Which is the best performing filter?

DE44Magna

Registered
Well I havn't been on the board for some time, I was on my way to work on 8/11/07 and a guy in a pickup truck made a left turn on the freeway, introducing me and my 2001 Blk/Slvr into the center devider, intamately I might add. I came out mostly ok with a broken left wrist and a contuded (sp?) right knee, but my poor, poor mistress (my wife must never know) was in 3 pieces on the fwy
heart_broke.gif
But on a lighter note, a highway patrol oficer was following me (hopping for a fat ticket no doubt) and so I had an expert witness to back me up...I should be able to afford a 08 as soon as my lawyer settles...

I saw that there are some varied opinions, when I order my bike I want the ti force 4-2-1-2 exhaust and an aftermarket filter....but which one? Any one try dyno'ing their bikes with the different filters to see which one makes the biggest difference? I know people have different ideas about using a P/C as well, any ideas?

I like the 4-2-1 full system for exhaust duties. You will save weight pick up a few HP and it looks better. On a mildly tuned engine the stock filter will be more than adequate. That's my take anyway.

I'm going with the Yosh R-77 CF 4-2-1, and Piper Cross Race. No PC, we'll see how she does. Debating on whether or not to block off pair sys.

yosh is a distributor for BMC.. spoke with them at INDY dealer show and they said mid march... in yosh's 2008 book of speed they have a part number for street and for race..just not out yet...
beerchug.gif

run the stock one for street use,i bought a used 03 bus with a damn k&n af and replaced it with the stock filter for piece of mind and i couldnt tell a difference going back to the stock filter. i read a great article a year or so ago that compared a stock motorcycle air filter against a k&n motorcycle air filter and what they found was very suprising. the k&n did flow more air right at 1st but it also flowed more dirt,and the method of "oiling" the filter allowed it to plug faster thus flowing less air overtime than the stock filter tested. in the end they concluded that if your running a radical engine that doesnt see much street use or your running on a race track you would be fine with an aftermarket filter but if you use your beloved machine on the street you will not beat a stock paper filter for keeping dirt out of your engine. one more thing they said is that in some cases you could lose h.p with an aftermarket filter if your machine is not "properly" tuned for it.

I have a full Yosh R-77 and use a Piper Cross Race airfilter. The bike was Dynoed before and after there was a 3 HP increase with the Piper Cross. Only thing with the race filter it needs to be cleaned about every 1500 miles. I would like to see the dyno results for the DNA I've been thinking about getting one.

I have a full Yosh R-77 and use a Piper Cross Race airfilter. The bike was Dynoed before and after there was a 3 HP increase with the Piper Cross. Only thing with the race filter it needs to be cleaned about every 1500 miles. I would like to see the dyno results for the DNA I've been thinking about getting one.
That's the set up I've got.
thumb_up.gif
Did you block off your pair system?

I have the Pipercross one too.

The copy reads like this:

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Almost like those "Dyson" vacuum commercials, a big benefit of the Pipercross technology is that their filters limit the amount of airbox pressure drop while dirty. In dust-flow testing at 150CFM, the Pipercross filter went nearly 4 times longer than cotton gauze media (used by the "other" performance filter makers) at the same dust flow rate before suffering major pressure drop. And at the point where cotton gauze failed to sustain minimum acceptable airflow, Pipercross in fact only suffered 11% flow reduction.

Compared to the cotton gauze filters, Pipercross foam is able to retain more fine particles; over 4% more fine particle filtration at 98.68% versus 94.60% for cotton gauze. Sacrificing particle filtration for more airflow has always been a challenge for the brands that use cotton gauze media.

In terms of total "net" dust particle retained, Pipercross had nearly triple the total dust retention during the course of the test, so not only did it flow as well as other "top brand" race filters when clean, but when they became clogged, it kept flowing air while letting less dust through to harm the engine internals.[/quote]

That's no brochure, it's actually a cut and paste from an email when I inquired about why the Pipercross is supposed to be so good. Pipercross is English product and what K/N is here in US as a household name is the what Pipercross is to the UK folks.

Nice post hehe

Most people would take your "incident" as a warning... you ... you want a new bike and to make it go faster...
bowdown.gif

Bikes ROCK
biggrin.gif

Jza

Do a search and enjoy the read GPW has done some testing. In general the stocker is the way to go, the piper breaths better but there's questions about what it let's into the engine.
beerchug.gif

Do a search and enjoy the read GPW has done some testing. In general the stocker is the way to go, the piper breaths better but there's questions about what it let's into the engine.
beerchug.gif
Besides the bike stock brings air in better than it lets it out. So before you get carried away on filters you might want to change the exhaust.

my observation between K&N and BMC they are the same weave and filters, I am no scientist, however i have done testing and examined both STREET filters and I could swear they are made the same, same everthing, color weave filter, pattern etc.....

Nice post hehe

Most people would take your "incident" as a warning... you ... you want a new bike and to make it go faster...  
bowdown.gif

Bikes ROCK
biggrin.gif

Jza
Yep I want a new Busa, yes I want it to go faster, and yes my wife approves (only because she knows I would drive her insane if I was not allowed to ride, I am already at that point now and it has only been 6 months
laugh.gif
)...........And would you belive this is number 2 on the major crash list already, the first one I was rear ended by a CHP officer while both of us where on our way to work, he totaled my 1994 Honda Magna and gave me 2 broken ribs with lots of road rash. 3 months later I bought my Busa and never looked back at cruisers again
cool.gif

PS. Any time you get hit by a police officer it is our fault even if he failed to knowtice traffic is stopped.....
deadhorse.gif

run the stock one for street use,i bought a used 03 bus with a damn k&n af and replaced it with the stock filter for piece of mind and i couldnt tell a difference going back to the stock filter. i read a great article a year or so ago that compared a stock motorcycle air filter against a k&n motorcycle air filter and what they found was very suprising. the k&n did flow more air right at 1st but it also flowed more dirt,and the method of "oiling" the filter allowed it to plug faster thus flowing less air overtime than the stock filter tested. in the end they concluded that if your running a radical engine that doesnt see much street use or your running on a race track you would be fine with an aftermarket filter but if you use your beloved machine on the street you will not beat a stock paper filter for keeping dirt out of your engine. one more thing they said is that in some cases you could lose h.p with an aftermarket filter if your machine is not "properly" tuned for it.
Absolutely right
thumb_up.gif

Back