WHICH FILTER? (BMCrace/BMCstreet/k&N)???

lensflare

Registered
Hi fellows,

i have started a VERY light mod to my busa....

1) Factory Pro Superflare Velocity Stacks
2) Factory Pro Ignition Advancer
3) Iridium Spark Plugs.

i decided to install these parts because my girlfriend has bopught me the superflare velocity stacks as a present for my birthday   so i have bought also the ignition advancer and, being the time to change the spark plugs, i have bought the iridium ones too
biggrin.gif

now, the whole matter has to be completed with an air filter, dont you think so?
biggrin.gif

which one do you think is better?

i would prefere not to remap my BUSA at a dyno....

but, i'm sure that in the future the next money i will spent are for a Power commander

so, which one?

BMC street filter
BMC Race filter
K&N

rock.gif
???

thank you in advice for your replies

LensZ

biggrin.gif

Personally,  I would save my money until I had the spare change to buy exhaust, PC and intake all at the same time.  Adding "High Performance" air filters on a stock bike isn't going to make a seat of the pants difference.  To acheive the largest gains, everything has to flow smoothly and evenly from the time the air enters your intake until the time it exits your tail pipe.  I.E., modding your intake without modding your exhaust or visa versa is going to create unbalance.  In addition, your A/F mixture and ignition has to be tuned to your intake and exhaust.  

Just my .02, maybe some of the others can clarify or offer dissenting opinions...
beerchug.gif

The BMC Race will allow more dirt to be ingested .

Stick with regular BMC or KN or stock airfilter .

Adding timing to an already lean engine is not a good thing . Minimum try to find a dealer with a Yosh tuning box . Costs like 30USD over in the states to get the numbers added .

Is your exhaust stock ?

Yeah, you don't want to add air flow AND advance the timing on a stock bike without adjusting A/F ratio. Run too lean and you could start burning stuff up.

GOOD boys,

that's just what i was scared for...

so, if i DO NOT installa a powercommander and remap the whole thing, i should use a BMC street.... right?

when i will buy a YOSHI pipe and a PC, the right choice is the BMC race one....

i want to specify that i do not expect or want to obtain any kind of power increasing by installing the Superflares and the iridium + BMC street.... the aim is only to use them 'cfause they are a gift fdrom my little Monica
biggrin.gif

Lens

(jjmetheny @ Feb. 19 2007,19:02)
(BlueBusa04 @ Feb. 19 2007,12:45) Engines make the most power when they're right on the verge of being lean.
Really
rock.gif

lurk.gif
My bad...I meant to edit that out.  
all_coholic.gif

I was regurgitating something I had just read and then I realized it didn't make sense.

(lensflare @ Feb. 20 2007,17:49) so, if i DO NOT installa a powercommander and remap the whole thing, i should use a BMC street.... right?

when i will buy a YOSHI pipe and a PC, the right choice is the BMC race one....
For long term street use you want to avoid the BMC Race filter altogether...no matter what your modifications unless you drive it 1/4 mile at a time .

Put it this way . You could use a BMC street filter for a 3k mile oil interval then drain it then use the Race BMC for same 3k miles then drain the oil and catch a sample of each  .

Using  oil analysis I could tell you which air filter was used .

Ok Mountainmotor.... i have understood....

so, since i would be happy to enjoy my BUSA for a VERY long time, WHICH one of these elements you feel to suggest me NOT to install?

1) BMC STREET FILTER
2) FACTORYPRO VELOCITYSTACKS
3) FACTORYPRO IGNITION ADVANCER

personally, i don't think that the velocity stacks should interfere with engine
life, but please tell me something about the couple BMC street/Ignition Advancer please
biggrin.gif

one solution could be installing only the velocity stacks and the BMC street filter?

thank you in advance
biggrin.gif

LensZ

biggrin.gif

The velocity stacks will affect the incoming air supply in different rpm ranges. Shorter stacks will increse air flow (and HP) in the higher rpm range and will cause it to run leaner at higher rpms. If you combine that with an ignition advancer on an otherwise stock engine, you may cause problems over the long term.

Anytime you make changes to air in / air out, you should consider having it mapped for air fuel ratio to optimize the results. I am not sure HOW significant the changes will be to the final air fuel ratio, but there will be some changes and you should remap accordingly.

Changing to a BMC street filter alone will not make any significant changes that would require a remap... but when factoring in the ignition advancer and velocity stacks you should consider having the air/fuel at least checked by someone on a dyno.

Everything I've read, including here; stay with the stock filter. I've seen dyno information in threads that show the K&N reduced torque without adding HP. I don't think it's worth the money or effort.

Also I totally agree with getting the intake and exhaust, with a tune. No doubt about it. Even with that I think you'll be surprised at how little performance you gained when it's all said and done.

With that said; your girl bought you something nice and it's your bike. Have fun.
super.gif

Yes Dadofthree, that's the fact...

nowadays i have not much needings to engine mods, - perhaps the mods i want most is on the suspension and brakes
biggrin.gif
- but, now i have those Superflares velocity to put in, (never say to a woman that his shopping was wrong
biggrin.gif
) and the only thing i want to do is NOT to create troubles on my sweet BUSA, thus thinking to have the best from what i have...

1) the spark plugs had to be replaced, so i have bought them however.
2) the ignition advancer, now i know it was a wrong thing to buy it, but now i will wait to have a complete Yoshi exhaust and a PC to be able to remap before installing it.
3) the filter..... this i the only thing i am not alredy sure on the way to go.....

can i really have problems putting only the superflares and a BMC street filter on my COMPLETELYSTOCK busa?
rock.gif

since i have opened this thread i have learned 2 important things:

1) race filters allows too many dirt to be swallowed by engine to assure long life in strreet use
2) if you touch either airflow and ignition timing you have to dyno the whole matter to avoid troubles
biggrin.gif

and, for those lessons, i REALLY thank you guys, because here in italy there is not a large family like this on which suggestions to count on
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I would say DONT put any of the airfilters.... Stay with the Stock airfilter.
When you get a full exhaust, THEN get an aftermarket airfilter (when you can get the bike tuned with the exhaust and the airfilter on her)

By the way... I used to have a K&N on my busa... didn't notice any performance change... didnt loose anytihng, didnt gain anything. But it sounds cool saying, "Oh yeah, it's got an after market XXX filter for "racing" "
smile.gif

(BlueBusa04 @ Feb. 20 2007,15:48)
(BlueBusa04 @ Feb. 19 2007,12:45) Engines make the most power when they're right on the verge of being lean.
Really
rock.gif

lurk.gif
all_coholic.gif

I was regurgitating something I had just read and then I realized it didn't make sense.
"LEAN IS MEAN" I believe is the saying. Most drag racers will tell you it's true.
race.gif

(lensflare @ Feb. 19 2007,08:19) Hi fellows,

i have started a VERY light mod to my busa....

1) Factory Pro Superflare Velocity Stacks
2) Factory Pro Ignition Advancer
3) Iridium Spark Plugs.

i decided to install these parts because my girlfriend has bopught me the superflare velocity stacks as a present for my birthday   so i have bought also the ignition advancer and, being the time to change the spark plugs, i have bought the iridium ones too
biggrin.gif

now, the whole matter has to be completed with an air filter, dont you think so?
biggrin.gif

which one do you think is better?

i would prefere not to remap my BUSA at a dyno....

but, i'm sure that in the future the next money i will spent are for a Power commander

so, which one?

BMC street filter
BMC Race filter
K&N

rock.gif
???

thank you in advice for your replies

LensZ
I would recommend that you save your money on the Factory Pro Velocity stacks.  I tried using the Factory Pro Stacks and I found more horsepower using 4 short OEM stacks coupled with; air box mod, BMC Race, Tsukigi full system and PCIII USB.  Attached is the Dyno results show the performance with a map for the Factory Pro's vs. unmapped OEM short stacks using 91 octane premium fuel:

GSX1300RDyno.png

This chart is the mapped OEM short stacks vs. mapped Factory Pro's using 87 octane regular:

FinalDynoResultsGSX1300R.jpg

My recommendation for air filters alone, BMC Race.

biggrin.gif

(speed750 @ Feb. 23 2007,19:25)
(BlueBusa04 @ Feb. 20 2007,15:48)
Really
rock.gif

lurk.gif
all_coholic.gif

"LEAN IS MEAN" I believe is the saying. Most drag racers will tell you it's true.
race.gif
That's where I picked it up, I was reading about how guys jetted their quads for drag racing and they had stated that they were making the biggest numbers on the dyno on the verge of being lean.

I meant to edit it out because I couldn't explain the science behind it.
crazy.gif

I installed a BMC race air filter in January 2007 to complement the Brock street megaphone, PAIR removal kit, PCIII and airbox mod I installed in 2005. The torque and acceleration have noticeably improved.

I'm not concerned about less filtration because 1) my 'busa has over 25,000 miles on it and I'll be replacing it within the next 18 months, and 2) I live near Pittsburgh PA where a) there is NO dust because it rains ALL the time and b) there is no industrial pollution because all the manufacturing left the area.

Back