What is a reasonable price for a one color paint job with clearcoat?

umairhashmi

Registered
I know you get what you pay for but i have seen prices varying from 250 for the whole bike (if you take in the plastics and tank yourself) to as much as 1000. What are the questions you need to ask the paint guy before you trust him with your stuff?

paint is like hong
kong fairings, you get what you pay for...I had a guy who was gonna do mine for less than 1k and with warranty in his work and some pinstriping....but then I found some OEM super black fairings in ebay

I paid $2000.00 for a nice solid color paint job with clear (thats body work on the tank, all plastic taken down / good prep, including the 4 dash pieces sanded down to remove the grain). The big thing you need to ask for and get right when painting plastic is the flex agent without it your paint job wont last long.

250 your crazy... Its about 400 bucks for the cheepest paint, clear and other materials just to start on a bike. To get a quailty paint job your looking around 800-1000 to start. To use high end paint and have a proffesional shop do it that will warrenty the work your looking more than that. Ive seen a lot of bad jobs out there and trust me it cost a whole lot more to repair someone's bad work than just have it done right the first time.

But what do i know, i only do it for a living.

250 your crazy... Its about 400 bucks for the cheepest paint, clear and other materials just to start on a bike. To get a quailty paint job your looking around 800-1000 to start. To use high end paint and have a proffesional shop do it that will warrenty the work your looking more than that. Ive seen a lot of bad jobs out there and trust me it cost a whole lot more to repair someone's bad work than just have it done right the first time.

But what do i know, i only do it for a living.

+1000 I did my owen cause i was to cheap to pay the $1000, and it looks like i did it:whistle::banghead:

Don't get stuck on get what you pay and flex agent bla bla. Go to someone that's familiar with spraying the contours like a bike as well. Imho a total job with no repair work and you taking your parts should be no more than 1k for solids base clear. Tri coat no more than 1500.
Posted via Mobile Device

I had a $500 paint job done, his other work was really nice. Turns out i was getting the friend of a friend discount and it SHOWS!! Plus once it got to be "beer-o'clock" all bets were off. Find a shop with employees, not a dude with a booth. Dont get me wrong, Dudes with booths can do really nice work, but is there a reason they are just a dude with a booth? Also, get a date it will be done, and work out something before hand if its not done. The first painter i went to said "give me a few weeks to finish some other projects", fine with me, i can wait my turn. "Just a few more weeks, then ill do yours" After 3 times, i walked away. Got a similar treatment from the painter I used, not as bad, but still longer than it should have been. 5 weeks to paint a bike?! it was just the peices, i took the fairings off and did some prep myself!! I ended up crashing the bike 8 days after I got it back, so the crap paint job is now without a nose and fender and live in boxes in the basement. Oops, that turned into a rant.

If anything seems wrong, walk away. like others said, at least a $1,000.

You can do what you want on the paint job. But take my word you get what you pay for. Even ask around i know what im talking about :) ive done my own many times done work for several people on the board and have a bunch more lined up when i get back to a paint booth. Just the material that was on my green and white busa was over 800 bucks at my cost.

Ive heard that in the beginning both the nice and crappy paint jobs look okay but after a while the crappy stuff start fading and peeling extremely fast? Because even the 250 dollar guy i saw had pix of the stuff he had done and it looked fairly okay. Now keep in mind this guy does this on the side in his garage.

My bike looks good in pics but like shid to me. A lot of other people say it looks good but I nitpick and want perfection. So if your like me take or send it to someone you can trust and most importantly if you do have a problem because, anyone who paints a lot will eventually, they will stand behind their work.
Posted via Mobile Device

My bike looks good in pics but like shid to me. A lot of other people say it looks good but I nitpick and want perfection. So if your like me take or send it to someone you can trust and most importantly if you do have a problem because, anyone who paints a lot will eventually, they will stand behind their work.
Posted via Mobile Device

Care to post some pix.

Right now my bike has some rash on the left side and i really cant justify shelling out the money on expensive OEM plastics so im thinking a paint job might be my best bet (it has small scratches here and there too). I figure even a somewhat crappy paint job is going to look better than road rash :laugh:

007.jpg

006.jpg

You guys think it would be a good idea for me to just buy prepainted plastics from auctmart?

For 399 it looks pretty decent imo and they guarantee the fit

IMG_4437.jpg

To each his own. Demmym made a thread about hong kong plastics. Some say theiyre decent others can even get them on the bike.

Btw if you wanna see some pics click my name and look up the threads I've started. There's quite a few. All posted in gen2 sections. I would just post or link but I'm on the bb now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back