We Design Experts & Guru's

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Hey you web design experts, I have a little favor to ask...

I have a web site for local area riders, My cousin help me set it up and it works ok, but I dont really like the design and layout. Now I know we could get it to do all kinds of cool stuff if we throw enough $ at it. I am trying to make it look a little better on a very small budget.

So if you have any suggestions on how to do that or where to shop for a different template or skin
rock.gif
Fire away!!!!

It is operating with a ( DNN 3.3.4 )  and a "Dynamic menu system"  whatever those are
rock.gif

Here's what we have :   http://www.norcalriders.org/

Here's what I like  # 7482    
http://www.brobstsystems.com/motorcycle.html

Thanks for any ideas - Kent

rock.gif

Kento-Moto,

I took a quick peek, and those templates you appear to be PHP driven. Your current site looks like it's .NET. I'm not sure what kind of "control" you have over the hardware/software on your site, but migration could be a PITA.

Not sure what your pain threshold (measured in time and expertise) is in maintaining a site, but if you're looking for a change, keep that in mind. I would TEND to say that a good portion of the PHP stuff out there would be a bit more complicated to take care of, but if you want a dynamic (the web type of dynamic, not the average joe type of dynamic) site, .NET or PHP is a solid choice.

If you just want a cool menu system, there's TONS of free stuff out there that's JavaScript, Java, or even Flash based. I haven't checked, but I'm sure there's free .NET stuff out there too (I just haven't searched for it).

Not sure if I helped or not, but I hope I did.

Good luck.

P.S. Also, not trying to be an Okole Puka, but having music on your site like that is not really considered good form.

Alan, thanx for the input. I really dont know what I am doing and most of what you said is way over my head.

Maybe I should ask this; If I want the site to look more attractive and do cooler stuff, like have a flash intro, black or color frame, have some cool drop down menu's ... should I start over again with a total different template or just try and ad to what I have?

Thanks - Kento E'ha Kake Okole'
biggrin.gif

Kento,

No problem. BTW, I'm a stupid haole, so I don't know what E'ha Kake Okole' means, so you'll have to enlighten me.
smile.gif

As to your site, it's fairly complex in that you've got a portal which has a Gallery, Forums, etc. If you don't have a lot of technical expertise, modifying what you have may be a bad idea. It's easy to break stuff. I looked up the DOTNETNUKE (which is the framework or "program") which is used to create your site, and it's probably overkill for what you're trying to do.

Since your last post indicates you seem more concerned with the appearance factors, maybe it would be best to start with a "blank sheet". I would play around with different templates, or even different menu systems, and see what you like. Or if you're bold, you can copy your existing site, and start playing around with the stylesheets and other files that drive your DOTNETNUKE site. (use a test system, and not the standard or production site). Here's a link to getting familiar with your existing framework.

The other thing to think about is the tooling you're going to use to maintain the site. I don't know what you're currently using, but it's going to be painful if you're using Notepad or a text editor. Go to a bookstore, and look at the books that are listed on the above link. What do they suggest? I know there is (or used to be) a free MSDN environment which is basically your "editing environment". Having the right tools can save you a TON of time in the creation/maintenance of a website.

Let me know if I can help. I'm not a professional web designer, but I've done a few (personal, work intranets, etc.). Simplicity in both design and layout goes a long way in making it easy to maintain.

--Alan

(Juggler @ Feb. 28 2007,18:25) Kento,

No problem.  BTW, I'm a stupid haole, so I don't know what E'ha Kake Okole' means, so you'll have to enlighten me.  
smile.gif
Right on! Thanx again, time money .... are very limted so I'll have to figure out what the next step will be for us.

The above expression is losely: " I'm a pain in the butt "
rolleyes_extreme.gif

Back