weird sound from clutch piston.

shogun

Registered
hey guys, ok so a few weeks ago my sprocket cover was off, pressed the clutch lever, liquid pured everywhere, piston came out, and yesterday i was in the process of bleeding the clutch.Im bleeding it for what seems and eternity by now and i finally start to feel resistance in the lever. I notice i can hear a slight 'squishy' sound coming from the piston everytime the clutch lever gets to the bottom of its travel. so i think its nothing and keep on bleeding, but the more i bleed the more air bubbles i see coming through my transparent line. is is possible that the piston seal is bad and that squishy sound is the piston sucking in air as i press/release the clutch? this would only make sense to me because the more u bleed the line you should have less and less air bubbles, but in my case they dont seem to go away and now im thinking that squishy sound when i press in the clutch all the way and release is air being pulled into the system. any help or thoughts is appreciated guys, as usual:)

Sounds like you still have some air in there...if the seal was bad and some air was being sucked back into the system...brake fluid would also be leaking out :thumbsup:

ahh yea thats what i though.and the only way to get rid of this air is to keeeeep on bleeding right? any tips. thanks bro

looks good. i cant buy that right now though cant i just do it the old school pump pump lever way?

take a small hose and connect it to the bleeder screw.. run it down to a small cup and start filling the top reservoir, it helps to have the end of the hose under submerged in the old fluid...(do not pump lever) the hose will start a slight suction and speed the process up a bit.. the clutch line is way long so takes quite a bit of fluid..

after you run about 3 ounces or so, close the bleeder and pump the lever a few times and then open the bleeder again and let it run..

you may need to repeat this 2 or 3 times, just do not pump the lever with the bleeder cranked open.. gravity is your friend (also will not aerate the fluid)

Last edited:
You could have air leaking in from the threads on the bleeder screw... Pull the bleeder screw out and put some disc brake grease on the threads. This will help seal them...

ok i guess i'll keep doing what ive been doing then. Ill have to buy anothr bottle of DOT4. It seems like ive been doing it forever especially since my hand went numb from pumping the lever but ill keep at it eheh. does it make a difference how long i leave the bleeder screw open for?

pumping the thing can make the fluid foam and you never get the air out... is why I like the gravity thing..

yea i feel what your are describing with the pumping bogus is exactly whats happening maybe i am pumping way too much before i crack open the screw. sorry what gravity thing are you talking about?

Could be harmful to the clutch or trans if your clutch does not completely disengage.

ok gotchya. i know u were saying mightyvac, but if i keep pumping and cracking the screw open as i have been doing i can eventually chase the bubbles outta there right?

He was talking about putting a small rubber hose on the bleeder screw and placing the end of the hose in a drain pan...then open the bleeder and let the fluid from the master drain down and force the air out of the system. Just fill up the reservoir and check on it from time to time.

oh alright. yea well dont u have to put a hose on it anyway unless u wanna spray dot4 all over the place. i have a clear tube about 2 feet long going from my bleeder screw into a drain pan.

oh alright. yea well dont u have to put a hose on it anyway unless u wanna spray dot4 all over the place. i have a clear tube about 2 feet long going from my bleeder screw into a drain pan.

Just leave the screw open and keep the clutch master full.

Back