Well/Pump pros...

mjn

Hillbilly Deluxe
Donating Member
Registered
Today was an ugly day. I had planned on going riding. Unfortunatley, it was not to be...

4 days ago, the water pressure in our house system went flat. Dam near nothing....

I called the outfit that replaced our entire system a mere 5 years ago (for 2 grand).

Long story short...the galvanized pipe they used....in five years.... developed several holes. The pump could not keep up.

The yarded out all 130 feet of pipe, with the pump on the end....and replaced the pipe with schedule 120 PVC and SS couplers. They put it back in the hole.

It ran for a total of about five minutes and died. Again, to shorten the story...they found that the pump was bad as well. A five year old Grund..something pump. Supposed to be the very best. It is toast.

So here I am....five years down the road...staring down the barrel of a huge bill once again...I am pissed. Yea, the pump works great now....hell, it should, it is brand freakin new again!!!

Any advice??

Dis they tell ya what was wrong with the pump
rock.gif

^^ no....other than it didn't work...I was there. It didn't. The new one works great.

The comments were that possibly it had burned itself out trying to keep the pressure up with the holes in the pipe...and that it must have run constantly..
But I remember, they told me five yrs ago, what wears them out is on-off-on-off etc...
And why the he!! did the pipe get holes in it so quickly??? Jeez..I counted on them to be the professionals.. Invested a chunck of change with them.. Wouldn't you think they'd know that the galvanized pipe would potentially deteriorate in a short period of time??

Now they are ... " we use PVC now....the galvanized just doesn't hold up..."

Crap. Nice of you to learn this NOW! Why the hell didn't you know that 5 yrs ago??

If you run irrigation you should set it up to stay on v. off-on-off constantly, but under normal conditions you wouldn't want your pump running 24/7, talk about hot water. You might be good for a while now with the new pipe. My casing and pipe are PVC. No problems for the last tweenty years.
super.gif

Sucks fer sure bud
sad.gif
was it the same company as the first time? Any warranty and or a discount because they had to redo it?

Grundfos Pumps are hella good pumps. They are designed and produced in Denmark. Do NOT let them keep the old pump! It can be rebuilt for a song and used as a back up if/when this one dies. If they took it, call them and tell them you want it back. Call Grundfos, there may be a warranty on it or at least a rebuild available at a local repair shop. OR fix it and sell it to recoup some of your money
The galvanizing used today is not galvanizing anymore thanks to tree huggers and environmentalists with more power than education and common sense. PVC pipe will hold up better for you.

(BA BUSA @ May 16 2007,11:05) Sucks fer sure bud
sad.gif
was it the same company as the first time? Any warranty and or a discount because they had to redo it?
yea, same company..

As far as a discount goes...I have not recieved the bill yet. I definitely plan on working that angle for sure..

(MoosesBusa @ May 16 2007,11:52) Grundfos Pumps are hella good pumps. They are designed and produced in Denmark. Do NOT let them keep the old pump! It can be rebuilt for a song and used as a back up if/when this one dies. If they took it, call them and tell them you want it back. Call Grundfos, there may be a warranty on it or at least a rebuild available at a local repair shop. OR fix it and sell it to recoup some of your money
 The galvanizing used today is not galvanizing anymore thanks to tree huggers and environmentalists with more power than education and common sense. PVC pipe will hold up better for you.
They left me the "old" pump. I just don't understand why the "best pump" available goes south in five years..

By the way, the ONLY thing the well water is used for is the house. I don't use it for irrigation at all...got a pond and a 7.5 hp above ground pump for that..

Back