Cobra xrs9985 radar detector initial review...

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
I don't know much about radar dectectors but have needed one for a long time...especially with the busa and new hot rod titan...but for the last few years I have known that Valentine1 and Passport8500 X50 are two top choices..however...tonight?..I hit BestBuy, Circut City and Radio Shack and settled for a CobraXRS9985 for $219..and apparently?...it's such a new model I doubt anybody has had the opportunity to test and review against the others...but the features I liked most that swayed me from the historically proven tried and trues were...

1. Full Color, Extreme Bright, Data Grafix Display which not only id's any one of 12 bands including Radars of....X,K,Ka,Ku,VG-2 & Spectre1 Detector-Detector....and Lasers of...LTI 20-20,Ultra Lyte,ProLaser and ProLaserIII bands...and that full color display is AN EXCELLENT VISUAL as it Stobes Hot Bright and Hard.

2. 360 Degree Coverage

3. Ultra Performance Extended Detection Range

4. Voice Alerts (of the sensual female type LOL!)

5. Battery Voltage Display and...

6. Electronic Compass Feature

Only tried it out on the way home but so far it seems to work real well and I'm very pleased with the huge visual alert...and cool azz color graphix...and now?..I just need someone to tell me the best way and where to wire up a 12 volt cigarette lighter outlet on my busa...but for $219 at Radio Shack?..imho?...this detector pretty much rox...I'm impressed...but I'm also radar ignorant..so impressing me might not take much....and H.org member Ride-Or-Fish helped me out by answering my many questions via cell phone as I shopped tonight...thanks bud!
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

hey....seriousely...I think I read somewhere's that's there's an open pigtail in the wiring harness up front (used in euro model busas for a parking light that the US models don't have) that's ideal for a hardwire connection to hook up my radar detector...can someone here elaborate and specify location?

T.I.A. Bill.
cool.gif

Okay...here's the deal folks...as stated I knew for the past few years that the Valentine1 and Passport 8500X50 were/are the top two detectors for two wheeling...Beltronics makes a real good rig as well but from what I understand?...the beltronics products are suceptable to pc board damamge from bike vibes...and now back to the Cobra XRS9985 I bought...

The Passport8500 (topped my short list) until I got a gander at the latest greatest Cobra Model XRS9985...and apparently past generation Cobra Detectors weren't all that and were/are the brunt of some real mixed reviews as compared to passport, beltronics and even whistler...however...this new detector from cobra is so new that there is literally no information available even on the net as of yet...not even on radio shacks website (where I bought the damn thing in a local mall) and not even any information on it at cobras very own website...it's that new...and it's also labeled as "REVOLUTION SERIES"....and as far as I can tell so far?...This is cobras real hard effort at a super strong comeback. The primary thing that attracted me to it was it's "Killer Visual Display" as that eliminates the need for wireless audio or the wiring in of high decible piazzo screamer type speakers to hear alerts as it's full color, extra bright, data graphix display is very colorful, bright annnnd..."Eye Catching"....big time...cobra is also boasting ultra-extended detection range (something previous models were jaded for with claims that hey didn't give enough "advanced warning")...well I'm here to tell ya...they do now...as using the cobra xrs9985 all weekend?...the wife and I picked off every leo there's been in the city and interstate with very few false alerts as the alrt systems elevate to 5 Levels and we were shot hard twice today to a Ka5 level alert...and would then see the FHP man about 1/2 to 1 mile up the road...and the cobra XRS9985 picked off several solid verified hits in town today...I'm very pleased and confident with this detector so far and it was priced over $100 less than the Passport8500 with a far better visual full color graphic display which is again...very eye catching and informative with it's 12 band Radar/Laser 5 Level alert system.

The young salesman who who assited me claimed his best bud worked in another radio shack north of us informed his mananger and got permission to buy 3 detectors (with the knowledge he would be returning two of'em) and he mouinted all three on his dash up and running to decide which he liked best...a top line whistler...a top line Bel and this new revolution series Cobra XRS9985...he kept the Cobra and returned the Whistler and Bel...and with my reciept?...I can return this Cobra Detector to radio shack at anytime in the next 30 days...but so far?...it's looking like a keeper...$219 and very pleased with thge performance thusfar.
biggrin.gif

Oh and PS...I'm gonna challenge ya'll to find out anything you can on the Cobra XRS9985 Revolution Series model detecor as I can't find a thing and would like to know what others think and/or have found cause like I said...I'm no detector guru and while cobra may have started getting a bad name?..This unit is looking like "Cobras ComeBack".

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

hehe.... hot rod titan[/QUOTE]

I can see we're gonna have to meet at Desoto.
cool.gif

First trucks...then busas.....
wink.gif

Back