Silverstar Ultra Bulbs.....

Kat99

Registered
Finally tired out the bulbs. GOt them from Canadian tire for about 55 bucks. I have to say they are alot brighter and I can see so much further now. Next step , HID's.

Silverstar ultra's ( H4).

Before_front.jpg

After_Front.jpg

before_wall.jpg

after_wall.jpg

The Silver Star bulbs are brighter, and only last 12 to 18 months before you need to replace them. HID's are designed to last much longer.

The Silver Star bulbs are brighter, and only last 12 to 18 months before you need to replace them. HID's are designed to last much longer.

12 months is a long time. I only got 6 months in my car. I wish they would have lasted a full year because they are far better then standard halogen bulbs.

Had the Silverstars in my Colorado for about 2 years now, much brighter then stock, would buy them again in a heartbeat

I have heard of them not lasting long but I have had good luck with them

I've had Silverstar Ultras in my truck for about a year now. Maybe I'm almost due for a new set? Oh well, they're nice so I'll buy them again...

I've had a regular Silverstar in my Busa for about a year now. Was going through a PIAA Extreme White about every 6 months on the low beam (starting the 3rd year on the PIAA high beam bulb). $20 for the Silverstar every year or so sure beats $50 twice a year for PIAAs.

Are you guys serious about the life expectancy of these Silverstar bulbs? I was thinking about getting some as soon as one of my original Nissan bulbs burn out (over 8 yrs now) but if the life is that short I will have to think again.???

Are you guys serious about the life expectancy of these Silverstar bulbs? I was thinking about getting some as soon as one of my original Nissan bulbs burn out (over 8 yrs now) but if the life is that short I will have to think again.???

They'll last longer in a car than a bike, lot less vibration.

As a rule with normal (non HID) light bulbs, the brighter they are, the shorter their lifespan.
Those PIAAs I had would turn the night into day, at the cost of a 6 month lifespan.

I put some in my ex-wife's car, before she was my ex, and they lasted maybe 14 months. I don't think the vibration of the bulb is the problem.

You are handling the bulbs with nitrile gloves on right? If you touch the bulb with a bare hand/finger it will shorten life expectancy greatly. The ultra's in my car have lasted quite a long time; can't remember how long but it's over 12 months.

You are handling the bulbs with nitrile gloves on right? If you touch the bulb with a bare hand/finger it will shorten life expectancy greatly. The ultra's in my car have lasted quite a long time; can't remember how long but it's over 12 months.

Didn't use nitrile gloves, but cleaned them with alcohol and only handled with a cotton rag. No bare skin contact. Filiment(sp?) just broke, clean, like it had been cut with a razor blade. Both went the same exact way.
Who knows? I still think the vibration of the bike vs a car has a lot to do with it. Roads around here are far from being glass smooth. Can see hits and vibration in the light beam. Waaay more than even on my stiff sprung little Mitsubishi pickup.

Good advice, but cotton "inspection" grade gloves are far better. Nitrile gloves use either corn starch or another non-stick coating like dimethylpolysiloxane to keep them from sticking together. Either of these will cause devitrification, and cause the bulbs to fail prematurely. I learned that the hard way, and was severely reprimanded :laugh: by both a German, and a Japanese engineer on two separate occasions.

Paper towels have always worked well for me. It's all about preventing oil from your skin from getting on the glass, isn't it?

I don't touch the bulbs. If I think I did, I wipe the bulb with a lint-free cloth and denatured alcohol. I let it dry for a few hours before using it.

Back