What the heck does the exhaust gasket look like?

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
I'm putting a full exhaust on my Gixxer 1k (after debating it with the new exhaust sitting in my garage for 2 months). After sweating it HARD, I finally broke down and took the old exhaust out. I don't see any gasket material. What I feel with my fingernail is all hard (like metal) and I'm afraid to scrape on anything with a sharp object because I'd hate to tear something up.

What is the color, consistency and feel of the gasket material? I have some new gaskets coming, but I don't want to make a situation worse. If I scrape on the wrong thing with something sharp, I could easily ruin a surface that has to seal later....I'm up to about my limit of wrenching prowess...

IMG_1365.jpg

Look in the exhaust ports in the head, they will be stuck in there. Take a small flat head or pick and carefully get behind the gasket and nudge it out.

It will be like a crushed woven pad and probably have a copper looking ring or washer covering each side.

I used needle nose pliers to grab one of the edges of the gasket (so I won't scrape/scratch/gall the walls of the exhaust ports)

ExhaustSeals3.jpg

I used needle nose pliers to grab one of the edges of the gasket (so I won't scrape/scratch/gall the walls of the exhaust ports)

ExhaustSeals3.jpg

Is this the before or after?

I need to take a pic of the acutal port and post it (tonight).

Is this the before or after? I need to take a pic of the acutal port and post it (tonight).

Pic I posted is NOT mine but I am pretty sure it shows the OLD (before) gasket.

Pic below of NEW gaskets in a BUSA

135164d1238121025-exhaust-gaskets-100_2027.jpg

The exhaust gaskets I got Keith were like a copper mesh ring. It was hard and metal like.

Like one in middle if I remember correctly?

DSC00908.JPG

Pic I posted is NOT mine but I am pretty sure it shows the OLD (before) gasket.

Pic below of NEW gaskets in a BUSA

135164d1238121025-exhaust-gaskets-100_2027.jpg

Ok, THIS looks familiar and something I can now visualize. I saw the little 'tabs' on the gasket and assumed that was what they were but wanted to make sure. Thank you for clearing that up!

Now, how the heck do I get these out without damaging anything? Prying them out with something sharp would scratch the block surface? I assume that would be bad..?

JUst use needle nose pliers. It takes some tugging but they will come loose. Remember this is not in the port so a small scratch is not the end of the world. But They generally come out with some tugging withthe pliers. I talk about these in my thread but the above picture are pretty much all there is to it. Yes, you will destroy it getting it out most of the time so don't plan on re-using them. Also be sure you need them on the install. My Yoshi says no gasket.

Ok, THIS looks familiar and something I can now visualize. I saw the little 'tabs' on the gasket and assumed that was what they were but wanted to make sure. Thank you for clearing that up!

Now, how the heck do I get these out without damaging anything? Prying them out with something sharp would scratch the block surface? I assume that would be bad..?

A small dental type pick (cheap at HF) works very well. You can place the pick through the gasket and snag the inside edge to pull it out without snagging or scratching the head.

in post #3 above, I suggested needle nose pliers (as did fallenarch above). Grab the TABS with the pliers but if hard to see/locate, the gasket is "SOFT" and can be easily pinched by the pliers. :thumbsup:

P.S. Dental picks were actually my 1st choice/option but either my gaskets were TOO STUCK or my picks were too cheap (kept getting bent ).

If a pic would puncture the gasket, so will a small sharp screwdriver. I just didn't want to hammer on anything in fear of permanent damage.

How do you put the new gaskets in? I have them on order now. And yes, TBB instructions say to use old gasket.

How do you put the new gaskets in?

just looks/feels "scary" yanking the old gaskets out but trust me...piece of cake :beerchug:

For the new gaskets, PRESS IN using fingers (gently push on gasket to fully seat it against the "LIP/LEDGE" inside the port)

P.S. Have your torque wrench/hex bit sockets and swivel/wobble adapter ready for the header bolts....which IMHO is the actual PITA

Once I loosened/emptied the radiator, and moved the oil cooler, My wrench and hex sockets fit pretty well.

Sorry working on Timmy Ducts bike here, !
Pm Sent!

I didnt even change out my exhaust gaskets because I forgot :laugh:. I have 0 leakage though :thumbsup:

Some do, some don't...and usually they seal up ok. I always put new ones in because if there was a small leak it would bug the living hell out of me and the 8 allens that hold the header on are enough of a PITA to warrant spending a few $$$ to do it once.

BTW. Best price I've seen on these gaskets are at Schnitz Racing. I have a set on order now.

Some do, some don't...and usually they seal up ok. I always put new ones in because if there was a small leak it would bug the living hell out of me and the 8 allens that hold the header on are enough of a PITA to warrant spending a few $$$ to do it once.

+1000 :thumbsup:

All I know is, I DO NOT want to have to pull everything off and do this again. New gaskets should be here today.

Gonna be 105 this weekend might be time for garage work!

You should see the 80000 mile Busa that is on my lift now, i have the pain job this week!
All I know is, I DO NOT want to have to pull everything off and do this again. New gaskets should be here today.

Gonna be 105 this weekend might be time for garage work!

Back