what am i doing wrong

stevenbusa

Registered
I have an 03 busa with 23k on it i have rs3 slip ons pc3 lowered two inches front and back and -1 front sprocket. my bike hesistates at 9k in second gear only when i race on the track never had it do it on the streets. also my time seems pretty slow from looking at others time. where am i going wrong. this is only my 5th time ever racing at the track. any advice would be awesome. and i am about 260 suited

60ft 1.8560
330ft 4.7702
1/8 et 7.1149
1/8 mph 104.12
1000 et 9.0895
1000 mph 119.81
1/4 et 10.8779
1/4 mph 128.53

60' needs to be quicker, and your mph is way low. If you are 260 you need more gear for sure. Practice will drop your 60' time, I don't know what's going on with your mph. Describe the hesitation.....

Mr Brown is spot on. Mph should be in the mid 130s unless you are racing at 10000' elevation.

2nd gear issue kind of scares me. It may be sliding out and back in due to a bent fork or the damage to the gears.

it just hesitates a little its hard to describe. it isn't horrible its just something i have noticed. and u think i should go up in the rear? and im in phx az its usually about 70 degrees at night right now. stock gearing i was hitting 133 but at like 11.2 or so with slow 60's like 2.5. i have to hit 4 about 20 feet from the finish line.

Did u have your bike tuned with the pcIII or just the generic map u, or someone downloaded? I would almost bet you some money once you got that bike a custom tune you would see a difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

A tune wouldn't help much until you get a full exhaust. You need to be up at least one on the back, probably two. I'm about the same weight as you, was -1/+4 on a 6" swingarm.
The 60' times will drop also with more gear, and you will be shifting a lot sooner than you were.
Try and describe the hesitation. Is it a motor hiccup? Does the tach move? Does the clutch slip?

9K, hard on the throttle? Does it feel like the chain is slipping/jumping? If so, get ready to drop the motor and change the 2nd gear and the shift fork.

its like it thinks it hits redline then realizes it didn't. its just a little jerk then goes. do u think 2 up in the back will give me more top speed i know my 60 needs to be lower but from what i seen even a 60 at 1.8 is way faster then what i run. i would describe it as a hiccup only because i haven't noticed a clutch problem and the tac hits 9k then after it hiccups it runs to red line fine.

Last edited:
2 up will get you moving quicker. You will shift more and your trap speed should be quicker. The overall top speed of the bike will be decreased, but that's the price you gotta pay for quicker acceleration. a good 60' time will give you a good ET, mph is an indicator of what kind of power the bike is making. Yours is not making what it should.
I don't know why it's hesitating, could be any of the above mentioned issues. Any way you can get a pass on video and post it?

Your losing 2nd gear. No doubt about it. It will get worse. Spend your money fixing that first. I replaced the gear and fork with OEM parts. Some people get the whole tranny undercut.

i am sure i can get a video next time i go out. but my buddys watching me race say they can't even hear or notice the bike jerking. i think ill just have to pull the tranny and see whats going on. I think i am going to go ahead and run 2 up in the rear and see if my top speed goes up. i just thought about it i did notice that when i was burning out in second gear i heard a little grind like the clutch grabbed. I also never had it jerk when i burn out in second even over 9k. don't know if that helps. Sorry for the dumb questions im only 20 and this is my second bike and my first race bike. i still have alot to learn.

Last edited:
Stevebusa

The problem you are having sounds like the same issue my partner had. His second gear was going out. It only does it when you are getting down on it hard, and it's a kind of jurking feeling and goes away when you go into third. He had his tranny rebuilt and solved that problem. Now with you being 260 you need more gear. Stock Gen I Busa are 17/40, I would suggest atleast going up to 43. My friends 06 Busa is set up at 1 under in the front and 3 up in the back. I'm 240 suited and I went 10.25 on his. Last thing get rid of that stock exhaust. Hope this helps you out.

No need to apologize, only reason any of us know anything about this stuff is from asking questions! :thumbsup:

Im pretty sure its 2nd gear too. You can send the second gear to Chuck and he will exchange it for a stronger one for a cheap price. I wouldnt repair it with OEM parts. The second gear is weak from the factory. Before you do all that, check the simple things like adjusting the slack in the chain and lubing it. Also check to see if you are missing teeth on the front or rear sprocket. All of these will give the same symtoms of the trans going bad. Its not a matter if the 2nd gear is going out.....its a matter of when its going out. Secong gear is weak in the busa.

ok so who is chuck? lol and my chain and sprockets are fine they are pretty new and i always adjust it and lube it every 500 miles. i have had two friends break there chains so im always careful with that. and am i going to have to order any other parts like a shift fork? i kind of want to get a jump on parts to have less down time.

You could do what I did. Buy a spare transmission and send it off to have it all checked and worked. Buy a set of billet shift rods.

Then when you need it, it is ready. I never had any problems with my original, but I knew it was pretty common. I had over a 1000 passes on them. I swapped when I had the motor apart a couple of years ago.

Chuck wilburn from Tupelo, MS. He has a 2nd gear exchange for cheap. Get the shift shafts as well. If you have the extra money, get the HD output shaft as well. Its kinda expensive though.

is he a sponsor of the web site? and i don't plan to do much to the bike besides full exhuast and maybe cams not sure. i would like to run the stock class at my track.

Back