What to expect parting out hayabusa

xetremex

Registered
Interested if other board members who have done it would comment on the expected $$ return on parting out a complete running 2002 hayabusa in good shape. I already have an offer of $1500 on the motor + all components needed for a sandrail (ecu, wiring harness, guages, etc).

We are going to need a VIN, board :rulez:

I realize that, I haven't posted yet to the classifieds - I did read that rule. I am more asking for informational purposes.

I am parting the bike because I am buying it with a bill of sale (which is untitle-able in OH) and I'm not interested in owning it as a track/drag bike. I did a vehicle history report on the VIN, but are there any other sites or tools available to see if it is clean?

I already found someone building a sandrail who wants the motor. I can recover over 50% of my investment selling the motor alone, so I was wondering what the other parts might bring. I have checked online like ebay and craigslist and have some prices gathered there, just looking for some board members who have done it to comment.

Last edited:
I would expect it to drag out over several months , motor and clean titled frame going first forks and wheels/tires next , plastics ?

1500 motor , already gone
2000 frame title, gone imediatly
350 wheels / again hit or miss if they will sell right away
200 forks - if perfect /
900 plastics - if perfect /hit or miss if they will sell right away

just under 5 grand in a month

sittin on a shid load of parts for about a year gettin nickled and dimed every day

**** load of labor /packaging / communication

sell whole bike one sale paid in full!

tuff call personaly I d sell the whole bike and be done :beerchug:

I would expect it to drag out over several months , motor and clean titled frame going first forks and wheels/tires next , plastics ?

1500 motor , already gone
2000 frame title, gone imediatly
350 wheels / again hit or miss if they will sell right away
200 forks - if perfect /
900 plastics - if perfect /hit or miss if they will sell right away

just under 5 grand in a month

sittin on a shid load of parts for about a year gettin nickled and dimed every day

**** load of labor /packaging / communication

sell whole bike one sale paid in full!

tuff call personaly I d sell the whole bike and be done :beerchug:

good luck with those prices....If I could've gotten those prices 2 years ago, I would've kept parting out busas.

Like I said in my first post, the frame would not have an accompanying title, only a bill of sale which drastically reduces prices from what I've seen on ebay. I'd love to sell the bike outright, but it would have to be for drag racing I would imagine without a title. Any idea what that market might be like?

I have parted out two bikes in the past year, It can be profitable but shipping will dig into that profit. I'd say post parts anywhere you can but selling to a local buyer will help out on shipping costs. BTW...these bikes were not busas.

I gotta ask: Why are you in possession of an untitled/untitleable 'Busa? Please tell us that it's not because it's stolen! Please tell us it can't be titled for some other reason.
Please, because we certainly don't want to think for a moment that a forum member would traffic in stolen property. I had a bike stolen once, and I'll NEVER forget what it felt like. I have dreamt a thousand dreams about catching the theif in the act, and blowing him away with a double load of 00 buckshot.

CW

Last edited:
First off, I'm not in possession of anything - I haven't bought it yet. I was told by the seller that the previous title holder died before it was transferred so it was never re-titled and sold to the current owner with a bill of sale.

I have checked the VIN with various sites and can't find anything regarding a stolen nature. I tried calling the local PA police department but they directed me to the PA DOT which were not much help either. I have to fill out a form and wait like 6-10 weeks for some return information on the VIN.

My next call will be to the insurance company as they run the VIN and will hopefully have some additional information on the bike if I request a quote. Any other ideas or sites I can check are greatly welcome.

I'd ask for contact info on original owner's next of kin. The original owner had a title...find out where it went. The executor of the deceased person's estate can assign the title to subsequent buyer, who then ought to be able to assign it to you (if you buy it). Should be simple to do with a couple of phone calls. I had to do that with a boat and trailer I bought once. A little hassle, but no big deal.

CW

I'd ask for contact info on original owner's next of kin. The original owner had a title...find out where it went. The executor of the deceased person's estate can assign the title to subsequent buyer, who then ought to be able to assign it to you (if you buy it). Should be simple to do with a couple of phone calls. I had to do that with a boat and trailer I bought once. A little hassle, but no big deal.

CW

That seems definitely do-able. I'll try getting that information quickly, but was scheduled to pick up the bike on Friday.

I guess insurance companies don't run full checks on VINs when providing quotes as I've called two now and got nothing. I contacted an old friend whose brother is a police officer locally to ask if he can run the VIN through NCIC. Hopefully I will get more information soon.

Yes, that's the one. He has accepted my offer and am to pick it up Friday.

here is 06 for $1500.00 but with no motor. Still on the fence if im gonna buy it???:banghead:

, 003(2).jpg

, 005(2).jpg

, 004(2).jpg

, 002(2).jpg

Back