What's the cheapest way to go fast?

Hot Rod

Registered
I am a newby to the Hayabusa. I just bought a 99 for what I think is a cheap price. My original intention was to beat the bike to death and chalk it up to an entertainment expense. It is not at all what I had expected. I believed the internet hype and thought it was going to be a screamer and pull the wheel up in the first three gears. You all know it isn't designed for that type of performance. I was really let down so I started looking into modifying it to do what I'm looking for. Along the way I had an epiphany, this is the cheapest opportunity I will ever have to go 200mph. So I have set my mind to going to Bonnevile for speed week this year to break into the 200mph club. Now that I found this site and I am getting better information about what the limitations of the machine really are I'm finding that it needs to be modified to go over 200mph. I need help! I have a limited budget and I need to know that the bike is capable of 200 plus or it won't be a test of my skills it be a failure before I ever leave my house. I would love to hear anyone and everyones advice on how to guaranty I have a bike that will perform the way I need it to. If my balls shrivel up and I can't push the bike over 200 thats one thing but If my nuts don't fail me and I rap it out and I don't achieve my goal than the whole trip and all the money will be a waste.

(Hot Rod @ Jun. 20 2007,14:18) My original intention was to beat the bike to death and chalk it up to an entertainment expense. It is not at all what I had expected. I believed the internet hype and thought it was going to be a screamer and pull the wheel up in the first three gears. You all know it isn't designed for that type of performance. I was really let down so I started looking into modifying it to do what I'm looking for.
Yep, busa's are just slow junk - we were all disappointed in our bikes since most of us believed the "internet hype".  You should probably go back to your original intent - which apparently was "beating your bike to death" and then "chalking it up as an entertainment expense" then go buy yourself "a screamer".

Moderators:  we need a rolling-your-eyes emoticon on the .org.

Two short answers:
1) YES it is capable of being modified to do 200 + MPH
2) You probably can't because of your statement;"I am on a LIMITED budget" !
There's a lot of people who have gone 200+ on a Busa and other bikes, but they didn't have a very limited budget. As the saying goes: "How fast you want to go
race.gif
, depends on how much you have to spend"  
biggrin.gif

Hot Rod, I have your answer about the POS Busa

laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have been more clear about the on a budget statement. I am willing to spend 4-5 thousand to modify but I can't stand the thought of refinancing my house to have an all around tricked out machine. I am looking for all go not very interested in show. I don't think that is enough money to go after a turbo or anything big so I'm lookin for 200 inside of a budget.

2K might get ya 200+ HP, 5K 250 HP. It only takes money and time to go faster. I know one guy had 700+ HP, but that's definitely some coin, and then all you have to do is hook it up.

Come now every one , Play nice .
This can be done.
1. lower it. 125 bucks for a soupys kit.
2.new tires, 200 in rear, bigger will be better and it fits on a stock rim
3. Rear spocket 2 teeth down from stock.
4. muzzy big bore 1400 kit. on stock bottom{ end in good condition.}
5. tall velocity stacks.
6. gut the air box ,
7. change steering damper fluid out with heavy weight hydro fluid. under 10
8. Gonna need straight through exhaust. You could fab a stock header into 4into1 style and route away from you feet. Loud wont matter at bonneville. Wont need a muffler.
9. remove pair valve system and block it off.
10. Gonna need at least a 100-150 shot of nitrous.
11. get ecm custom mapped ,obviously concentrate on top end and upper mid. gonna need the torque.
12 Good fluids synthetics in engine.
13.use stock intake cam as the exhaust cam, get bigger intake cam.
14 .adjustable cam gears, retarded properly for nitrous.
15 black duct tape cause black just cooler(tightly)tape on every seem and and opening except air intakes. Oh yeah get some scoops for them too.
16.Do all the work yourself and beg for deals and be thrifty. At best for 5G's it could happen. But it would be close. And not useful for doing anything but going really really fast in a straight line on a closed track. BUT it could happen. The engine wont take full blast and spray for too long so use with great caution. 200 mph wrecks suck for a quarter mile... or more....
PULL it off, and post detail and pics and track results.
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!
super.gif

mine pulled the wheel in the first 3 gears stock maybe you got a lemon or maybe you dont know how to ride before you go 200 these are thing you should consider

(Rylinkus @ Jun. 20 2007,16:05)
(johnnycrash @ Jun. 20 2007,13:41) Moderators:  we need a rolling-your-eyes emoticon on the .org.
Truest thing Ive heard all day
We've got one:

rolleyes_extreme.gif

colon rollext colon - no spaces (sorry, hafta spell it out otherwise you get the emoticon!
tounge.gif
)

4-5k budget... talk to Brock and go wet... enough said.

(his pipe, his tune, and a dry kit on a busa has see 210+mph in the mile consistantly.)

Hot Rod,

I saw in your other post that you were thinking the busa would feel similar to a KX500.  I raced one of those monsters in the MX vet class back in 97 - I don't think there is a more violent bike than that in the world - nothing on the street is going to compare to that.  

If you really wanted wheelies you need a liter bike.  My CBR954RR would wheelie almost anywhere under 60 with just a crack of the throttle, and it was pretty much an underpowered slug compared to a busa.  The busa is too long and heavy to feel as crazy as a KX500.

As far as your budget goes - my 50 shot of N20 only cost about $600 - that'll wake your busa up pretty good.

Back