4''-6'' or 7''-9''

617jakek

Registered
I'm about to stretch my busa and I don't know if I should go with an 4''-6'' or an 7"-9"? Any suggestions open for any Thanks!<span style='color:blue'></span><span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='font-family:comic sans ms'></span>

It depends on why you are stretching it? Looks, drag racing, etc Are you still going to ride it on the street, twisties or just to bike nights. The longer it gets the harder it is going to be to hook the tire to the pavement. The short it gets the more it is going to try to wheelie.

It is kind of a give or take. That is the reason I’m still at stock wheelbase. It is a handful at the drag strip, however. I’m thinking about 1-2 inches on mine.

As far as looks, I prefer the stock wheelbase or no more that 4â€￾. Beyond that I think the tail needs to be lengthened.

post-52-02136-welcome.gif
IMO I would go with 4-6.Traction will become a bad issue.I helped put a 8 in.stretch on a 06 gixxer1000 yesterday.
SHOCKED.gif
Waaaaaaaay too much.No traction at all.But it is light.

I see your from mass, so not sure if you will enjoy on the everyday roads. If you and your buddies go riding and hit some twisties they may get away from you.
Also welcome to the org.
post-52-02136-welcome.gif

I have a 3-9" 600 arm from Spencer. Initially I set it up at about 7" over which gave me ABSOLUTELY NO traction at all. I then tried it at 6, 5, and now have settled on 4 inches over. With a shinko it hooks great now.

A person's body weight plays a big role in traction. I'm almost 300lbs and i get traction even at 9over. A Shinko Ultra soft tire helps dramaticly. The only place i find the exended length to be somewhat of a pain is when i'm moving/pushing the bike and/or when turning around. Still, it's eeasy to deal with. I've been at 6over and now i'm at 9over. If you have any questions, i can help you.

Just so you know at 6" over your OEM shock is 300lbs too weak. Meaning there is less pressure on the rear tire helping it stick. At 8" over it is 400lbs too weak. So passengers and traction become an issue. Many just stretch and go but knowing the dynamics and limits of your suspension might help with your decision process. Set-up is everything.

Im running 6" now with a shinko 003 on the back and weigh'n in at 160 (WET), you can forget about traction unless you have passengers. With the extra back end weight it all works GOOD.

So for a little guy like me i would say 2-4 is the most you want.

I plan to build mine at 4" I think that is a great place right there. Also plan to build it with 2" drop front and rear. I think it would be decent around town, some decent twisties.  But most important I am doing this to prevent me from doing wheelies.  I will be at 16/42 still, full exhaust may be boz or muzzy to start off.

Hey BTW if you have the busa at 4" over, 16/42, FULL exhaust or not, could you leave at 5k rpm and nearly pin the throttle of launch?? and not have it loop??

(ALLshow.NOgo @ Aug. 16 2007,13:47) Hey BTW if you have the busa at 4" over, 16/42, FULL exhaust or not, could you leave at 5k rpm and nearly pin the throttle of launch?? and not have it loop??
That's a question I would like to see answered.

(Truckracer @ Aug. 18 2007,01:53)
(ALLshow.NOgo @ Aug. 16 2007,13:47) Hey BTW if you have the busa at 4" over, 16/42, FULL exhaust or not, could you leave at 5k rpm and nearly pin the throttle of launch?? and not have it loop??
That's a question I would like to see answered.
I second that!
biggrin.gif
also the bike in question would also be dropped 1 to 2inches. Hope someone can answer this. Thanks

I'm at about 8" back, full Ti exhaust and PC w/custom map, Race air filter n small box mod: I've whacked it twice so far (still new chain n front brakes so not gettin crazy yet) off tha line, and w/my 230-ish lbs in gear its' hooked after a quick spin and gone like a Bat outta he!! but I'm also runnin pretty fresh tires too.

If you're racing this is way too far back-4" is plenty but I think 8-9" just looks BADAZZ!!
firedevil.gif

b.JPG

I say go 6" cause if you don't like it, you can come back down to something shorter for the cost of a new master link. If you go short, you will always wonder if you shoulda went longer, but you won't wanna spring for another new chain to find out.

As far as looping at 6" stretch while leaving at 5k, it really depends on whether or not you mean on a well prepped drag track or on the street.

I can say that I am almost 6" over with a Metzeler tire and I weigh about 198 geared up. On the street I can't leave at more than 3.5-4K and pop the clutch without just spinning. Even a stretched bike though, can hook, especially on the track.

Go long, try it out.
beerchug.gif

Stretching and lowering really do make a dramatic difference in curb appeal.

beforeandafter.jpg

Back