Weird problem

busa_boy_69

Registered
Alright heres whats going on. I noticed a couple weeks ago that everyonce and a while now my bike is making one popping sound that is very similiar to the clunk sound you hear when you shift gears that seems to be coming from the area right below the airbox. When it makes the sound I can feel the popping sensation in the handlebars. It does it at all different times......when its rolling, when its just idling, it makes no difference. Its only one pop and it never does it in rythm it might do it once and then it may not do it again for 5 minutes. The bike is not running the slightest bit funny or lagging in performance. I am just worried about this because I don;'t even know where to begin trouble shooting this or what could be causing it. I just want to trouble shoot the issue before it IS a major issue. I KNOW this noise was never there before. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys.

BB69

Sounds like a ignition *PING*

Did you change fuel types / brands recently?
You know what I sure did. I read a lot of posts on here about using lower grade fuel and getting better performance so I started running 89 and I had always used no less than 94 before. Well I ran 89 once and my bike DID NOT take to it at all. It actually was surging and bucking so hard the people riding beside me could SEE it bucking and could hear the surges in my rpms. I thought there was something seriously wrong with the bike. I put 94 back in it and it stopped. This happened two times that I made the switch. If that is the case though how do I fix it? Its nothing bad but its really annoying and worries me.

First, stop buying gas at the cheapo mart. If it's surging and bucking, with no other changes that would affect your fueling requirements, then you've got bad gas. Period. Buy from a completely different company.

I'm willing to bet $20 this solves your pinging as well.

First, stop buying gas at the cheapo mart.  If it's surging and bucking, with no other changes that would affect your fueling requirements, then you've got bad gas.  Period.  Buy from a completely different company.

I'm willing to bet $20 this solves your pinging as well.
It's not the qaulity of the gas that caused it. I bought from two different locations that were like 50 miles apart from one another both times I used the lower grade. My bike just was not agreeing with the lower octane. I use Sunoco gas everyime I fill up which around here is good quality fuel. However I stopped the the surging and bucking 3 weeks ago and have since ran about 10 full tanks of fuel through it and it is still making the pinging noise. I am really confused.......

Did you check your PC-III maps? Maybe there is a newer and better one out there for the Akrapovic you are using? This is a possibility.

I still suspect something as simple as fuel, but it could well be something more serious than that...I sure hope not.

From my experience - this reeks of *Pinging* so I think a fuel line flush and Fi checkup should solve your problems.

Did you check your PC-III maps? Maybe there is a newer and better one out there for the Akrapovic you are using? This is a possibility.

I still suspect something as simple as fuel, but it could well be something more serious than that...I sure hope not.

From my experience - this  reeks of *Pinging* so I think a fuel line flush and Fi checkup should solve your problems.
I think thats what it is to. So to fix that it needs a fuel line flush and injector check?

YUP, you spoiled your bike on 94 and it is rebelling. Need to take it to the doctor and have it's brain reset and retro fitted with a kinder one.

(new/different PC map, clean filters fuel/air, purged gas tank, new plugs, and an Italian tune up)

Back