What is everyones favorite helmet?

Lazerblade

Protector of Freedom
Donating Member
Registered
I am going to have a new helmet made to match my pumkin. I have a RF 900 now and like it but it does not breath very well. Please tell me the pros and cons of what you all have.

Thanks,

Paul

I started with the shoei RFR. Heavy and doesnt breath worth a damn. I then purchased a Arai RX-7 RR4 and never looked back. Light in weight and venting is top notch. Good for round head shapes. The visor is a snap to remove and the liner is fully removable for cleaning. I currently own 4 helmets. 2 arai s' and 2 shoei s'. Arai RX7 and the quatum and a shoei X-11 which I havent had a chance to use and also a new Shoei RF900 Busa replica that I havent used also. The X-11 just doesnt feel as comfortable on my head as my arai s'. I ordered a smaller head liner for the X-11. If that doesnt work, I will put the X-11 up for sale. From what I have read the X-11 should be the best helmet on the market for venting.

Well.. my girlfriend at the time knew I've wanted a 'busa for so long.. 8 months ago she got me a '03 gray/black 'busa Shoei after she backed her cage over my old gray RF-900. My fault actually, I set it on her back bumper when I stopped by.. and well.. 22" tires on a 3500 lb truck > Shoei. Big crack on the cranium didn't look safe anymore. It's gotta look goofy as hell as I'm cruising around on my red '99 Ninja 500 with a 'busa helm. :tounge: I guess the only good thing about it is it forces me to eventually get the 'busa - good enough reason for me.. :D

I am a total Arai B*tch. It is a bit louder than the Shoei's were but over all quality, comfort and light weight, it's hard to beat Arai.
But most importantly, find a helmet that fits your particular head shape, there are different models of both Arai and Shoei that are shaped to fit differen't heads.
If you buy either a Shoei or an Arai and get a newer model, you should notice some improved airflow, especially the new X-11, and Arai Corsair models...

I have an older Quantum-F from ARAI, it works pretty well but it is an older model, there should an improvement with the new stuff...

I have an HJC...I know it's not what most people here have, but I went to a sport bike shop looking for a full-face with good ventilation...it was the newest design out (a C-14 I think) with lots of vents and an inner liner that actually allowed the vents to operate...

It's been great so far...only problem will be in the winter...I'll need to stuff a scarf or something up under my chin because that area's more open than any other full-face I've had...

HJC flip face...I really like it because I smoke and at turlte cruise I can stay lit...Also have the matching Platinum and Silver Busa helmet...Taken out only for special occassions to flex...

I want the helmet that the tint color can change and get lighter and darker with the sunlight. Has built in MP3 player for tunes a 360 radar detector and jammer along with nightvision and headsup display gps map with a cool paint job where the paint moves like liquid so it keeps changing :laugh:
also a drink and snack despenser ....and built in heat and air with anti fog and rain guard
that is the helmet i want some day will be able to find it

or have it made .......for about million bucks :laugh:

would be the one i want to have !!

I had a HJC CL-12 and now have the Shoei Z-II. It is very quiet and vents are awesome. The top of my head get great airflow and stays cool. It comes with the chin insert for winter to keep the air out.

VaBusa, my CL-12 has the velcro for the chin shield, so I'm sure they have one for the CL-14.

I have a Arai RX7-Corsair, I did alot of reasearch before I bought this helmet because my last helmet was a HJC LT-20 and it just plain sucked (bad ventalation, heavy, uncomfortable) so I decided to purchase the most ventalated helmet on the market. I love it I wear it every time I ride compared with about once every 20 times I rode with the HJC.

I had a HJC CL-12 and now have the Shoei Z-II.  It is very quiet and vents are awesome.  The top of my head get great airflow and stays cool.  It comes with the chin insert for winter to keep the air out.

VaBusa,  my CL-12 has the velcro for the chin shield, so I'm sure they have one for the CL-14.
Thanks for the info Sane_man...I'll be needing that this winter!

Arai all the way. I have used many different brands over the years and nothing comes close to the quality and fit and finish of an Arai. I personally have a Quantum-F and it is very light and comfortable and they have an awesome graphics selection (if you want that).

Like others have said, different brands and models seem to fit different shaped heads so try as many as you can find and spend as much as you can afford. DO NOT GO CHEAP ON A HELMET - BAD MOVE!

I used to use Shoei's (still have an X-Tec - not bad), but most of them do not fit right and they are all too damn big. What I mean is no matter what size you get, compare them to a same size Arai and they are noticeably larger in outside dimension. But it varies largely by model.

Arai all the way. I have used many different brands over the years and nothing comes close to the quality and fit and finish of an Arai. I personally have a Quantum-F and it is very light and comfortable and they have an awesome graphics selection (if you want that).

Like others have said, different brands and models seem to fit different shaped heads so try as many as you can find and spend as much as you can afford. DO NOT GO CHEAP ON A HELMET - BAD MOVE!

I used to use Shoei's (still have an X-Tec - not bad), but most of them do not fit right and they are all too damn big. What I mean is no matter what size you get, compare them to a same size Arai and they are noticeably larger in outside dimension. But it varies largely by model.
Absolutely true Eak, That is one of the reasons I moved to Arai, the Shoei's were just huge. I think they are getting better or have changed their manufactering processes some but both the Shoeis in the house really dwarf the Arai.
I dunno what the deal is they both carry the same ratings protection wise so who knows.
I had to wear a large Shoei as well, then I tried on my buddies MED Arai and what do you know? It fit better...I dunno...
Good stuff, though I wish the Arai's had Shoei's visor system and visors, that is the one area where Shoei is ahead of the game, their iridium was much more durable, and the exchange system was top notch, The Arai's visor can be a bit fidgety...

I have an Shoei RF900..

It's a fairly comfy lid, but the venting isn't all that it's sold as being. I catch myself holding my breath at stop lights, can get a little "dizzy" at a long light!! especially when the temp drops. But just "cracking" open the sheild isn't to tough. Tried alot of other buckets, but I'm a little cramped in the shield area, (nose) you know what they say!!  But it's a very decent helmet for the buck. I had a couple of other helmets "Lifted" from my bike. They cut the straps to get'em loose..Probably not much use now. Hope they "take a spill" with one woobling on their heads!! Don't know what's up, but it seems that the low end lids just seem to fit me better, with little, or no pressure points. Plus, it won't be as horrible to hear that "Crack sound" when, or if it should ever bounce on the ground. You know that sound!!!

Too lazy to scroll for names but:

Look into a "quiet rider" by NOJ to quiet helmet noise down. They work great in the winter time and fit all helmets. They have a summer and winter version. Used winter version in summer with no problems.

As far as the custom helmet with the HUD, MP3, RADAR, SELF TINTING, AND COOL.

Check out the modifications made using helicopter helmet technology. They actually make helmets w/dual shields, add a chatterbox system and you have the cell phone, and MP3. Het the HUD add on for the radar detector and throw on a camel back. Sounds like that covers it.

ICE

Arai RX7 - not the most silent in the market, but when I was at the shopping the owner picked one and folded the visor completely... didn't break, didn't mark... nothing. He told me it's very strong and very secure helmet. (note: I went there to buy gloves and he knew it. he was only showing the quality of the helmet) - i only bought it 2 years later.

Any Shoei fits my head better than any other brand. And yes I've tried all of Arai's shapes, none fit as nice as SHOEI. HJC is close. I currently have an X-9 (older version of the X-11). Its the nicest I've ever had. The RF series had always been the best for me (200, 700, 800, 900) but the X series is even better! Love this lid!

I have an rf900 and actually like my cheap $100.00 helmet better, but I use the rf since it IS actually a better made helmet. I would never buy another one however, they fog easily, are very noisy and whistle a lot if the shield is open at all. Also, they are very short in the face and your lips and nose can touch the front easily.

Johncal

I bought a KBC Racer, but I regret it a bit. It is a good looking helmet and it was a couple hundred less than an Arai - but it has an annoying flaw - the little plastic nib/holder that holds the removable lining in the helmet comes out periodically and then pops out and starts to blow around and bend up behind you as your driving. You notice somethings wrong when your helmet starts buffeting strangely. This has only happened three or four times, but I find it enough to wish I'd got something else. Before riding I double check the plastic nib to make sure its under the ridge on the helmet and this seems to help. The KBC Racer is a good helmet, but not a great helmet.

Back