What could this problem bee? Little fuel filter bug

Narcissus

Hayabusa Immortal
Registered
Bike was not starting at all, so I decided to check the filter. I did the fuel-filter bypass mod (switched to the internal pump setup on my 99) and the tank had rust issues, so I figured some rust was clogging the filter.

Opened it up, checked... nothing. Put everything back and realized I forgot to replace the filter spring. :banghead: Opened it up again and saw the other side of the filter, what you see in the picture.

This filter had been in a box for years after I switched tanks/pumps from the original external fuel pump. This wasp probably crawled in to find a nesting spot and couldn't get out.... sometime between last year and about fifteen years ago.

Got it back together and after about five or six rounds of trying to start, it finally fired up. Was rough from the oil draining from the top since it hasn't been run in almost six years.

Kind of depressing that this bike passed 21 years but only has a hair over 49K on the odometer. :(

Hope to get it on the road again soon so I can catch up. Still a lot of things to replace and recondition (old seals, suspension, etc.), but at least knowing it fires up, I won't keep walking past it and pushing off work for another day. :)

IMG_20190730_195307786.jpg

Back