What would you do?

OB_gixerfreak

Registered
I thought I had posted this note earlier but I guess it didn't get through. Anyway I was asking for opinions on the following subject:

I was the first one to post a note about putting down my busa. It turns out that the problem with the bike was that one of the shaft bearings in the tranny seized up and basically welded itself to the shaft. Suzuki flew a rep down here and they found this problem with the bike. About two weeks ago the rep said that the bike would be ready by this past weekend. I went to check on it on tuesday and the dealer told me I might get it by next thursday. The rep said that they were going to expedite all the parts and air freight them ASAP. Anyway while I'm at the dealer the shop manager says that he needs me to sign a form that he needs to fax back to suzuki. Here is the good part:

The form basically says that "Suzuki is repairing the bike out of goodwill and in the interest of customer satisfaction. It also says that I agree that neither the dealer or suzuki is responsible and that the problem was not a manufacturing defect."

SAY WHAT? Im not sure, but unless all of you are welding tranny bearings to your shafts I think that this was a problem with the bike.
Needless to say i didn't sign the form. I also have yet to hear from suzuki directly (except for the rep that came to look at the bike) as to whether im in a damn coma or not as a result of this accident. I did screw up my hand pretty good and got all of the normal lay down injuries, bruises, scratches, etc. I have several friends who think that I should have gotten a new bike. I do think that being able to say that your bike has never been down is a selling point.
They are replacing front plastic, wheel guard, right fairing, pipe, gas tank and brake levers. Some think I have a good personal injury case. I have tried several times to get a hold of someone directly at suzuki and have gotten no response. What would you guys do?

Call for information in BREA california. That is where Suzuki headquarters is in the USA. Get the phone number then call them. Its really pretty simple.

Tell them you want a new not wrecked bike. You keep yours until it gets here. THen you will sign their form after they pay your Dr bills. Otherwise you turn it over to your attorney.

Don

If you live in California call this number 1-800-531-2424,this is the office of Richard M. Lester Attorney who loves to handle motorcycle injury cases,he also rides motorcycles,and if you do not live in California go down to your local Harley Dealer and pick up a issue of Thunder Press Newspaper"Free" and in there there's listing and adds for motorcycle Attorneys.Hate to sue anyone but sometimes you have to.My neighbor had to sue Firestone tire and a local tirer installer after he got a new tire put on his truck,he left the dealer went around a turn and the new front tire rolled right off the rim.Law suit and two years later $300,000 settlement.I would ask for a new bike period or see Mr. Lawyer,you are right first time you sell your bike first question everyone ask is "did the bike every go down",I know I've sold four bike's.

hey guys
great responses
here's another

tell your dealer
tell the rep
tell the company:

you're going to recount this entire story to every magazine for motorcycles
in print

remember suzuki's public relations disaster with the TL1000R (with the whole head shake vs. no head shake issue)
most of you realize that the bike was stable as hell, needing no steering damper whatsoever
BUT... when the public got a hold of that info, not only did suzuki have to provide dampers (at quite a cost i might add) but their reputation suffered as well

if they good time you over on this deal, let them know that you'll let everyone else know what's wrong with the bike

tell them that you'll recount the entire issue to kawasaki
and that you'll become a spokesperson for the ZX-12
remind them that the ZX-9R NEVER HAD A RECALL
and that you know that the ZX-12 will be the same

that'll rattle them
and kawasaki would love to run with that issue

just try them
they'll find you a new bike
pronto

i guarantee it

oh
by the way
i know dave despain at speedvision
maybe they'll video your complaints and play them on the next "motorcyclist" on speedvision (tuesday nights)

how does all that sound???

greg

Well Greg...its not true that the ZX9R never had a recall. It did at least have one here in Norway about the cluch mecanism. I know because my girlfriend rides a ZX9R-98 model.
Lovely bike. But only a girls bike I am afraid.
To slow and to easy handeling LOL.
I need a beast to handle ( well been used to those old GS1000 and 1100 so I guess I want some meat between my legs :)

Small point, the headshakes problem was on the TL1000S, not the R, though the R's rear shock is a bit on the firm side and could cause the same kind of problems. The TLS now comes with a steering damper. It wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for stories in the press.
As for your crashed bike, if it really was a fault caused by the way Suzuki put it together you could have a case for compensation. Have you had an independent engineer check it over? That could be important if you go to court.

with all due respect DC
i apologize about the TL1000S vs. R
but...
no one else on earth but a few european jounalists ever saw/felt that head shake
it was just someone trying to make a name for themself
now...
the press has made things safer in many instances
but...
to be perfectly honest
in THIS particular case
it was more fancy than fact

and you know i'm right about that one
just check the other 1000 pages written about the TL1000S

thanks
and no offense intended
i still love that rag of yours