What (if any) gear do you wear when its 100+ degrees out

Jrod86

Registered
Ok im bored, so its about 10:45 here and I'm watching some FIM racing on TV, got me thinking. What gear does everyone wear when its over 100 degrees out? I live Alabama and about a week and a half ago it was 105 to 107 outside. Thats not including heat index. I figured hell I can take a little heat. so it reading 106 outside, I put minimal gear. Helmet, textile pants and jacket, then head out. Well about an hour into my ride I start getting dizzy and feeling very nauseous., I think proceed to make it home and start throwing up. I drank plenty of water and kept an extra bottle with me to pour all over myself when stopped. It was an awful experience to say the least. So again what does everyone else do when its so hot? Not wear a jacket? Just put on a T-Shirt? Just curious to see what everyone thinks.

When it's that hot out, I just don't ride. Screw it, that ain't what I call fun.

I'm going to wear at least a mesh jacket, gloves, boots, and of course, a helmet. If it's so hot that I'm uncomfortable in that amount of gear.. see above statement.:laugh:

always a helmet.....when its hot out ill use the mesh jacket....mesh jacket i got is pretty good with hot and cold weather so i use it pretty much any time i ride the bike.

I ust parked the bike during that heat wave the last two weeks. It got to 108 here, and that is like riding in a furnace, even without gear. I will NOT ride without gear

I ust parked the bike during that heat wave the last two weeks. It got to 108 here, and that is like riding in a furnace, even without gear. I will NOT ride without gear

I agree 100%.

If it is too hot for gear I would take a 4 wheel vehicle (with A/C if possible).

I don't ride the busa much below 50* either, with a windshield it could reach near freezing and that's no fun either.

There is a time and place for most everything and if at the time it's over 99* I say it's the wrong time to ride, and instead drive.............

Last Saturday it was around 103 when I rode to dragstrip in bowling green ky in full leathers. I had to keep the face shield closed to keep the hot air off my face. Sunday I went to the dragstrip at Music City Raceway and spent 10 hours out in 96+ temps.
Just drinking water will run your potasium and other key minerals low resulting in what you described. Just drinking water is bad. Mix sport drinks such as powerade and gatorade 50/50 with water and keep your protien high. I also buy peanuts in the small package .50 packs and will eat one with my drink. This has kept me away from the first stages of heat stroke.

Jrod86 said:
Ok im bored, so its about 10:45 here and I'm watching some FIM racing on TV, got me thinking. What gear does everyone wear when its over 100 degrees out? I live Alabama and about a week and a half ago it was 105 to 107 outside. Thats not including heat index. I figured hell I can take a little heat. so it reading 106 outside, I put minimal gear. Helmet, textile pants and jacket, then head out. Well about an hour into my ride I start getting dizzy and feeling very nauseous., I think proceed to make it home and start throwing up. I drank plenty of water and kept an extra bottle with me to pour all over myself when stopped. It was an awful experience to say the least. So again what does everyone else do when its so hot? Not wear a jacket? Just put on a T-Shirt? Just curious to see what everyone thinks.

What part of Bama are you in?

I'm not a gear Nazi so.....:whistle:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

Unless heading to the local store, always full gear on a ride. Just leave earlier and try to get back before temps reach the 100's, or before Donn starts complaining about needing a drink because he is cramping and about to puke :laugh:

I live in Birmingham, Alabama. I had no idea drinking just water wasnt good. Just learned something. Next time Ill have to fill up my CamelBak with Gatorade and water. Never thought of not riding haha. Maybe ill just put some A/C on my busa :laugh:

I ride to work every day.. in Phoenix AZ. (the commute is bad enough with the drivers here) but i rock a helmet *duh* leather jacket, gauntlets, and those icon jeans with the kevlar in them... .and boots. yeah.. 110*+ and in leather sucks but ive crashed in mesh gear before (joe rocket) and the gloves sperated as well as the jacket just shredded. figured from now on, id rather sweat my ass off then dig hot asphault out of my skin.

I wear everything in top heat.

The secret for me is a mesh jacket and a soaked t-shirt. I'm usually on a trip somewhere when the temps get hot. I stop at a gas station and soak my shirt in the bathroom sink. The mesh combined with the wet shirt makes a superb swamp cooler. It's actually pleasant to ride as long as the shirt stays wet. In extreme heat, the shirt will only stay wet for 30-40 minutes so you sometimes have to stop often. Same for my head, soak your hair and put on your helmet. The helmet-vent airflow over the wet hair is comfortable.

Full leathers every time my leg goes over the bike... UNLESS I am going less than 10 miles...

I wear full gear minus leather pants every day to work. I am actually cooler in my leather.

Sent from my DROIDX using Forum Runner

Unless heading to the local store, always full gear on a ride. Just leave earlier and try to get back before temps reach the 100's, or before Donn starts complaining about needing a drink because he is cramping and about to puke :laugh:

I would have been fine if that b.i.t.c.h. at the first store didnt say "I am sorry no debt card sales unless its $10.00 or more:banghead: so I just laid my peanuts and water down and walked out the store ready to stomp a mudhole in somebody's pooper that pee'd me off

I would have been fine if that b.i.t.c.h. at the first store didnt say "I am sorry no debt card sales unless its $10.00 or more:banghead: so I just laid my peanuts and water down and walked out the store ready to stomp a mudhole in somebody's pooper that pee'd me off
I've been known to buy 2 or 3 lottery tickets to make up the difference sometimes. Been a few occasions where I walked out of the store with my stuff and a few extra $$ too.:laugh:

Back