What makes this market so dangerous for customers?

CrashBomb

Registered
Since the early days of our beloved sport, motorcyclists have been seen not only as outsiders or "rebels," but often as dangerous thugs by a less than informed public. The recent explosion of the cruiser bike culture has done a lot to quell that attitude, but a large part of the population still believes that bikers are not to be trusted. The reemergence of the last F.A.S.T. debacle has gotten me into a thinking mood about the state of the turbo sportbike market and how this affects public perception.

I'm not saying there aren't good builders out there. There are a lot of turbo customers who are very happy with their purchases, and their confidence in the companies they buy from and subsequently support does wonders to shore up the legitimate market and attract new customers. But on some days it seems like there are just as many crooks in this market as legitimate builders, and this surprises me. I've been involved in the high performance car and bike world for most of my life, and on the whole the saying that "car people (or bike people, in this case) are good people," usually holds true. So why do we have so much trouble with crooks like Andrew from F.A.S.T. and his ilk? And I don't think anyone needs to be reminded of the massive amount of fraud that Dennis perpetrated.

Very little of the ensuing conflict spills over to this site, I think largely due to the fact that the people here are simply more civil, better informed, and on the most part more intelligent than the patrons of the other sites. But it doesn't take very much reading in any of the turbo threads on any of the sites in question before you run into anger, theft, fraud, unfounded opinionatedness, poor business practices, and various criminal activities that make the turbo sportbike market look like a two wheeled version of the Nixon administration.

Some people may argue that forced induction as a whole is a tricky science that takes a lot more than just bolting a blower on an engine, as so many turbocharger/supercharger "kit" manufacturers would have you believe. But I would counter this with the fact that I don't see this kind of thing happening anywhere near as often in the roots blown classic/muscle car market; the forced induction "modern" muscle car world doesn't have the same problems (i.e. Trans Am and Mustang); the turbo Buick guys don't seem to struggle with similar rip off artists; the turbo RX-7 population is largely well informed and perpetrators of scam deals don't last long; the turbo Supra market doesn't suffer from these problems, although it's become inflated (especially MKIV) so far beyond the car's intrinsic value that it's actually funny (I recently saw an asking price of twenty thousand dollars for a non-running '93 NA Supra with a salvage title that was actually UNDERWATER for at least twelve hours during Katrina.) So why does the turbo bike market have to put up with one of these clowns every few months?

Others may argue the point that it's the anonymity the internet provides which allows people like this to swindle basically decent, just poorly informed, customers out of their hard earned dollars and cents. But the question remains: Why is it largely relegated to the FI sportbike market and less prevalent in the ones I mentioned above? The high performance auto communities certainty have their own websites and web based businesses who don't seem to take their money and fail to deliver, at least not as often as I see in this world.

I suppose in the end, my point is that the cager community doesn't need an excuse to see bikers as thieves and morally reprehensible characters who are a danger to civilized society, they have felt this way since the early days and will continue to for as long as the industry exists. I believe the division itself represents a kind of glitch in human behavior that says it's easier to distrust, marginalize, and hate that which you fail to understand than it is to understand whatever it is in the first place. We are fundamentally different from these people in the way we see the world, and few of our differences are reconcilable in the mind of the average minivan driving, cell phone happy soccer mom. But when the outside world sees us ripping each other off and preying on lesser informed consumers, it only serves to provide them with more ammunition to use against us. You can't blame them for pursuing the flawed logic; "Wow...if the way they treat each other is any indication, what chance does a square like me have when approached by a group of leather clad, scary looking "bikers" on a dark street?"

What are your thoughts on this? I'm not looking for recommendations of turbo tuners, or posts that simply state "I'm perfectly happy with my turbo setup that XYZ built." I'm curious as to the thoughts of this community about what is wrong with this market and how we can fix it? Let's discuss it intelligently (a hallmark of this site, as opposed to the others, where a post like this would be met mostly with angry rhetoric and epically poor grammar) and perhaps this discourse may begin to facilitate some form of change in a business that has had more than its share of theft and fraud.

I've wondered the same thing. Just when i've thought i've found a decent person, then i find their dirty laundry. Finding a decent tuner is just as tricky. The only guy i haven't heard bad about is Bert from 1320straightliners. Even though he has a way of getting humself banned on pretty much every motorcycle forum, i see no connection between that and his ability to provide a great turbo system. The guy knows his stuff.

When i first got into turbo's i was ready to drop my $$ with Dennis(Motorhead). Only for me to find out how shady the guy can be. It seems to me that if you want a stage1 from this guy, he's fine. But, if your looking for high HP with a more custom set-up that's where the problems start. Most of the horror stories seem to deal with stage2 or 3 systems.

When i first got into turbo's i was ready to drop my $$ with Dennis(Motorhead). Only for me to find out how shady the guy can be. It seems to me that if you want a stage1 from this guy, he's fine. But, if your looking for high HP with a more custom set-up that's where the problems start. Most of the horror stories seem to deal with stage2 or 3 systems.
I agree that he seems to have ripped off his Stage 2+ customers much more often than the people that just want to buy a simple bolt on Stage 1 kit. You'd think that he'd treat the people who were willing to drop twenty thousand or more dollars BETTER than the customers who only wanted to spend a few grand, but pathological thieves like Dennis don't adhere to any kind of quantifiable logic. I too was considering him for a build for awhile, largely due to the fact that he's the only tuner I could comfortably drive to and drive home again on the same day. But my estimation is that if he can't deliver the system that Jason (I'm sorry...I've forgotten his last name) paid something like 26k for he's not the kind of person I want to give a penny to, much less multiple thousands of dollars.

Most businesses thrive on repeat customers and the people who have enough faith in their skills to drop five or six figures worth of coin. Dennis seems to have forgotten or simply never known that fact.

I've also wondered many times why Burt is so eminently able to get himself banned from every single sportbike website known to man and several known only to monkeys. I don't know if this is due to his proclivity to run his mouth or because other turbo builders control access to some of the sites and don't want legitimate builders like Burt to gain a foothold because it will make perpetrating their scams all the more difficult. Burt doesn't so much talk smack as just talk...endlessly...without pause...without even taking a breath. I've spoken to him on the phone several times, he is an extremely pleasant person and his epic knowledge of turbo Hayabusas is eclipsed by very few others in the game. But my HOLY GOD the man can talk. I wonder if that gets him into more trouble than he realizes.

The only guy i haven't heard bad about is Bert from 1320straightliners.  Even though he has a way of getting humself banned on pretty much every motorcycle forum, i see no connection between that and his ability to provide a great turbo system. The guy knows his stuff.
Well I bought a street fighter kit from this guy. As a precausion I decided not to pay him in full, for being afraid of being ripped off. Payed him half and then the rest when it was ready for shipment. BTW he just resells the kits he is not a builder, kit is actually made by SLOWBOY RACING. Oyea he can talk your ear off but he makes no sens at all.
I kept getting the run around, than when he sent me the kit he didn't send the FPR nor the airfilter and also installed a 3lbs spring in the wastegate for a 6psi system.

When i tried to call him he wouldn't pickup the phone and would comeback with an excuse that he was out of town. Oyea he upped the pice of the kit because he had to provide an external fuelpump. Because he didn't know that the 99 and 00 used external pumps.

After bad mouthing him on psycobike he decided to give me some money for the parts he was missing. BTW he never provided a map for the kit. After I called SLOWBOY racing they gave me the map for the kit.

I will never buy anything from this *******

Well GMBUSA Bert has some dirt on him now.lol Every builder will occasionally make a mistake, but it's how they respond or deal with the situation thats important. For me the guy's at Velocity treated me great and I'll continue to be a dedicated customer.{the other day I figured it up and I have spent over $35000 with them} If I had felt ignored or anything else I would have gone some where else. I recently purchased the new 08 and guess where I'll drop another $20000 or so. Treat people fairly with a little consideration and you will have a customer for life. Before I went with Barry I considered letting Lee do my work.{he's much closer} But he didn't give me the time of day one time at Rockingham so his loss of $40000-$50000 in turbo work[I HAVE AN OBSESSION HERE] he will never know about. GREED DESTROYS A BUSINESS!!!!!!

The only guy i haven't heard bad about is Bert from 1320straightliners.  Even though he has a way of getting humself banned on pretty much every motorcycle forum, i see no connection between that and his ability to provide a great turbo system. The guy knows his stuff.
Well I bought a street fighter kit from this guy. As a precausion I decided not to pay him in full, for being afraid of being ripped off. Payed him half and then the rest when it was ready for shipment. BTW he just resells the kits he is not a builder, kit is actually made by SLOWBOY RACING. Oyea he can talk your ear off but he makes no sens at all.
I kept getting the run around, than when he sent me the kit he didn't send the FPR nor the airfilter and also installed a 3lbs spring in the wastegate for a 6psi system.

When i tried to call him he wouldn't pickup the phone and would comeback with an excuse that he was out of town. Oyea he upped the pice of the kit because he had to provide an external fuelpump. Because he didn't know that the 99 and 00 used external pumps.

After bad mouthing him on psycobike he decided to give me some money for the parts he was missing. BTW he never provided a map for the kit. After I called SLOWBOY racing they gave me the map for the kit.

I will never buy anything from this *******
you know people make mistakes no why didnt ask for all your money back and ship him the kit back?

and my second complaint is why didnt he make sense to you cause my phone bill is always outrageious when i talk to him and it makes sense to me.

you cant get ahold of him ummm thats why you get his cell number which is in my phone cause i have him on my leash hahahah but if i call the shop he might be out all day gettin parts he doesnt get all this money from no where is small time guy trying to go big just like the rest of us i will take one for him on that one i have talked to him many occasions even late after hours

so a mistake once in awhile HEii we ar all human I thinkl right

dear god it's a novel!
cool.gif

Give us a call for all your turbo needs (Johnny Turbo out of Sarasota Florida). Exoticycle..;) We can hook you up with no drama or worries.

To the OP.  I believe I understand where you are coming from and I do agree.  I would really like to do a stage 1 turbo kit one day, but just buying a new house is keeping me from buying a new kit and especially from having the company do the install also.  The problem I run into is buying a used system without being ripped off like so many others.  I simply can't trust anyone on the web (for the most part).  This is one of the few sights where I feel there are some good, honest, trust worthy people to deal with.

Anyways, it's very sad what the internet has done to this world.  Yes, it has brought many of us together in a way that would be impossible otherwise, but the evil that comes along with it is scary.

God Bless and have a wonderful Christmas everyone  
beerchug.gif

Well this is my thought on all this all you guys are just adding to the bad rep or mistakes that these guys have made. Like some one else has mentioned they are human and make mistakes some worse than others. But the way I see it is if you want a turbo or mods done and you don't want to trust any one learn your bike and do the work your self then when it is all done the only person you can blame is yourself. The guys that have been mentioned above in previous post are all just trying to make a living and if you don't do your research before hand and you get screwed then it your own fault. So again I say learn your bike do it yourself then you don't have to worry about somebody else makeing a mistake on your ride or screwing you. Just my 2 cents
beerchug.gif

i bought a stage 1 kit from richard at rcc turbos. i have had nothing but top notch tech support from him. the kit itself is top quality parts and all hoses and fittings are labeled. the instructions are easy to follow and EVERY time i called with questions richard himself picked up the phone and patiently talked me thru whatever silly mistake i was making. on 2 occasions he called me to see how it was going.everything fit how it was supposed to and nothing was missing.he takes pride in his kits and support. i would never buy a turbo kit from anyone else.
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

well before RCCTURBOS was out of the closet per se' I built my own.
Dirt was flyin about this vendor that vendor hard to make sense, I do not live with them, nor can I drive right on by and see for myself.
Anyways if I bought a system built by someone, I would not hesitate to deal with Richard of (RCC) period.
He has spent time talking with me about several things on my turbo system I built and the concerns I had about the secondary setups.

I finally got the secondary setup, guess what it is a RCC setup on my header/turbo combo.

so I guess back to the basics for us all-
greed is a *****- and it proves it to us every time, the true side of shady people always comes out.

Just takes some longer then others.

I agree to what Ruber2burn wrote & is EXACTLY why I built my own setup:

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>

Well this is my thought on all this all you guys are just adding to the bad rep or mistakes that these guys have made. Like some one else has mentioned they are human and make mistakes some worse than others. But the way I see it is if you want a turbo or mods done and you don't want to trust any one learn your bike and do the work your self then when it is all done the only person you can blame is yourself. The guys that have been mentioned above in previous post are all just trying to make a living and if you don't do your research before hand and you get screwed then it your own fault. So again I say learn your bike do it yourself then you don't have to worry about somebody else makeing a mistake on your ride or screwing you. Just my 2 cents
beerchug.gif
[/quote]

BUILD YOUR OWN , oh let me say it again. BUILD YOUR OWN. Take the time and learn your hobby. It never ceases to amaze me how people want to pay premium dollar for a kit with installation then a few weeks go by, they pop open the tank area to show there buddy, who has no idea what he is looking at then they close the tank and it runs like crap because the fuel return line is pinched. Now there true talent is going to come into play when they jump on the internet to bit ch bite some poor installer who did his job right the first time. Big results require big risk, learn your hobby!

BUILD YOUR OWN , oh let me say it again. BUILD YOUR OWN. Take the time and learn your hobby. It never ceases to amaze me how people want to pay premium dollar for a kit with installation then a few weeks go by, they pop open the tank area to show there buddy, who has no idea what he is looking at then they close the tank and it runs like crap because the fuel return line is pinched. Now there true talent is going to come into play when they jump on the internet to bit ch bite some poor installer who did his job right the first time. Big results require big risk, learn your hobby!
well i bought a proven kit and installed it myself. i didn't just buy it and follow the instructions, which were very very thorough, i took the the time to learn about the function of each part. so i know how and why each part works. if i lift the tank and pinch the line my fuel pressure gauge will indicate hi pressure as soon as i start the bike. if my a/f mixture is off while in boost maybe a little bleed screw adjustment is in order. if i get confused with a issue i am not familiar with i can pick up the phone and call Richard. using a proven kit has its advantages
thumb_up.gif

Back