What Do You Like About Motorcycles

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
So in my search for another bike, I was thinking about just what it is I love about motorcycles. So here are my top things:

1. It seems cars are fighting physics to turn. Leaning into a turn just feels right to me. It feels like you are flying at 3 feet above the ground. That’s a great feeling, can’t get enough.

2. I love the machine-ness of a motorcycle. When I was young (I was never small), I didn’t want to be a racer I wanted to be a mechanic for a racer. I would love to be Lin Jarvis or Gigi Dill’lgna (without the unibrow of course). To this day I love working on the bike as much as riding it and usually when the mods slow down I’m ready for something new. A lot of people what their bikes simple, pure. Me, I want a better mouse trap.

3. I like to ride and just look around. There is something more connected about riding than driving. Pass some flowers and you smell them, pass something else and you smell that too, Lol! Things like knowing how a road changes after rain, or knowing when animals start moving around the area. You just are more aware of things.

What say you?

Your points 2 and 3 perfectly describe me. I wanted to be a mechanic, but ended up going to school to learn about electronics/avionics. No one in my family is mechanically inclined and I remember my dad getting mad at me for wrenching on the vehicles and he used to say: “ you’ll never get that thing put back together properly and get it working”. I always found the way to get it done to proof him wrong. LOL! I don’t know much and have never done an engine rebuild or any big job like that, but I enjoy wrenching and fixing things.

People always ask me why is it that I find it fun to sit on a bike and ride 400 or 500 miles. I always tell them that, as I go down the road, I see everything in slow motion and just enjoy my surroundings and picture what my brakes, suspension and engine are doing. When I think about it, sounds pretty cheesy though. LOL

All those answers are great, and I like Arch's best.
Me, I was just born this way.
My earliest memories from 2 and 3 years old are of seeing and hearing Japanese dirtbikes and streetbikes.
There was never a question or a doubt, I was supposed to ride those things...what are they? lol.
At 12, my Dad showed me how to rebuild a then 10 year old '79 Suzuki TS100, 2-stroke, 4 speed.
Then he showed me how to ride it.
I stalled it once...once, then I took off riding. 28 years later, still riding, and no plans to ever stop.
Hard to explain love sometimes, that's just the way it is.

I was 4 or 5 Years old and my Uncle was taking me to the playground. As we were walking I heard these noises..... we walked past this patch of woods and I seen these 2 dirtbikes. Stood there and watched them zip around heard the exausts and smell of 2 stroke. Didn’t know what the hell the they were but I knew I wanted one!!! Ever since that day I couldn’t shake motorcycle bug. It’s Been 1 of the constants in my life. Anyone that knows me will attest that me and motorcycles are synonymous :race:

I was probably 7 or 8 when i got my first taste. I was in foster care. My foster brother picked me up from school in his 1979 transam and took me out to the farm. He had a dirtbike. Had me hop on with him and he proceded to scare the crap out of me! It was the best day of my life. He stopped the bike in a field got off and set me on the bike alone. Explained everything to me in detail. I rode my first dirtbike then. I got into second gear it was a 250. I could not reach the ground, and hell it was dangerous im sure. I crashed many many times. But he was there everytime to help me pick it up and try again. I have been riding since.

I luv motorcycles , but I especially 'love' this L2 motorcycle :rolleyes:, because she responds positively to my riding moods (swings ) , reacts well when I rev her up , always wears the expensive gifts I buy for her , spends time with me quietly together in the house , never kicks the dog or complain about his hair , lets me throw a leg over anytime ..... okay this is getting a bit ....freaky !!! HA HA:laugh:

image.jpeg
Did someone say Lola?

image.jpeg
View attachment 1577778
Hi. Yes mine was a LOLA t 142 that is a single seat open wheel. I raced it back in the mid 70s.

I bought my supercharged Caddy from Eddie Hill, retired NHRA Top Fuel champion. He owned it after it was used in the movie THX1138. Duvall drove it in the movie but it was painted white then and highly modified with fake jet packs? on the rear deck. Eddie likes open wheel cars too, and at 81 is still successfully competing in the Ariel Atom cars. He likes them so much he is a dealer for them in Wichita Falls TX. Great guy, wife Ercie too. He also raced fuel drag boats and motorcycles. For his 80th birthday Ercie bought him a twin turbo AMG Merc roadster to replace their Sunday go to church car, my new Caddy parked in the rear corner.View attachment 1577778

I bought my supercharged Caddy from Eddie Hill, retired NHRA Top Fuel champion. He owned it after it was used in the movie THX1138. Duvall drove it in the movie but it was painted white then and highly modified with fake jet packs? on the rear deck. Eddie likes open wheel cars too, and at 81 is still successfully competing in the Ariel Atom cars. He likes them so much he is a dealer for them in Wichita Falls TX. Great guy, wife Ercie too. He also raced fuel drag boats and motorcycles. For his 80th birthday Ercie bought him a twin turbo AMG Merc roadster to replace their Sunday go to church car, my new Caddy parked in the rear corner.

Now that's how you "retire"!

View attachment 1577779 View attachment 1577778

I bought my supercharged Caddy from Eddie Hill, retired NHRA Top Fuel champion. He owned it after it was used in the movie THX1138. Duvall drove it in the movie but it was painted white then and highly modified with fake jet packs? on the rear deck. Eddie likes open wheel cars too, and at 81 is still successfully competing in the Ariel Atom cars. He likes them so much he is a dealer for them in Wichita Falls TX. Great guy, wife Ercie too. He also raced fuel drag boats and motorcycles. For his 80th birthday Ercie bought him a twin turbo AMG Merc roadster to replace their Sunday go to church car, my new Caddy parked in the rear corner.View attachment 1577778

Ummmm, I want that Ford GT40!!!

My bike gives me peace and relaxes my mind from everyday girnd and sometimes family, and I can feel my surroundings and the road, just puts me in touch and gives me something to wrench on as I love to wrench on stuff! Pretty much what Arch said...

Fast as hell and affordable! Most of us could own at least 2 or three.

all the things you mentioned appeal to me, fallenarch. I love the physical interaction with the bike while riding it. You don't get that in a car.
...nothing against fast cars. I'd take two or three of them if I could. I wouldn't give up the bikes to do that though.

Back