What do they teach in MSF?

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Never did the course of somethng similar.

Do they teach you how to fall, or what to do when you are about to crash?

The reason for the question is, after two bad crashes long time ago, falling off dirt bikes more times than I can remember and crashing at least 4 times a season in competitive cycling (the ones you pedal) I have never suffered a serious injury.

Every time I read a crash report here, I wonder when my turn comes. Half of the reports come with bad injuries.

My worst was a head-on at 65mph, didn't even get time to hit the brakes and I walked away with a scratched up helmet and a totalled bike.

Could all the injuries have something to do with the Busa's weight and the lean forward position we sit in?

MSF hits on basic riding skills. More of avoidance rather than when it happens.

+1 They teach avoidance over how to deal with a crash.

The MSF course is where I started riding and I genuinely feel like they entrenched some ideas at the very outset that will serve me well for as long as I ride.

Well there are different levels of MSF, but yes the basic is just that.

Corner speed has some great courses at VIR (Cornerspeed Motorcycle Roadcourse Instruction) depending on how dedicated you are to learning it may be worth the trip.

There is no better way to prepare for a crash than pushing your bike at a track.

In Oklahoma, they have the beginners MSF course and they have an advanced course that you ride your own bike on. I have not take the advanced, but would like to.

highly recommend the MSF course (Basic, ERC, etc.)...lost count how many times the lessons helped me ESCAPE/AVOID a spill.

they teach basic accident avoidance....

things to watch out for while on the road.

also they will run you thru a slow speed training program designed to teach bike control, throttle control and how to use the brakes...at a slow safe speed.

when i went there were several "canyon riders" that had hard time, one even went down....because they did not want to listen to the instructors...

I took the Advanced Riders Course - Sportbike Techniques (ARC-ST) last week and learned quite a bit. Plan on taking the Experienced Riders Course (ERC) just for grins sometime in the near future.

While you are bound to learn something from any riding class I'd suggest throwing in a track school as well. You won't learn much about corner carving, high speed braking and throttle control in a parking lot but you'll gain lots of first hand experience during an all day track event!

control and handling. great course, often think about taking the advanced one also. Looking forward to going to the track though to learn better handling and fix my imperfection.

While you are bound to learn something from any riding class I'd suggest throwing in a track school as well. You won't learn much about corner carving, high speed braking and throttle control in a parking lot but you'll gain lots of first hand experience during an all day track event!

I plan to do that too, but I believe the principles taught in each succeeding level course can help on the track.

funny thing is.....90% of the class were "experienced" riders that were trying to get a discount on thier insurance...

they all thought they knew how to ride.....but most had problems at one point or another.

one of the guys that went down was bragging about how fast he was in the canyons....it was a bit of poetic justice.

Now in Florida it's a requirement to get your license and the cheapest one I could find was $200. I had to take it cuz after my accident on ZX11 my stamp lapsed.
They taught us nothing , repeat nothing but how to do figure 8s in the pouring down rain on a gs250 ! Now my class had 8 people in it , all with experience but needing same just a stamp to be legal and in order to get that we had to take it . Did we dodge a few cones yes again in the pouring down rain . Did we take a written test that asked common sense questions a dog with a pencil could have answered ? Yes .
Did I learn anything ? Yes . I can't ride a gs250 worth a darn cuz it was first cruiser in 30yrs of riding I ever rode . Every time I went for the footpegs I missed them cuz they were forward and not straight down :) . I can do a tighter figure 8 on my 500lb busa than I could on a 200lb gs250 . And again this was all in the pouring down rain in a church parking lot . Simply just a private business making money is all I thought about it .
I'm sure other companies and other cities and other states may be better but here I think its just a revenue builder !
For someone with zero to no exp yes they would have learned quite a bit and maybe that's why the just ran us thru and collected the money ? I don't know but we did very little maneuvers or braking or anything other than circles in the parking lot as well as figure 8s . Again all in pouring down Florida rain . They said only if they see lightning would they stop .

Last edited:
The military has an MSF run advanced sport bike riders course. its nice and helps you learn to control your bike. Just teaches you to learn your bike. Has helped me alot

Willem - I'm taking the Class in Durham next Friday 6/11-13. Come on down!

I figure I'm going to learn something new (I hope) plus my friend who is new to riding is taking it too. And my daughter :thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks for the invite, won't get off work though on Friday.

Enjoy the course.

Back