What\'s the best Radar detector against the cops?

G

V1 without a doubt. I have not heard of different frequencies being used in Canada. I have friends on my car lists in Canada that are using the V1 and other US made detectors with success.

The V1 covers a large spectrum of different frequencies especially the wider KA band.

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 18 September 1999).]

I also wanted to buy a valentine but 500 plus. From all I've read it is the best.

So 2 weeks after I got my busa I went to walmart and bought a cobra lazer superwide for 39.95 + tax and had my local mechanic tap into one of the hot wires with a coil wire.

I then glued a piece of real velcro on top of the windshield (I know it's fucked up) and one on the bottom of the detector. I can hear it beep when I'm going slow but I have to use my eyes when blasting. When I'm really blasting my eyes are about 6" away from the row of lights,

It looks pretty good sitting up there,I think.

It's saved me numerous times. It also picks up radar over a mile away on long hilly straights.

It's been over 195 (indicated), sees 130 (indicated) and up every day and has never come loose.

Just a cheap alternative that's been working for me.

When added my first detector to my bike I got a cheap set of walkman headphones (not the ones that plug into your ears, but the kind that sits on top of your ears in a small format). I broke out the speakers from the frames and inserted them behind the foam in my Helmet. I wired up a jack that sits flush with my helmet (around the chin). I then opened the radar detector case and wired another jack to the inside speaker. When I ride I just plug into the helmet and I am off. I find that at high speeds I don't feel comfortable looking at my detector continuously, all I do know is listen. It is a much faster response time and I can keep my eyes on the twisties instead of on my detector. The Valentine has an external speaker plug for headphones so you just need to mod your helmet. But make sure you get low profile speakers or you are liable to mod your skull in an accident.

Dale

I had to deal with these issues as well since I couldn't hear the V1 mounted on the windscreen with earplugs. I started to buy the amplified speaker helmets that aerostich carries (and may yet) but am currently using the optional V1 audio adaptor which is small enough to mount in the front of my helmet.[velcro!] It's not much larger than a small matchbox but has an external speaker (same volume as the main unit) as well as two jacks for two different sizes of male plugs, main volume and mute volume knob and external control for V1 main unit mode selection. The main V1 unit itself/alone does NOT provide an external jack for audio. There is a small plug-like hole in the main unit that looks like an external audio jack but it is in fact a small external speaker. The optional V1 audio adaptor would be needed for external jacks for audio. There are pics/details on the V1 web site. It's about $50.

I want to purchase a radar detector for my dad's busa this up coming fall, I would like to know What is the best type? I've heard one called Valentine.. or something like that, Could someone give me a webpage to these sites? Is there a difference between a Canadian version and U.s? So the frequency can be changed when changing from a canadian area to a u.s area? I would really appreciate all your comments.

Valentine 1 wired into an Autocomm

Todd where in the hell did you fit the remote audio *in* your helmet? I can not imagine doing this as the remote audio is not that small. The remote audio unit has two external jacks for remote headsets, why don't you just use a remote headphone.

Gsx1300guy's set up works best and it is cheap. But not all of us are this lucky :)

Many of you show a great interest in radardetectors/jammers. Do you go to jail for speeding in the US ?

In Europe we simply run from the cops (and i'm not trying to be cool, well maybe a little..).

Dr. Busa - You can go to jail for speeding in the U.S. depending on the severity of the offense. I'll keep this specific to my state(OK) since I'm most familiar with our laws. In OK citation for speed in excess of 25mph over the posted speed limit can constitute a violation of reckless driving which is an offense warranting arrest. Fortunately this is call made by the officer at the scene and at the discretion of the officer. Diplomacy on the part of the driver/rider counts for a lot. Seems like I once heard it said that even a simple speeding citation (under 25mph over) is technically an offense which you can be arrested for but I have not seen the state statute verifying this and I've not ever heard of a violater ever being arrested for < 25 over for speeding alone. The police in my area are more concerned about levying a fine and filling the state coffers than they are arresting a speeder and filling out paperwork. Fines for speeding can get very expensive and when the insurance companies find out they raise your rates. This is why it can actually end up saving a LOT of money when purchasing the V1 at $400(U.S.) especially if you spend a lot of time in excess of the artificially low (in the U.S.) speed limits.

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 19 September 1999).]

Yes - but the problem with the current jammers available are many. First - most of the jammers on the market have not been proven to be effective. Those that do work (active jammers) aren't 100% effective all the time. They are also very large and bulky due to containing an active transmitter. Also there are no current jammers effective against KA band radar which most agencies are now using or moving to. Also legal concerns regarding the use of jammers is a consideration. In my state(OK) and a few others like Minn, Nebraska, VA, WASH DC there are specific laws in place against the use of jammers (even the passive jammers and low output active jammers) and fines are severe if convicted of using these devices in those states. Also the jammer I had experience with was very poor as far as detection range. Detection was very short and then jammer transmission matching the radar's frequency would immediately take place to jam the signal.[return a false signal] This caused a disadvantage when faced with sporadic low power instant on emmissions being used against traffic ahead - a situation that is handled well by the V1.
Lastly - the active jammers are constantly emmitting a transmission while scanning for a received signal to lock on. They set off other radar detectors nearly as effectively as radar itself. I had people slamming on their brakes in front of me and clogging traffic constantly. They (detector users) thought they were being clocked by radar! Amusing at first but seems rude (on my part) after a while. The advantage of traffic ahead moving nearly as fast as yourself and providing cover against radar is diminished.

Thnx for all your inputs, i would just want to know, most of u guys don't own the v1 tho.. and if u do you have added stuff. So if would call the company and order it, and they ship it to me, what else would i need? anything added things? and where abouts do you place the v1? on the bike or in your pocket? cuz it's pretty expensive if u ask me :) I live up in canada so it's gonna be like 600-700 bucks.. unless i go buy a different one. Any suggestions?

I guess it depends on one's definition of small but at about 2 3/8" wide, 1 5/8" deep and 3/4" tall the V1 remote audio easily fit in the front of my Shoei full face with room for another one. Seems small to me.

As I posted earlier I may yet add the helmet speakers sold by aerostich (made by a company in Canada) but my current setup has been working so well it hasn't been a big hurry.

Back