What exhaust gaskets are best?

Mythos

Registered
QUESTION ABOUT THESE:

SCHNITZ EXHAUST GASKETS

Should I get the regular gaskets for $9.95 or the Cometic which is supposed to have a larger inside diameter? I'm not worried about the extra $10 for the cometics as long as they will seal and they are a better gasket. The exhaust is a Tsukigi Cannon.

The stock gaskets must work...Think I'll try the Cometics though just to try something different. If they give a problem I'll post. I know a lot of owners don't even change the gaskets but AFAIC, might as well put new ones in any time the headers are removed. It's a lot of work to get the head pipes off. No sense in taking a chance on crushing gaskets a second time.

The Cannon is a great pipe on my 14. I love the sound and performance exceeded my expectations. I think the cannon is a better looking pipe on the busa and I always have heard good things about performance with the busa. I got the quiet insert for the busa Cannon when I do my touring and commuting. It is incredibly loud. It's a beautiful noise but there are those times when a little more quiet would be desirable.

NewbusablackCannon022.jpg
[/IMG]

NewbusablackCannon021.jpg

NewbusablackCannon013.jpg

I've been watching this thread to find out if cometic is better. I'll be changing my exhaust probably in Jan. and need gaskets. I'm with you as far as cost, you have so much into it already to start pinching pennies on things needed to complete the project correctly.
I'd like to hear how they work for you.

OK flynow. Tell ya the truth, I don't expect to be installing right away. The 14 is in need of replacement parts so I thought I might as well get the exhaust gaskets for the busa now. If you want to PM me, I could tell you my inpressiona of the Cometics but they won't actually be going in for some time.

I know a lot of owners don't even change the gaskets but AFAIC, might as well put new ones in any time the headers are removed.

I've been waiting to see what posts up also, but I've never known anyone that actually uses aftermarket gaskets on the header.

Definitely follow your own advice and swap them out with new gaskets whichever way you decide to go. The originals will most likely seat up...eventually, but can bug you to death until/if they do.

I'm sure the Cometic gaskets are better than the OEM stuff but the question is do you need that "better" performance? I have never had an issue with OEM header gaskets on anything. I assume a better gasket will seal better. You would thing this would be less of an issue on a race application since those exhaust systems had less backpressure. So maybe they do help for street applications?

It will be interesting to get an opinion from someone who knows what's up.

^^^I would hope the Cometics are better. Never heard the OEM gaskets giving anyone problems though. If the exhaust system is designed well the head pipes should line up and fit well. The gaskets should be a no brainer. I am not sure why they went to spiral steal over the thin brassy hollow construction of OEM gaskets i have seen. The Schnitz site says the Cometics have a 1.5 mm larger inside diameter which is less likely to obstruct flow.

cometics are not better oem period

I know you're Johnny Cheese but still, I could use a little more to go on than that. There's more important issues with our bikes but exhaust gaskets are something none of us want to have to revisit until we change exhausts again.

details , experiences, just a hunch???? is there something you're not telling?

I'll wager a guess........what's to gain?

Weight?

Yep, you'll have a slightly lighter wallet....

Again, what could you possibly gain by switching to an exhaust header gasket when the oem gasket just plain works and lasts?

I like the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' motto, when I see nothing to gain.

Back