What would be a good first bike?

I think he's got the bug.
biggrin.gif

yes they have great top- end in the late model600s and 750s
and the quartemile times arent bad either , i just meant these are not beginer bikes  where the busa is hittin 160 between street lights  the 600 s arent too far behind !  ninja 250 is a great starter bike  but i would start with a little more  get up and go , sportster 883 , can pick them up for 3500 to 7500 , if you wanted to go crazy , but i bet you can find a cb 750 for about 500 bucks insure it for 100 dollars  for the year  , if you drop it , who cares , if you wreck it , who cares , if you decide you dont like ridin or didnt use the bike as much as you planned  you could probably sell it for what you paid  and avoid the 3 year old gsxr 750 for sale with 230 miles ?   or worse parting out whats left of a wrecked bike !   so yes the  600s are fast  !  too fast for a beginner rider  IMO
Wow $3500-7500 for a 883 sportster? Used?! That's horrible.
biggrin.gif

250's can be had for $3k new. Much less if a deal can be had.

A friend of mine just got one of the Hyosung GT250r's.

http://www.hyosungmotors.com.au/GT250R.html

Another has the GT650r version. Both ride excellent and are virtually identical except for the displacement. I love the fact that the 250 doesn't look like a little bike. If you pulled the stickers off the side no one would know what size it was.

I really like the brakes and the power of their 250 over the Ninja's and such. I also like that Hyosung was partnered with Suzuki for many years and if you look at the bikes they look like the SV's with more faring options.

The Hyosung would cost a little more than a Ninja 250, but it also is more bike.

"in States" , If a person who got his/her licence new , can ride a busa instantly ?
<span style='color:blue'></span><span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='font-family:trebuchet ms'></span>
All you need is your riders permit, that's all my dad has for now, till he finishes his test and he rides a busa! What are the regulations where your from?
in Europe , the situation is mostly like this ,

0-2 years , max. 250Cc
3-4 years , max. 600Cc
5-x years , no limit ...

... so you have to wait 5 years to ride a Busa .
I started on a 250 enduro (learned to ride at 10), then 600cc Yamaha 1987 owned for 3 years till stolen, then 1200cc 1996 Buell now the 2006 Busa and I still have a lot to learn about riding.

Buy something used and cheep in price. Spend $1000 or so get used to the bike and after 5000 miles the sky is the limit.

Just to add, my plan of attack is:

- Bought a used 2003 Ninja 250R (2kish)
- Ride that over the course of a season or two (been riding this summer and plan to continue in the Fall)
- Already scheduled to the take the MSF course this month
- Plan to ride with friends over the next 6-8 months
- Plan to upgrade to a bigger bike (Busa, 750, whatever) next Spring/Summer

That's my plan. Depending on what Forum you're on, you will get varied opinions on what is a good first bike and when its okay to upgrade to something like a Busa (look hard enough you'll find some will say you're never ready for a Busa).

One piece of advice that is common across all boards is that its not the BIKE but the RIDER, i.e after you've ridden a number of miles (1k+), at that point, you probably know the basics on how to ride any production bike made. At this point, it more becomes about attitude and discipline than it does the actual bike.

Well at least that's my take on it!
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|pisymbol
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152544953 -->

Back