White House Lane splitting petition nationwide

While always an optimist, it doesn't look too hopeful to get the needed 100,000 sigs by Jan 1st 2015.
Sig #1 was Dec 2nd 2014 with another 96,100+ to go in 3 weeks to reach the goal.

Guess most people haven't heard about it, I sure haven't until now.

Lots of traffic jams around here with 6-7 mile back ups. I'd sure use the opportunity instead of sitting still on a 92 degree day in full leathers while the cager next to me is grilling out of his trunk.

Signed

I didn't say it would happen, just postulated one possible benefit of such a law.

Having spent some time driving in Italy, the fact that two wheeled vehicles essentially have free reign definitely raises your awareness of them. I recently visited California and observed many motorcyclists safely splitting lanes while I was stuck in traffic trying to get to the airport. Yes there will be accidents but as others have stated, that's a chance we all take just driving down the road. It's possible providing more avenues for travel and escape could offset other accidents. I would certainly support such a law at the state or federal level. I do agree with you that a federal law would be highly unlikely

not gonna happen. if the Federal government was going to step in and over ride the states individual right to mandate a motorcycle law it would be a HELMET law or a SEAT BELT law for cars. neither exist. its NOT gonna be lane splitting that I can assure of.

the helmet law wud have a much greater chance due to the fact that many states have that law but when only (1) state has that law and the other 49 do not ur dreaming if u think the fed gov is gonna step in and mandate that all states adhere to splitting lanes.

the federal government does not get involved in states individual rights to enact whatever laws they feel appropriate for each state. that is why we have separation of federal and state laws.

try to stay in the lane were referring to. were referring to MOTOR VEHICLE laws..... NOT immigration laws. apples to oranges. wow!

Its called the United States of America. It is not called the United States of the Federal Government. The feds have agencies that corrupt states rights and are being sued for violations having to do with federal government overreach. Two agencies stand out... The Dept of Education and the EPA.

When you say...

the federal government does not get involved in states individual rights to enact whatever laws they feel appropriate for each state. that is why we have separation of federal and state laws.

I was simply pointing out where my opinion differs from yours.

Lane splitting... its a state issue, not a federal issue. However, I support it however it shows up.

Not being allowed to split lanes when traffic is stopped is ridiculous. Your opinion might be different and I am ok with that.

EXACTLY! its NOT the united states of the federal government which is why states have the right to exercise which state statutes they chose to endorse. thanx for making my point. your immigration example had absolutely nothing to do with what we were discussing so stop back peddling now trying to save face.... smh

so shud motorcycles be able to travel down the break down lane? why not? there is no traffic in the break down lane and ull get where u need to go faster and there is certainly more room for it.

traveling down the breakdown lane would actually be safer then traveling in-between cars cause in the break down lane cars are not changing lanes. so should each state make that legal to?

see how ridiculous that starts to sound when someone tries to justify riding ur MC in-between cars as actually being safe.... the breakdown lane is FAR safer yet will never be legal for motorcycles to travel in.

what do u think the chances are greater of happening? a car changing lanes and clipping you and causing ur death or serious bodily injury or a car actually pulling over into the break down lane cause they have a flat tire?

Its called the United States of America. It is not called the United States of the Federal Government. The feds have agencies that corrupt states rights and are being sued for violations having to do with federal government overreach. Two agencies stand out... The Dept of Education and the EPA.

When you say...

I was simply pointing out where my opinion differs from yours.

Lane splitting... its a state issue, not a federal issue. However, I support it however it shows up.

Not being allowed to split lanes when traffic is stopped is ridiculous. Your opinion might be different and I am ok with that.

I guess what I don't understand is why this only has one month to get all the votes needed?
Is that all that is allowed? Can rallys to collect votes be started by anyone? Do you need permits and lots of paperwork (redtape) to get one started?

Is there a process to start these on a State level?

Seems to me that if I was going to start something like this I would join every motorcycle forum I could and announce on a certain date
we needed everyone to vote. Heck a radio ad might be worth it if you could get a few people to donate.

OK next question is, IF the # was reached - then what? Does that mean it would go to Congress for a debate and then a vote?

Lane splitting is optional. Let those that use lane splitting to get where they are going that option. If you prefer not to split lanes then don't. Its called freedom of choice.

Like I said previously... I don't paticularlly enjoy lane splitting... I only do it when the conditions are right... especially when the CHP motor officer has the lead position! :laugh:

Thats what i was saying

OK next question is, IF the # was reached - then what? Does that mean it would go to Congress for a debate and then a vote?
it means absolutely nothing! laws are not passed by ppl voting on the internet on whether or not a particular law shud be passed or not. if that was the case Marijuana would be legal everywhere from vending machines. all it wud mean is someone saying "see, look at all the ppl that agree with me". thats about it!

it means absolutely nothing! laws are not passed by ppl voting on the internet on whether or not a particular law shud be passed or not. if that was the case Marijuana would be legal everywhere from vending machines. all it wud mean is someone saying "see, look at all the ppl that agree with me". thats about it!

So then what's the point in voting? ???

For me it's a matter of personal choice as is the helmet law. You want to go ahead. If it were to pass which it will not, it's as foolish as riding w/out a helmet in my opinion and I would never do it.
Too many idiots on the road already, change the law and all hell breaks even looser....:2cents:

This is my commute every day. Gridlock, every day, both ways.

This is the way to lane share.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I would do different is allow more room when passing cars on the right side only when traffic space allows. I wouldn't stay in the right wheel track when cars are on my right side only. Its not perfect either because your closer to their blind spot at times when you are in the left side wheel track, however, the more room to keep extra space the merrier.

EXACTLY! its NOT the united states of the federal government which is why states have the right to exercise which state statutes they chose to endorse. thanx for making my point. your immigration example had absolutely nothing to do with what we were discussing so stop back peddling now trying to save face.... smh

so shud motorcycles be able to travel down the break down lane? why not? there is no traffic in the break down lane and ull get where u need to go faster and there is certainly more room for it.

traveling down the breakdown lane would actually be safer then traveling in-between cars cause in the break down lane cars are not changing lanes. so should each state make that legal to?

see how ridiculous that starts to sound when someone tries to justify riding ur MC in-between cars as actually being safe.... the breakdown lane is FAR safer yet will never be legal for motorcycles to travel in.

what do u think the chances are greater of happening? a car changing lanes and clipping you and causing ur death or serious bodily injury or a car actually pulling over into the break down lane cause they have a flat tire?

The breakdown lane being used for motorcycle access has a number of issues.

!. Broken down cars blocking the lane.
2. Car occupants in breakdown lane outside their car and obstructing the lane.
3. Debris hazards are plentiful here in cali as many people are unqualified in the proper use of tie down equipment.
Watch around the end of the month for mattresses! :laugh:
4. We have idiot drivers that get pulled over by LEOs and use the breakdown lane (the farthest left lane ) as a place to stop. :banghead:

If you to overcome those hazards, then, you now have to explain to cage drivers why they can't use the lane if the motorcyclist are allowed to do it.

It looks like many of the drivers where moved left and even over the yellow line which is the edge of the lane.
I assume that is because they are CA natives and know that motorcycles can and do lane split so they are prepared.

For a state to all of a sudden make it legal to lane split it would take a long time for them to drive like that giving motorcyclists room to pass.

I am super envious. My commute is something similar, just change the traffic to 15 mph and me sitting behind a car the entire ride.

Never a dull moment out here(not that it really has squat to do with lane splitting,though it could if you were stuck in the back somewhere...and this really isn't even rush hour here in SoCal).:laugh:I couldn't believe how many people(biatches/haters)whined about the huge 5 minutes or so they lost out of their precious lives because of this(big Tank[2011 Busa:thumbsup:]was eventually arrested but never heard the outcome),I was only pissed because I never got word of it going down 'til the next day and wasn't included...bastids.:laugh:Anyway,I thought it was pretty cool and thought I should post(re-post)since this is a traffic related discussion.:laugh:

Lane splitting is optional. Let those that use lane splitting to get where they are going that option. If you prefer not to split lanes then don't. Its called freedom of choice.

Like I said previously... I don't paticularlly enjoy lane splitting... I only do it when the conditions are right... especially when the CHP motor officer has the lead position! :laugh:

Thats what i was saying

Back