Wheels (polished lips)

Gregbusa

Registered
Hello to my Busa family, I just bought a 05 busa (Black/Silver). I must say that i'm glad to be in the Busa family. I am Looking do do some nice mods (Chroming). I would like to get the wheels chromed. However for the time being I would like to polish the lips of the wheels(Get rid of the black color). How can this be done? Also if anyone knows of any good deals on Chroming in Central Fl let me know. Once again i'm glad to be apart of the Busa family.

Welcome aboard man. Im all stock so I cant help you with the wheels.

As in for polishing the lips. Tape off the area where you do not want the paint removed. Purchase over cleaner and apply to the area where you want the the paint removed. Let me soak. The paint should easily rub off. From there you can decide if you want to polish the lip or just leave the lip the lip the way it is.

Or you can always go the save route and purchase Valiums limited edition wheels and sell off your stock wheels.

welcome aboard
smile.gif

Howzit Greg, and welcome.  I couldnt find my old pics of wheel poshing so I high jacked this photo. I didnt know about oven cleaner ...
rock.gif
 I have done 3 sets of wheels so far and the only thing I know of that removes the finish is "aircraft finish remover" they have it at walmart either in the paint section or the auto section. The stuff is nasty so dont get any on you, and you must use chemical gloves. Try the oven cleaner first ( less toxic ) Tape off the lip real good it will tend to lift with the paint remover. The aluminum wheels tend to scratch easy so dont use tools like a putty knife ... a plastic pot scrubber I stole from the kitchen helped get it off. The centers of the wheels are cast and it's allmost impossible to polish that. I did my old front wheel and sanded that bi-otch for a week!
When your all done with the paint removal some metal polish like mothers or something works great. Now if you really want those babies to shine and your feeling ambisous ... sand the cleaned areas with 400 grit sand paper then 600, 800, 1000 ...  finish with polish ... and they will shine like chrome!

Lets see some pics of how it turns out ?

Here's a link to another thread :

<!--EDIT|Kento-Moto
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140183799 -->

DSCF0338.jpg

Yep, I know old thread but I'm going tackle it this weekend. Not going to do the whole lip, only the outside edge. Been wanting to do it since I bought the bike, but just hadn't taken the time to do it. Anyone tried oven cleaner yet or should I just get the paint remover that was recommended?

Thanks!

Back