What of Kim Potter?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
This is in my opinion a real shame. I think Potter was doing what she thought was right at the time, not driven by racism or the malice of many recent killer Cops. Potter was training two cops. One of them decided to cuff the suspect while he was partially in the car (rather than clearing him to the back of the car). This gave Daunte Wright a big tactical advantage had he wanted to use it. I think this started Potter's panic, the struggle the officer was engaged in was dangerous and ill-advised - especially knowing Wright had weapons warrants associated with failure to appear. I don't know how you can watch the videos and not believe Potter truly made a disastrous mistake.

There were some troubling issues here:
1. What Kimberly did was clearly manslaughter, she essentially pleaded guilty right on the scene saying "I shot him" and "I'm going to jail". Those two statements are enough to convict on the charges and the "I'm going to jail" comment implies she understood what had happened.
2. Officer Potter yelled that she was going to tase the suspect, so Daunte was not given the option to surrender to a threat of deadly force. Mr. Wright was stopped because he had an air freshener on his mirror. Given the aggressiveness of the interaction with the Cops (all Black people have asked themselves when do they stop complying with a bad cop and protect their lives), Mr. Wright had to be thinking this is very wrong and it was a hassle stop.
3. The shot Potter fired was in the direction of Daunte's girlfriend also, so that sort of supports that she thought she was shooting a taser (if you stipulate that some of Potter's training was still working).
4. Accident or not, these sorts of things happen too often to Blacks and much less often to Whites in the same situation.

For me, as a Black man, It's good to see that the legal system called manslaughter according to the law even when it's a white cop vs. a black suspect. On the other hand, I absolutely believe this was an accident, and Potter was panicked because one of her trainees had put themselves in a very compromised position. I also question the application of manslaughter to cops in situations like this. Manslaughter usually involves negligence on the part of the perpetrator. For example, a DUI suspect who causes a fatal crash - they initiated the events leading to the deaths by drinking and driving. But a cop is doing their job and to hold them to the same standard is to say that people don't make mistakes.

So what should happen here? I think the laws are the laws, and Potter should have been convicted. This way, the laws apply to everyone. But I hope she does not get a forever sentence. Maybe 14 years with all but 1 or 2 suspended with some constructive public service like telling police departments her story and what went wrong. Potter had 26 years of training and experience - how does such a rookie mistake happen? The Wrights should get a very big civil award obviously. Finally, we need to clearly define the difference between manslaughter in the line of duty vs. a negligent civilian who places the public in danger.

Those are my thoughts. I think I must be correct because these positions anger left and right people, haha.

I echo the statement by @sixpack577 not much more can be said...

Police need to learn how to police and it isn't at the end of a gun or even a taser.....they drive around in their patrol vehicles and are oblivious to the people they are charged to police....many of them live off intimidation and arrogance. I've trained many of them and their arrogance and self-importance was every evident...once we started to get into the harder training and we had the opportunity to humble them, we'd take it. In some cases once we were completed the training sessions, a few would take a closer look at themselves....each and everyone of them really hoped they would never have to go up against one of us if we cracked our nut....

I thought she would walk. Even though she thought she was using a taser I think she was justified to shoot him. If she didn’t make that mistake and just pulled her pistol would the outcome be the same? I watch the video and I see him escaping custody kicking at the police and trying to drive away putting the public in danger.
She didn't think shooting him was justified, even though she did it accidentally. I don't she how you thought she would walk given the circumstances, but then you have your way of looking at things.

She didn't think shooting him was justified, even though she did it accidentally. I don't she how you thought she would walk given the circumstances, but then you have your way of looking at things.
Do you thinking if she did it on purpose it was justified and the verdict would be different? That is where my mind goes if she could of legally shot him it doesn’t matter if it was a accident.

Thoughts on the one guy that got killed with the 14 year old girl? I could go unjustified on that one.
I know county sheriffs can set the rules and I have had 2 friends that are cops quit because the rules the sheriff set.

Do you thinking if she did it on purpose it was justified and the verdict would be different? That is where my mind goes if she could of legally shot him it doesn’t matter if it was a accident.

Thoughts on the one guy that got killed with the 14 year old girl? I could go unjustified on that one.
I know county sheriffs can set the rules and I have had 2 friends that are cops quit because the rules the sheriff set.
I don't know what the rules of engagement are in that department but I don't know how a cop can know there is someone in the line of fire behind a wall? You could move all cops to shotguns with birdshot, but you are going to have a lot of suspects getting off kill shots after taking a hit of birdshot.

On the other hand, if I discharge my gun I'm responsible for whomever it hits, intentional or not.

I don't know what the rules of engagement are in that department but I don't know how a cop can know there is someone in the line of fire behind a wall? You could move all cops to shotguns with birdshot, but you are going to have a lot of suspects getting off kill shots after taking a hit of birdshot.

On the other hand, if I discharge my gun I'm responsible for whomever it hits, intentional or not.
If someone broke in to your house and you pulled a gun to stop them and on accident pulled the trigger and killed them does it now make it illegal? This is how I viewed her case.

I can tell you for a fact that birdshot would be lethal at the range the girl was shot in that dressing room.
The spread of the pellets would be less than 2' as well.
I have a Stoger 12 gage double barrel(side by side) double trigger, hammerless, 18" Coach gun.
At 30' to 40'....it blew 2 holes in my friend's 1" plywood target holder(it's safe behind it and for small caliber).
Holes about 8" in diameter, with peppering about a foot all the way around it...from an 18" barrel/shortest legally on the market...with the widest spread as result.
Would the shot have penatrated the bad guy and still went into the dressing room, and with lethal force?
If you've ever seen a 12 gage exit wound, all I can say is that I wouldn't want to have been behind him.
And any miss on him would have been more gruesome than handgun fire.

I agree with Arch in terms of the law.
But, I also think both situations are rare and exceptional, to the point to where they at least prove that a cookie-cutter generic justice system can be unfair sometimes...much like a truck driver in Colorado getting 110 years for 4 manslaughter sentences from a traffic accident.

My good friend and former colleague is a police officer and has been since 1990....he said it seems to him, police are quicker going for lethal and non-lethal means in many cases due to the fact they haven't a strong physical capability...he was saying even out of the academy most of them couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag and we all know as soon as they start to get the short end, they resort to a higher level of force. He blames this on hiring practices where they are seeking diversity over higher scores in fitness and intelligence.

He had training officers who worked the worst areas and in 30 years they have never pulled out a weapon-never needed to.

My good friend and former colleague is a police officer and has been since 1990....he said it seems to him, police are quicker going for lethal and non-lethal means in many cases due to the fact they haven't a strong physical capability...he was saying even out of the academy most of them couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag and we all know as soon as they start to get the short end, they resort to a higher level of force. He blames this on hiring practices where they are seeking diversity over higher scores in fitness and intelligence.

He had training officers who worked the worst areas and in 30 years they have never pulled out a weapon-never needed to.
Don't know about that one buddy. The Black officer is usually the most physically imposing officer. Cops were shooting people well before integration was an issue too.

Don't know about that one buddy. The Black officer is usually the most physically imposing officer. Cops were shooting people well before integration was an issue too.
I'm not so sure we are on the same page (which is a new thing)....I'm not talking black or white, I'm talking placing diversity over physical presence and intelligence...diversity includes all ethnic races as well as genders...not just black people.

The physical standard went away as well....120 lb people were hired with the emphasis on females...this sort of hiring practice and requirement has jeopardized more than one life...

Then it goes the other way where the steroid induced "super cop" has a chip on his/her shoulder as large as a Sequoia tree and something to prove. I've trained lots of these kinds who gravitate towards the ERTs...

Last edited:
I said in one of these threads she should be found guilty but get a light sentence, which is what happened. This was a mistake. She panicked and screwed up. It's really an f'd up situation, but the sentence is a fair one.

Back