White "cream" under fill cap?

@ all

white cream in oil / letting run the engine in idle

guys?

if the white cream continues to appear even after a longer period of normal engine operation, there is an entry of water into the engine oil
what then imperatively must be stopped.
a defective head gasket is then usually responsible for this water entry issue.

and
a short start and stop after some only 2-5 minutes is in deed at the end deathyfying for the engine.

theme :
running the engine every 4-6 weeks

guys?

if the engine runs at idle for around 30 minutes the oil temp should have reached the 95-100 °C border from which the water (and the fuel) evaporates and is fed back to the combustion via the gearbox ventilation and is conveyed outside via the exhaust.

the temp. of the oil should be measured by a laser based measrurement at the outside of the gear box housing.

this kind of idling is definitely not dangerous and causes no demages in the engine at all.

the white exhaust gas comes from starting the engine in a cooler environment and is nothing other than water vapor that always / basically arises during combustion of fuel .
easy to recognize in a cool environment by the white exhaust gas.
and the warmer it is outside, the less you see this white "steam".
this should end when the engine has reached approx. 90 ° C in the oil, unless it is really very cold outside.
then it can stay white steaming - a bit - watch your cars in wintertimes for that.

the running of the engine at idle for the 30 minutes, i mentioned above, (or longer) is not nice to the environment, but it doesn´t kill the engine.

theme :
running the engine every 4-6 weeks

guys?

if the engine runs at idle for around 30 minutes the oil temp should have reached the 95-100 °C border from which the water (and the fuel) evaporates and is fed back to the combustion via the gearbox ventilation and is conveyed outside via the exhaust.

the temp. of the oil should be measured by a laser based measrurement at the outside of the gear box housing.

this kind of idling is definitely not dangerous and causes no demages in the engine at all.

the white exhaust gas comes from starting the engine in a cooler environment and is nothing other than water vapor that always / basically arises during combustion of fuel .
easy to recognize in a cool environment by the white exhaust gas.
and the warmer it is outside, the less you see this white "steam".
this should end when the engine has reached approx. 90 ° C in the oil, unless it is really very cold outside.
then it can stay white steaming - a bit - watch your cars in wintertimes for that.

the running of the engine at idle for the 30 minutes, i mentioned above, (or longer) is not nice to the environment, but it doesn´t kill the engine.
......in cooler environments when the engine gets warm, and not up to proper operating temperature then shut down, water vapor in the engine condenses causing this white foam...when then engine is run long enough with this white foam present, it breaks down the viscosity of the oil which leads to oiling issues.

I've seen this in a myriad of engines from small engines to big diesel ones.

Idling for long periods fouls plugs and builds carbon in the combustion chamber and valves.

I go back to my practice of not idling any engine I own for any period of time-better to err on the side of caution in my opinion.

Weird...I could understand the vibration and fouling for sure, but mine will overheat if let it idle over 15 mins :(
No clue why...less than 2yr old radiator, high pressure cap, thermostat, engine ice, and muzzy fan. Doesn't matter if its 20F or 105F.
I had the exact same issue when I got my bike I thought the headgasket was cooked. I ran coolant system cleaner can't remember which one (safe for aluminum) changed rad cap thermostat with oem, flushed super good 3 times than ran engine ice I can sit in +35 c weather in traffic and it has never gone more than a bit over half. No extra fan, no temp sensor change or relocation, maybe your engine is just running hotter? Needs a tune up? What oil are you using? I didn't fill my rad right full ran it with the cap off squeezed the coolant lines then turn off filled the rad and resvoir, tilted the bike back and forth squeezed hoses opened rad cap, started engine let it get to temp, let it cool down did the same thing 3 times, an easier way would be pull your right fairing and nose and vacuum fill the system then you know 100% it's not air.

It's from condensation in your engine, starting the bike and letting it idle for that long is worse than not starting it at all.

If the bike is stored in an unheated area, the engine is getting hot but not hot enough to burn off all the condensation and it gathers on your rad cap which is vented when the engine cools...

Make sure you change the oil as the viscosity has been compromised.
+1

Some of the older automotive books explicitly warn the dangers of allowing a motor to idle and shut down repeatedly.

Back