fuel pump shot....gas tank needs replacing-list keep growing, need direction??

BigDiesel

Registered
Hello everyone, I have a dilemma with my 2003 Busa and was hoping the board could shed some light on my predicament:please:

I had my bike in storage for several years, and just recently sent to my local 'Zuki Dealer for repair after hearing good things about their reputation. The Shop called last week to notify me that there was gas in the tank and it gummed up the fuel pump (guess i didnt get it all out:( o, well) so instead of just bending me over for OEM replacement (which we all know is $800+ at any dealer) they called and gave me option to bring in a used pump that they would install:thumbsup:

My dilemma now continues to grow from there--wife wants the bike's custom paintjob covered or replaced...skipping a long convo, I'm now debating replacing the entire tank (if i can source a used unit w/fuel pump incl?), and also the rest of the body panels, as in, Swap every plastic body panel off, and replace with another part.....now I'm wondering how hard it would be (i.e:how much $$$$ it will cost?) to change my bike's bodywork over to 2008 panels, with a 2008 tank?

this raises a bunch of questions in my head regarding fitment, fuel pump control, mounting points, etc....has anybody else been crazy enough to tackle this already, or should I just order a set of Gen 1 panels with my tank and get this bike back on the road?

My goal is to get the bike back on the Drag Strip, so I dont want to eat up funds on body mods unless it's going to look like OEM when Im done....kinda picky about the fitment just fyi Im not a fan of the zip-tie/duct tape look:moon: If there's a thread about this here somewhere i'd love a link, tried searching but no luck...

The gen2 swap over is very expensive. You would literally have to have all the lights and the front faring stay and a subframe. Would be a lot cheaper to just buy another gas tank for your bike. However I would just buy a used fuel pump off of eBay for a 2008 and up and splice the connector. I have seen used fuel pumps on there for $100 and up. I have changed over many a Gen1 to the newer pump with ease.

Bosch fuel pump #69420

I have an 03 Busa so I can vouch that it fits cause that's what's in my busa right now

Long time brotha. Why does she want the paintwork covered?

I live in a much more....conservative area now, and because of my job she's more publicly visible so she'd prefer the paint covered to reduce the number of awkward questions n situations for her. I don't blame her, paint is a bit over the top n we're in our 30's now, not our 20's; we can afford to be a lil more grown-up now.

Ever heard of Plasti-Dip? A few cans and a few hours and you could cover up the art work you have on it.
It would peel off when you are ready to repaint or whatever.

This is a temporary solution if you didn't have the funds to redo everything right now and you could get on the road
with just a new fuel pump, and still keep the wife happy.
If you have the funds, then scratch the above idea and go for new plastics. But even that will take longer to find
good quality parts if you are not willing to settle for made in china stuff - your call.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out. Hope you can get on the road soon, as July is almost half over and
living in MI the season is short enough.....

I understand. We all calm down at some point in our lives.

You can inbox me and I will square you away any direction you want to go. I have tanks in stock and plastics also...

I just did my fuel pump for 40 bucks it included the strainer and mesh filter not a whole lot to worry about on that job

tell your wife that the bike is beautiful , sorry you have to cover it but I understand.

hey stranger :thumbsup: glad to hear you're getting back on the bike! hope both of you are doing great :beerchug:

Back