Weird Fact

Speed King

Banned
An Indian discovered that nobody can create a FOLDER anywhere on the computer which can be named as "CON".

This is something pretty cool...and unbelievable... At Microsoft the whole Team, including Bill Gates, couldn't answer why this happened!

TRY IT NOW !!

IT WILL NOT CREATE "CON " FOLDER.......instead it will name it as new folder....TRY IT !!!"

I got "the specified device name is invalid"

The only way I got it to work was to put a period between the each letter.

very strange indeed.

I bet it comes from the DOS days.

Con = Console "Copy con" into a batch file was a pretty common command for me to use back in the day! :)

That's exactly right, you can't create folders with reserved device names. When you choose 'new folder', Windows creates a folder with that name and then renames it to whatever you type in, if you type something invalid then it doesn't rename it, and just leaves it as "New Folder"

An Indian discovered that nobody can create a FOLDER anywhere on the computer which can be named as "CON".

This is something pretty cool...and unbelievable... At Microsoft the whole Team, including Bill Gates, couldn't answer why this happened!

TRY IT NOW !!

IT WILL NOT CREATE "CON " FOLDER.......instead it will name it as new folder....TRY IT !!!"

:thumbsup: To fellow Indians :cheerleader:

To be honest, didnt think it's true, til I tried. And when I saw the explanation of 'Professor', it made sense. But a little bit surprise MS being the OS, didnt put a layer between file/folder name and system device names.

:thumbsup: To fellow Indians :cheerleader:

To be honest, didnt think it's true, til I tried. And when I saw the explanation of 'Professor', it made sense. But a little bit surprise MS being the OS, didnt put a layer between file/folder name and system device names.

That is probably due to the HAL in newer operating systems. That is just a guess though. It’s funny how stuff from computers 20-30 years ago is still around.

The DOS prompt is still being used.

Yep, I have seen thing go from command line, to GUI, and now heading back to command line. I am speaking from the perspective of a systems administrator, not an end user.

Yep, I have seen thing go from command line, to GUI, and now heading back to command line. I am speaking from the perspective of a systems administrator, not an end user.

I am still in command line and never left. (Work related)

Yeah, exactly as everyone else has said...can't name folders with reserved "device" names.

So, we have this nifty slick accounting software at work that is supposed to be able to run the entire shebang. Guess what...I still have to go back to the old black screen with green text alllll every single day to do most of my job and it's not even into the guts of accounting....I move around complete goods...

Let's just say that SAP is NOT as good as they try to make it out to be....

Back