Wheel bearing quality

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
Lots of people wanting to swap out their wheel bearings lately. I started looking around a little on the net and looks like prices range from $10 to $30 for the front and $25 to $45 for the rear for the Gen II.

There must be a difference in quality between some of them and I would not want to put something in that could not hold up to AT LEAST OEM standards, especially running at LSR speeds.

I am sure some of the sponsors here sell them (and that's where I'd like to end up anyway when I decide to replace) so can you tell us what are the better bearings out there without going to ceramics~?~

you could also check with a local bearing store for good bearings. The carrier is different on some. Dont buy anyting made in China.

Look no further than here.... awesome quality, comes complete with seals: All Balls Racing

For both Gen I and Gen II, they have complete kits for front/rear wheel, steering stem bearing kits, fork seals/dust seals, and even a full swingarm bearing kit (with seals). :agree:

Just in time - need to order up some bearing kits - some preemptive maintenance. WC - how many miles are you getting out of bearings?

I appear to be averaging well over 65,000 miles..... 'cuz all the bearing on my K8 are still OEM! :agree:

11brler.jpg

OEM sucks,half open bearing
So please use SKF made in France

Greetings from The Netherlands, Kees

I appear to be averaging well over 65,000 miles..... 'cuz all the bearing on my K8 are still OEM! :agree:

Bumping an ancient thread since one of my front bearings just shat the bed. Ordered a set of All Balls for $20! Can't beat that price, hope they are as good as Warchild says.

P.S. at 55k now - are you still on the originals?

Im going to get some new ones for the extra set of stoc rims I bought I changed mine at 50k . I was getting a little wobble .

Here is a question, how do you know its time to replace your wheel bearings. When I bought the bike two years ago the previous owner said he changed them, but thats just his word. How do I know they need to be changed?

Side to.side motion or up and down play when on a stand or off bike checking bearings. Ceramic or OEM, not gonna put $20 nothing on bike that's keeping me upright.

Ok I guess mine are good. So I'd be looking for a wabble kind of? If the wheel moves at all side to side or up and down, the wheel bearings need to be changed. Thanks.

Ok I guess mine are good. So I'd be looking for a wabble kind of? If the wheel moves at all side to side or up and down, the wheel bearings need to be changed. Thanks.

That's a bit too risky for me.
We change tires often enough to check wheel bearings when the wheels are taken off. Stick your finger in the hole :laugh: and turn the inner race. It should be smooth, no play and the grease on the inside needs to show no signs of metal (black) fouling.

That's a bit too risky for me.
We change tires often enough to check wheel bearings. Stick your finger in the hole :laugh: and turn the inner race. It should be smooth, no play and the grease on the inside needs to show no signs of metal (black) fouling.

Yeah, just roll the bearing with your finger when the wheel is off, it should roll smoothly with no play. If it clicks, or feels weird in any way, replace it. When on the bike riding, a bad wheel bearing will be most obvious when breaking. It will vibrate and pulse hard when breaking or otherwise feel weird.

Back