inline fuel filter mod

Santos9899

Registered
so i decided to replace the fuel filter in my 2000 busa and man the parts cost alone was close to 100.00 I can only imagine what the dealer cost would be to include labor...

so i decided to do a fuel filter mod. i know there was a thread on here but no pictures. so i decided to make one..

to constantly change the fuel filter on the 99-2000 can be a real chore..and if you are like me i dont like chores..hopefully with this mod doing this chore will pay off in the long run..

what you will need..
5/16th fuel hose
hose clamps for fuel injected engines.
new seals and o-rings for fuel pump
inline fuel filter
large hose clamp
self taping screw
time and patience....

instructions

1. disconnect the battery prop the tank up and drain the fuel tank

2. disconnect the fuel hoses and the fuel sending unit connector

3. with the seat removed and fuel hoses no longer connected you can now prop up the tank fully untill it rest on the rear hump.

4. remove the air box.

5. unbolt the fuel pump bracket and remove the fuel pump.
IMG_3526.jpg

6. tear down the fuel pump..(refer to the manual for further instructions) its pretty straight forward.
IMG_3530.jpg

7. remove the fuel pump, and plastic piece with the pre filter screen. clean out the screen.

8. remove the fuel filter.. and spring..no longer needed

9. replace all o-rings and seals and re-assemble the pump. and set it aside..
IMG_3529.jpg

10. remove the fuel rail piece where it used to connect to the fuel pump..if you pop it loose you can turn the t-fitting and point it toward the rear of the bike. this will make it easier to reconnect the fuel line..
IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3535.jpg

11. on the right side bracket of the fuel pump is where i mounted my inline fuel filter.
IMG_3542.jpg

12. pre drill the bracket and hose clamp..then screw the hose clamp on with the self tapping screw.
IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3544.jpg

13. mount the fuel filter. and re-route the houses.
IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg

14. re-assemble the bike and connect all the hoses and plugs.

15. with the ignition on and engine off test for fuel leaks..

hopefully this helps someone....

I have a 2000 and did the fuel filter mod and now the 3 seconds the pump runs when you turn the key on is not enough to fully pressurize the extra volume. I can turn the key on and off 4x and it will start like it used to but if I let the bike set over 3 hours when I start it it is like it is out of gas till it finally get primed and pressured up. Any suggestions.

Santos how did you squeeze that plastic piece with the oring back into the chamber where the filter and spring used to be. I can't get mine to pop back in.

so i decided to replace the fuel filter in my 2000 busa and man the parts cost alone was close to 100.00 I can only imagine what the dealer cost would be to include labor...

so i decided to do a fuel filter mod. i know there was a thread on here but no pictures. so i decided to make one..

to constantly change the fuel filter on the 99-2000 can be a real chore..and if you are like me i dont like chores..hopefully with this mod doing this chore will pay off in the long run..

what you will need..
5/16th fuel hose
hose clamps for fuel injected engines.
new seals and o-rings for fuel pump
inline fuel filter
large hose clamp
self taping screw
time and patience....

instructions

1. disconnect the battery prop the tank up and drain the fuel tank

2. disconnect the fuel hoses and the fuel sending unit connector

3. with the seat removed and fuel hoses no longer connected you can now prop up the tank fully untill it rest on the rear hump.

4. remove the air box.

5. unbolt the fuel pump bracket and remove the fuel pump.
View attachment 1532777
6. tear down the fuel pump..(refer to the manual for further instructions) its pretty straight forward.
View attachment 1532778

7. remove the fuel pump, and plastic piece with the pre filter screen. clean out the screen.

8. remove the fuel filter.. and spring..no longer needed

9. replace all o-rings and seals and re-assemble the pump. and set it aside..
View attachment 1532779

10. remove the fuel rail piece where it used to connect to the fuel pump..if you pop it loose you can turn the t-fitting and point it toward the rear of the bike. this will make it easier to reconnect the fuel line..
View attachment 1532780
View attachment 1532781

11. on the right side bracket of the fuel pump is where i mounted my inline fuel filter.
View attachment 1532782

12. pre drill the bracket and hose clamp..then screw the hose clamp on with the self tapping screw.
View attachment 1532783
View attachment 1532784

13. mount the fuel filter. and re-route the houses.
View attachment 1532785
View attachment 1532786

14. re-assemble the bike and connect all the hoses and plugs.

15. with the ignition on and engine off test for fuel leaks..

hopefully this helps someone....
Excellent detailed mod...thanks !

I have a 2000 and did the fuel filter mod and now the 3 seconds the pump runs when you turn the key on is not enough to fully pressurize the extra volume. I can turn the key on and off 4x and it will start like it used to but if I let the bike set over 3 hours when I start it it is like it is out of gas till it finally get primed and pressured up. Any suggestions.
You need to use a High Pressure fuel filter. One with a minimum 40psi.

Back