What a way to start a day

chrisjp

GM of Haya's in the Hills
Donating Member
Registered
i get up and head to work and mind you its 530 am its my 2nd day on first shift (confused yet) and man am i sooo not used to this yet....so i start the bike and all goes dark....my headlight burnt out...i swapped my stock for a silverstar (yes much brighter) and it burnt out already not even 2 months of use...so i go back in side looking for a flashlight......damn kids....so then i have to run extension cord to garage (no lights or power ran to it yet) and i hunt for the stock bulb...lucky for me i caught it...now i am running way late...was going to bike night for the first time all summer since i was on second i could never go and then this happens....at lunch at work i quickly change out the silverstar and replace with the stock.....running in FOG with nothing but high beam to see with and late for work....what a great way to start the day lol

Bummer
sad.gif

I ran Silverstars in my Jeep for about 3 months before they went belly-up. Not worth the price/performance/longevity - so....when I wanted to upgrade the Very Super Sad Busa OEM headlight setup - silverstars were only an option for about 30 seconds as I found a deal at fleetfarm on them, and I thought to myself....self....remember the Jeep Incident
sad.gif
So, to make a long story short HID was the only solution and now Im very happy and often wave to all Harley Riders, and encourage others to do the Grab-bar-hump-mod, as I have new found confidence in myself because life has become over illuminated thanks to HID. Im sorry FleetFarm, I love you, but I couldnt do the silverstar deal...but I will continue to buy my puppy treats from you as the doggie really enjoys them, and he has super nice teeth.....Err....I forgot to mention Im on Overnight rotations this week...lol
tounge.gif

sad.gif

So the Silverstars are junk? I was thinking about getting a set but don't know , now.
rock.gif
guess Walmart got ahold of 'em and cheaped 'em out.

Did you clean with alcohol before installing? No fingers on bulb? Etc.?
sad.gif

So the Silverstars are junk? I was thinking about getting a set but don't know , now.
rock.gif
 guess Walmart got ahold of 'em and cheaped 'em out.

Did you clean with alcohol before installing? No fingers on bulb? Etc.?  
sad.gif
I've been running my SS (high beam) since April and no problems. I ride w/ HB on all the time. As w/ anything there are going to be good reports and bad reports.

Take it for what it's worth. My SS cost $20. For me, that's not bad if they wound up lasting for only a few months considering the difference I see between them and the stock bulbs.

Didn't clean it before usage but I didn't put my fingers on it either.

wore rubber gloves when i installed...and paid 20 for them....my lesson learned

My silverstar went out too at about 6 months. Put another one in though, well worth the 20 bucks.

Just give up the silverstars altogether and go with a HID kit. You won't be sorry.

I have had the silver stars for 3 months now and knock on wood so far so good. I had no idea they didn't last?? I will probably switch to the HID when these burn out. Tomorrow get up on the other side of your bed and see if that helps.

the shop I work for sells after market lights you know the ones with the blue tint there all junk and we carry three differnt brands but they never hold up like the factory we have to replace them all the time
sad.gif

I put a lockhardt phillips bulb in and it lasted 2 weeks. It was the best bulb I have ever had. I have a silverstar in right now and it is nice, but doesn't shine out as far as the lockhardt did. The lockhardt also had a slight blue tint to it.

theres the possibility of the highest quality bulb to have a bad one. I'm running street glow bulbs in my busa(3 months), civic(4 years), and tahoe(1 year) and never had a problem. Buddy of mine same h4's and one died after 1 week. He changed it and has never had aproblem since. 2 years ago. I'm sure the silver stars can have the same problem. I love those Street Glows, they are damn bright white light. H4 & 9007's

HID on the primary light ....Silverstar in the high beam .....never had an issue in the past 12 + months.
I run my high beam during daylight hours continuously....it's never blinked.

Back