where to find my key code

smokingness69

Registered
i bought my bike used and it only came with one key and the person didnt have the key code to the bike....i went to my local dealer and gave them my vin number, they called the dealership the bike was purchased at and they still couldnt find the key code....does anyone know where i can get the key code to my bike??? i figured it would be pretty easy, just give them your vin and let them look it up...but it doesnt seem to be so easy.

You may want to think about getting it re-keyed for security reasons. There's an extra key out there somewhere that fits YOUR bike, and they have the tab that came out of the original keys.

It's probably expensive, but so is losing your bike.

Unless you have the tab that comes on the spare key then you might be in trouble.

I would look in your manuals and hope the previous owner wrote the number down inside one of the books.

Suzuki should be able to get it for you but it will take some leg work with your Vin #, etc.

Josh
cool.gif

Yeah When I bought my Busa the Dealer made a real BIG point of telling me to NOT loose that little plastic tag that came with the keys. He said if I loose it the bike would have to be re-keyed, not cheap.

The point about there being an extra key out there has some validity but at the same time that is true about any used bike, who knows how many copies the previous owner made of his keys.

I'm with Blu88 here, make a couple of copies of the key you do have before it goes missing and stash the copies somewhere safe.

When I bought my Busa, the dealer hammered home how important it was for me not to lose that key code...they wrote it down on my "motorcycle papers" folder, as well as on my manual. They also said that there is no other way to find out that key code (not even with the VIN) if you lose it...

Sounds like the guy you bought it from wasn't told the same?
sad.gif

Make some copies quick...and check your paperwork for something just scratched on it (mine is a letter followed by 3 numbers)...dealer might have written it down for the previous owner, and he doesn't even realize it...good luck...

I went to Toyota to get an extra key for my car, and they wanted $10 to make a key with the code, but only $5 to make it the standard way which takes longer to make.
wow.gif

I locked the keys inside a Ford Ranger I used to own. Went to the dealer, got the code number from a card I carry in my wallet, and the dealer made a key using a fancy pair of pliers that had wheels you turned to your code number. Took 30 seconds.

Back