What (if any) gear do you wear when its 100+ degrees out

all you guys saying you dont ride when it's hot
you guys are something else because that's ALL i want to do is ride. especially when it's hot out because that's when you get to ride half naked and enjoy the breeze. make no sene being all bound up in gear all the time unless you have some enviorment fears like that kid in a plastic bubble

Busa Rookie said:
all you guys saying you dont ride when it's hot
you guys are something else because that's ALL i want to do is ride. especially when it's hot out because that's when you get to ride half naked and enjoy the breeze. make no sene being all bound up in gear all the time unless you have some enviorment fears like that kid in a plastic bubble

Wait till you dump the bike with no gear on. You will change your mind

Wait till you dump the bike with no gear on. You will change your mind

i agree, but i won't be dumb and cause the accident, if i go down it will be an animal/potholes fault/oily roads

but for sure will get up and ride again because that's why you buy a motorcycle. to ride & enjoy the freedom.
those who buy for speed unless theyre racing are fools and actually NEED that gear

Busa Rookie said:
i agree, but i won't be dumb and cause the accident, if i go down it will be an animal/potholes fault/oily roads

but for sure will get up and ride again because that's why you buy a motorcycle. to ride & enjoy the freedom.
those who buy for speed unless theyre racing are fools and actually NEED that gear

Last year I went to meet my lady at the movies. The theater is behind the mall so you have to go through there little parking lot/side street I was going 5-7 MPH leaned over taking a left when this lady pulls out in front of me. When she sees me she slams on her brakes. I panic and grab front brake down I went. I wasnt wearing gloves because it was too hot. I scrapped my left hand bad and my left knee was bleeding. Nice scrap on my helmet where I hit my head on the pavement. Now I wear my full gauntlet gloves where ever I go. I would rather not ride and live so I can ride another day. My buddy at work got hit last month on the highway because a lady did a lane change and didn't see him. He had on cheap mechanic gloves. When he hit the ground his hand got caught between the handle bar and the pavement. Now he is missing half of 3 fingers. 90% of motorcycle accidents aren't the riders fault.

...make no [sense] being all bound up in gear all the time unless you have some enviorment fears like that kid in a plastic bubble

...those who buy for speed unless theyre racing are fools and actually NEED that gear

Does this imply that those who do not buy for speed "actually DO NOT need that gear"?

I'm speechless.

I guess I have some serious environment fears, like that kid in the plastic bubble. I might want to change my screen name to bubble boy.

my buddy wears this and swears by it. Draggin Shirt I might give it a try myself. he says its quite kool even when its really hot out. better then wearing a t-shirt:whistle:

When it's that hot, the air is warmer than your body. So, the less you wear, the more heat transfers from hot air to your body - which is not good. The more you wear, the less heat transfers from hot air to your body. This could be the reason you overheated. Wearing a T-shirt could've made it worse. Having a more relaxed ride also helps.

I did ride recently in a 100+ weather for hours in my full leathers, gloves, and boots - almost 300 miles. I had three bottles of water with me. I stopped in the shade a number of times, drank water (although it was warm), poured on my head and in the helmet. If there was a slightest hint of dry mouth, unusual tiredness, or feeling lightheaded, I would stop for a break right away. After a while, my body adjusted and I was reasonably OK - meaning I was still enjoying the ride, although all sweaty under the leathers. I would not go out riding without full protection - all it takes is one slow speed get off to ruin your body.

I won't be riding without gear. The most breathable garmet I have is a armored mesh First Gear jacket. That is just for running around. For more spirited riding, I will be in a perforated leather jacket. I recently ordered Alpinstars' MX cooling vest. I will let you all know how that works out. :thumbsup:

Full leathers every time my leg goes over the bike... UNLESS I am going less than 10 miles...

Just curious what your logic is for this? Under 10 miles youre sure your safe?

I wear same gear all the time no matter the heat. Lately I've been stopping to soak my shirt every twenty or thirty minutes though. Wet shirt under my mesh jacket feels pretty good actually.

I think the worst part here is the Humidity. . Yesterday or the day before it was 96 degress, but the humidity was 80%. jeeeez. I soaked my shirt in water and put it in my deep freezer for 30 minutes. It worked for quite awhile actually, just gotta get over the part where my whole upper body was numb from the shirt being frozen :laugh:

In the Texas Super Summer (July - August), if I'm riding to work I wear my helmet, gloves, over-the-heel boots and mesh Joe Rocket jacket. The official temps in DFW during Super Summer are often 100+, add traffic and asphalt and they get to 110+ on the way home.

If we riding hard or on a long ride, I wear helmet, gloves, riding boots, mesh jacket and riding pants. The rest of the year I wear my leather jacket.

As our dear friend Don always said, "Sweat washes off, road rash doesn't."

i rode to st. louis for the meet n greet last year from wichita, ks. it was 108 when i left and i wore my leathers and helmet. bought new boots when i got there. i wore a camel back and drank probably 4-6 liters of water. Like someone else said i had to wear my face shield down to keep hot air off of my face. I believe that the leathers make you sweat and mine are perferated real good. this allows the moisture to evaporate slowly and cool me off. It was hot but i rode the 400 miles straight through. didnt stop except for dinner and fuel. I wear a shark rsr2 helmet with great ventillation

The key to riding in Alabama when its blazing hot is to do it early. Our time is between 5 am and noon. Its not so much the heat as it is the humidity. We wear full gear- helmet, gloves, mesh jacket, leather pants and riding boots.

Back