splitter blowing my doors off under the pretense of lane splitting. Even had a co-worker lane split me on a group ride - on the right between me and parked cars, no traffic issues whatsoever.

Bottom line, this is a can o' worms best left unopened.

IMHO :beerchug:

Oh, as for lane splitting being allowed in Europe, I recall being ASTOUNDED on a trip to Rome a few years ago that I didn't see a two wheeled rider die right in front of me at least once a day. It's little more than a chaotic ballet over there. Admittedly, it's not apples to apples as they have WAY more two wheelers on the road, but I still couldn't shake the feeling that they were a bit out of control (filtering at every light, jack rabbit starts at every green light, carrying EVERYTHING on two-wheelers (dogs on scooter platforms, shopping bags on arms (even saw one guy with two full size motorcycle tires on his arm!). When we got home, I looked it up. And guess what?

Rome is the most dangerous city in Europe for traffic accidents

The main reason? Loads of congestion and lack of driver attention. Hmmm...sounds like EXACTLY the sort of place where lane splitting would be a desired feature. Well, it is. And it doesn't go well. Why? B/c folks can't keep their focus and don't hold themselves to the letter of the law.

Please raise your hand if you think that us 'Mericans would somehow do any better collectively. Before you answer, put down your phone!

Jus' sayin'.

Ride, but ride safe!

:beerchug:

Back