What all do I need to change to use a gen 1 swingarm on a gen 2?

Joshmc628

Registered
Found an extended swingarm from a Gen 1 busa and I just got it on. This is my first time swapping a swingarm ever and right now its not looking like it will work properly. It looks like rear wheel spacing is off because of the rear brake hanger. Will I have to change out for gen 1 calipers and the brake hanger? gen 1 rotors too? Currently the rear brake has abs. I dont care at all for rear abs but i don't want to lose my back brakes completely. Whats the minimum I need to make this work?
69920819_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.cdninstagram.jpg

Last edited:
Normally only the rear brake and the link bearings need to be swapped but it looks like you didnt have that issue? Maybe because its an aftermarket arm? Did your Gen 2 caliper bolt right on? Did it have a notch for your Gen 2 caliper or did you have to fabricate it? You shouldn't have to swap anything else.

Normally only the rear brake and the link bearings need to be swapped but it looks like you didnt have that issue? Maybe because its an aftermarket arm? Did your Gen 2 caliper bolt right on? Did it have a notch for your Gen 2 caliper or did you have to fabricate it? You shouldn't have to swap anything else.
Currently it’s not rideable I just kind of have everything mounted. I took my gen 2 links and put on here and didn’t have a problem with that(they’re custom links so probably interchangeable). There isn’t a notch for my rear brake caliper which is throwing everything off so would I have to get gen 1 calipers too? Would that mean gen 1 rotors and everything?

Currently it’s not rideable I just kind of have everything mounted. I took my gen 2 links and put on here and didn’t have a problem with that(they’re custom links so probably interchangeable). There isn’t a notch for my rear brake caliper which is throwing everything off so would I have to get gen 1 calipers too? Would that mean gen 1 rotors and everything?
Gen 1 caliper is what you'll need unless someone else knows a way. I dont know what your timeline is but you could likely sell that arm and buy one for a gen 2 break even, bolt right up and avoid the headache.

It bolts right on. The only difference is you’ll need to swap the bearings out where the dog bones attach. I have a gen 1 arm on Lucy.
View attachment 1620798
You can use the Gen1 inner spacer on the dog bone bolt/bearing.
A stretched aftermarket arm is the same gen 1 to 2 except sometimes the arm will have the mount for the gen 1 brake stay on the bottom. It is hard to see but my gen2 has the gen1 stay mount.

55F5BD89-19BF-4811-9112-1D2F179D24D9.png

Back